FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

YouTube Movie Making Topic

<<

Fireskull

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Sun System, Earth, USA...Somewhere roaming in the mid-west of America! LOL!

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:40 am

YouTube Movie Making Topic

Hello, my friends :)

This is the place to learn everything about making a YouTube video which you could post in this Screenshots, Images & Video forum. Use this topic for the instructional things. Post your finished videos by making your own topic about it.

YouTube Movie Making Topic will inspire more people to create YouTube videos, especially IL-2 ones. As a bonus to all of us, the increased number of YouTube IL-2 videos will draw viewers to discover both IL-2 and our community.

Post links to your YouTube video only for instructional purposes here. You may include a screen capture of your YouTube video in your post or about an aspect of how to do it for illustrative purposes.

If you have technical experience that you want to share or want to ask a question, then please feel free to post here.

Remember to give credits in your YouTube movie to everyone who helped you with IL-2 and your video.

The very clear basic instructions that members give in this topic will be included in this first post and credit will be given for that.

Here are a few things to consider as preparation for making a YouTube video:

1) It might be necessary to install a software tool out Program Files in order to get it to work for you.

2) When the user has a late model Operating System, the need might be there to run a program in Compatibility Mode for the Operating System in which the software was designed (older software). Right click on the program icon. A window will appear. Look for the Properties tab. Click on it and another window will open. Look for words like "Run application in compatibility mode for Windows XP service pack 2", for example. Since many software have been updated to the latest operating systems, this technique is seldom needed.

3) Guide by << Erg./JG54_crazty:

Thank you Fireskull for giving me this opportunity ,this is a very basic guide to take you through the technical set up to get a video captured from a game and produce an edited movie. I will keep it to the basics for this guide and stick to one process, the process that I currently use for my own movies. These concepts can be transferred to any setup.
You will need FRAPS to capture the game footage, VirtualDub for pre and post processing and a non linear editor - in my case I am using Sony Vegas 9 . Codecs I am using are DivX and HuffyUV codec.

1) Set up your game, IL2, to 1024x768 resolution (or as high as you can make it and still Frap without stutters ,i use 1680x1050).

Set up Fraps as shown, and capture your raw footage.

Open the frapped video in VirtualDub.

Click on 'Audio' and select 'No Audio'.

Click on ËœVideo', then ËœFrame Rate'.

Select ˜Change to' and type in ˜24'.

Click ËœVideo', then Compression'

Select ËœHuffyUV 2.1.1' then press ËœOK'

Drag the slider to frame 12 and press the Ëœmark-in' button, then drag to frame 130 and press the Ëœmark-out' button.

Click ËœFile' then ËœSave As' and save the file as Ëœblabla clip - HuffyUV.avi'

2 ) Start Sony Vegas.
Click ËœFile' then ËœProperties' and enter all the settings shown below. Save this setup for future use by pressing the disk icon.

Drop the clip Ëœblabla clip - HuffyUV.avi' into the first video track.

Click the Event Pan/Crop icon in the clip, then right click on the preview in the Event Pan/Crop window and select ËœMatch Output Aspect' (you can do a lot more creative camera work with this window) Close the Event Pan/Crop window.or see the image above!

You can then add any more raw video captures but for this guide we are keeping it very basic with just one clip.

Drop some music into the first audio track and change the duration to match the video clip. Add fades at the start and end of the video and music track.

3 ) After your project is finished Click ËœFile', then ËœRender As'.

The first time you do this you need to set up the render settings and save them. For subsequent renders you just use the saved settings (See foto). To get a clean template, open the Template drop down menu and select ËœDefault Template'.

Click ËœCustom', then click the ËœVideo' tab and enter all the settings shown below (Also click " PROJECT " and set video Rendering Quality To the "BEST"). Save this setup by giving it a name and pressing the disk icon.

Press OK, make the File name ËœTest' and press ËœSave'.

IMPORTANT : THIS SETTINGS ARE FOR HD 1080x720 the highest resolution for youtube

NOTE : useful Tools and downloads
1) To get VirtualDub : http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ ( and hit this List download mirrors for V1.9.9 (32-bit) release build (VirtualDub-1.9.9.zip) )
2) FRAPS : http://www.fraps.com/download.php
3) HuffYUV : http://www.free-codecs.com/download/HuffYUV.htm

For clear smooth Recorded clips the best solution is to record your clips with TrackIr and set it to smooth sensitivity!

Hope to See new movies From new Movie makers :)

!S Erg./JG54_s0crazty
<<

KG64_Cnopicilin

Mod Member

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 am

Re: YouTube Movie Making Topic

I'd love to know why the fraps drops my 60 FPS to 3 when I start recording.
My rig is powerful enough to run MW2 on highest possible settings without anti-aliasing.
<<

katdog5

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks for this topic Fireskull. Your Computer, Benchmarking, Optimizing, and Tweaking for IL-2 thread has helped me a ton. I'm looking for a little technical advice/suggestions from some movie makers. At times, I am still having the darnedest time getting fraps to work properly with Win7,Up2.01,gtx285, 12gb ram,quad core p6x58d,and TrackIRV5; ProcessAffinityMask=2. I am recording to a external HD.Fraps v 3.2.3

I am getting a few crashes and some stuttering now and then, esp on graphical-intensive missions/maps like 352's channel, Hawaii, etc. with cloudy weather and 70 plus planes. i.e. While running a coop server, Ill be flying through clouds and switch my view, record or activate my TrackIR (F9) and Ill crash to a white screen. However, I can still hear the sounds and the game continues on the coop end. This only seems to happen with fraps running.

I thought Id share the 4 things that have helped me the most so far:
(1) I disabled the screen overlay in fraps, (2) locked the frame rate at 30fps, (3) changed water to 3 and (4) changed these settings to in my conf.ini (the first and last tweak seemed to help the most --thanks to StG77_HaDeS):

Code:
TexMipFilter=2
Specular=1
SpecularLight=0

Recording is typically very good with clear skies and a few planes. However, I still would like to optimize and be able to record without crashing during coop. It should be very possible

If any of you great movie makers have some more advice Id greatly appreciate it. Some real epic movies out there. Also...

Anyone have any experience Activating "Safe_DLLs" which is included in the UP 2.0 package? Maybe that helps?
I checked and I am running compatibility mode xp sp3 for fraps, but not trackir or il2. Could that be an issue?
I am not using any max memory exe TiR in the JSGME. Maybe I should?

EDIT: Ok, maybe I asked my questions too soon (Ill answer my own questions :oops: )....I downloaded the 4Gbexe file for 64 bit systems and saw some improvement; I also activated Safe_DLLs and saw a HUGE improvement WOW...that did the trick

I was a bit hesitant to go enabling mods all willy nilly, but the dlls did the trick. Great addon! I hope this helps someone else. Running smooth as silk now....
Last edited by katdog5 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Erg./JG54_crazty

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:37 pm

:D
Last edited by Erg./JG54_crazty on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

KG64_Cnopicilin

Mod Member

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:04 pm

I have to get Windows 7... None of my video editors won't render...
<<

Erg./JG54_crazty

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:26 pm

KG64_Cnopicilin wrote:I have to get Windows 7... None of my video editors won't render...

Why m8 I can help you i have everything for win 7 even for 64 bit win7 :P we can talk private :D
<<

KG64_Cnopicilin

Mod Member

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

My vista is slowly killing itself, I think, sometimes the mouse freeze and a click results in a beep and so on...
'Should reinstall but it's easier to just format the drive and install clean 7 :D
<<

Erg./JG54_crazty

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 pm

KG64_Cnopicilin wrote:My vista is slowly killing itself, I think, sometimes the mouse freeze and a click results in a beep and so on...
'Should reinstall but it's easier to just format the drive and install clean 7 :D

Yes like i said in previous Topic In Latins SVISTA means Delete so S-VISTA :) Win7 for the win!And dont worry for the editors and programs i can help you 100% i have everything because i use both systems Win xp and Win7 32-64 bits So go on with your Format :)
<<

Dogtail2

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:54 pm

Only trouble is, after you have done all this and posted your video, You Tube then delete the music due to copyright, as I found out :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-TZsgo ... re=channel

Had to put it here to keep the audio:-

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1375/newyearsday.mp4
<<

katdog5

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Dogtail2 wrote:Only trouble is, after you have done all this and posted your video, You Tube then delete the music due to copyright, as I found out :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-TZsgo ... re=channel

Had to put it here to keep the audio:-

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1375/newyearsday.mp4

When this happens and the song is perfect.....upload a "Live" version and you'll usually be golden. 8)
<<

Erg./JG54_crazty

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:40 pm

I have solution for the Copyright but i have to post Programs and not aloud here but... you can change The speed of the song by Slower it 0.01S per Sec and add your own description and after all this process you "OWN" the music of the video :) i do this in all my videos!

Ps : Dogtail2 this is you in the video? Nice btw!
<<

Fireskull

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Sun System, Earth, USA...Somewhere roaming in the mid-west of America! LOL!

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 am

Good day, everyone :)

I updated the first post in this topic.
<<

Dogtail2

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Ok I did it!
I got my video up on YouTube WITH the audio :)
Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb4w0ZAerCM
<<

Erg./JG54_crazty

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Dogtail2 wrote:Ok I did it!
I got my video up on YouTube WITH the audio :)
Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb4w0ZAerCM

Not anymore :P Just Upload the original video and i will make it for you !
<<

Dogtail2

Post Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:52 am

Ok false alarm.

The music worked for a while but was deleted again by YouTube :(
I made the video and added the music with Windows Movie Maker but cant figure out how to slow the music slightly as Erg./JG54_crazty suggested.
Next

Return to Screenshots, Images & Video