FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Another newbie trying to mod :)

<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 am

Another newbie trying to mod :)

Hi to all.
the mod I'm trying to make is a modification to devicelink, in sense, i wish to export some other internal variables. For starters I'm in bad need to get the positioning on the map. I don't know if this was done before, however i didn't find it.
So is anyone able/willing to provide some help regarding this kind of modding? or similar mod exist? source code available? Or even someone willing to make the mod?
<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 am

Re: Another newbie trying to mod :)

Nvm figured it out :)
Didn't knew it was thas that simple, I <3 Java
<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 am

Ok, i managed to write the mod however looks like i dont know how to properly install it into the game :) Tryed to copy the files into the il2/Files/ folder where i got them and nothing changed. So can any1 help me with that? :P
<<

Verhängnis

Mod Member

Location: At the Heinkel Factory wipping up some new Variants...

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:18 am

What is the device link and what are you modifying about it?
<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Ok i finished the mod. I figured it all by myself \o/
Devicelink is il2's protocol to comunicate with a 3rd party programs, for people that make thair own cockpit models or similar.You can also send commands tru that protocol, more or less everything u can keybind, u shuld look the readme devicelink.txt in il2 folder :)
However i wanted device link to export also x and y coordinates where the plane on the map is for my experimenting, so i wrote the mod :)
Anyway heres the my first experiment:
Can the ingame coordinates be translated into reallife longiture/latitude coordinates and the flight history be displayed in google earth?
Yes apparently it can!
i used the map okinawa and with photoshop i overlaped the both maps and found the latitude and longitude offset.
heres the result:
testFlight.zip
<<

Verhängnis

Mod Member

Location: At the Heinkel Factory wipping up some new Variants...

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:47 am

Wow that is interesting, very interesting, and I just realised Google Earth has 3D water and you can go under it, But might I ask what the point of this mod is?
<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:25 am

Well i got 2 uses for external position via devicelink.
1. is well flight history review, similar what u get when u finish the mission except this is realtime and 3d
2. main purpose to use il2 as an UAV simulator, for my autopilot project.
<<

WhoDatNotSayin

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:10 pm

w1ndf4k3r, if you haven't yet seen it, you may find this of interest: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4121016097?r=4121016097#4121016097
<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:35 pm

yeah ive notice that thread, however as far as i know he didnt have the x,y position i accomplished that so now i can use il2 for some serius uav testing :)
<<

KG64_Cnopicilin

Mod Member

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 am

Welcome to the forum, well done.
<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:00 am

Thanks, also I've added an accurate(in milliseconds) time export which is good for certain calculations (groundspeed,rollrate,pitchrate,etc..).
As for sharing the actual mod i am undecided. I am willing to share however, since at the beginning i didn't know where to start i used as an example the Devicelink online mod found on this forums, so my mod know is online enabled which imho is abusable so i wont share this version, but i will rewrite the mod using the original device link. So the question about sharing is more about me being lazy to rewrite it :)

Also I've succesfuly created few autopilot parts. My autopilot can hold bank/pitch, Vertical speed, and/or altitude. ex: Plane is at 2000m and i tell autopilot to hold altitude at 2m, the plane will descent and hold altitude and fly level 2m from sea :) Now all that is left is heading hold and i can easily make an 3d waypoint navigation.
<<

KG64_Cnopicilin

Mod Member

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 am

w1ndf4k3r wrote:Thanks, also I've added an accurate(in milliseconds) time export which is good for certain calculations (groundspeed,rollrate,pitchrate,etc..).
As for sharing the actual mod i am undecided. I am willing to share however, since at the beginning i didn't know where to start i used as an example the Devicelink online mod found on this forums, so my mod know is online enabled which imho is abusable so i wont share this version, but i will rewrite the mod using the original device link. So the question about sharing is more about me being lazy to rewrite it :)

Also I've succesfuly created few autopilot parts. My autopilot can hold bank/pitch, Vertical speed, and/or altitude. ex: Plane is at 2000m and i tell autopilot to hold altitude at 2m, the plane will descent and hold altitude and fly level 2m from sea :) Now all that is left is heading hold and i can easily make an 3d waypoint navigation.

Wow, you're going to be one of the top dogs here with your mods :)
<<

w1ndf4k3r

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Oh maybe i wasnt that clear, the autopilot thing i spoke about isn't a mod, is a 3rd party program that controls il tru devicelink. the only mod i applied to il was add "gps", which at the moment my autopilot doesnt even use.
<<

snoopy1394

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:46 am

w1ndf4k3r wrote:Ok i finished the mod. I figured it all by myself \o/
Devicelink is il2's protocol to comunicate with a 3rd party programs, for people that make thair own cockpit models or similar.You can also send commands tru that protocol, more or less everything u can keybind, u shuld look the readme devicelink.txt in il2 folder :)
However i wanted device link to export also x and y coordinates where the plane on the map is for my experimenting, so i wrote the mod :)
Anyway heres the my first experiment:
Can the ingame coordinates be translated into reallife longiture/latitude coordinates and the flight history be displayed in google earth?
Yes apparently it can!
i used the map okinawa and with photoshop i overlaped the both maps and found the latitude and longitude offset.
heres the result:
testFlight.zip

Hi I would like to do the same mod. I didn't find any informations about write a mod. Please could you tell me what I need, if you have also a small piece of code.
Thx in advence.
Frederic
<<

Tex-Twil

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 am

Hi,
I'm also interested in having this extended Device Link. Did you publish the mod somewhere ?

regards
Next

Return to MOD Creation Tutorials and Assistance