All-Aircraft-Simulations
Central, and Southern Burma Map? - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: Central, and Southern Burma Map? (/showthread.php?tid=52559)

Pages: 1 2 3

Central, and Southern Burma Map? - Dixiecapt - 13.02.2008

I almost feel silly starting this post because Im so amazed by all of the other maps the Pacific Team and Other map Artist are working on, I know how hard they are, and how much time and effort you put into them so I really doubt that anyone would be gung ho about this, or have the time, However I thought I'd bring it up.

I wanted to start a map for Central and Southern Burma, but then became overloaded by what it takes to make a map. If things quiet down for me I will indeed stick my nose in the tutorials again and figure it out, anyways...

I wanted to ask if anyone was interested in the Burma Road, Rangoon area, and if anyone had given any thought to making a map of said area. If so I'd love to help any way I can, but personaly tackling the project isn't something Im going to be able to do as of now...

Just thought I'd throw it out there incase anyone got excited about the Idea and jumped all over it.

Smile

oh! - Dixiecapt - 13.02.2008

I was going to remind folks that this wouldnt just be useful for a Flying Tigers Bit, or RAF Far East in the Fall of Burma, but by including the central Burma area you could write out the march of the 14th Army down the Gangaw Vally, Across the Irawaddy River, and the very interesting battles of Mandalay, and errr Mektilia (SP), Pegu and the japanese evacuation of Rangoon including Operation Dracula.

Just a thought, but like I said above... Most of the map modders seem so busy that I wouldn't be suprised if no one had the time.

- GerritJ9 - 13.02.2008

Right now I'm assisting big_yamato with his West Java map (mainly collecting maps, sketches, photos etc), have made a tentative start on the East Java map and am considering a few possibilities for a Borneo map. All this will keep me quite busy for a long time (no "two weeks, be sure" here.........). After that? Well, the stock Singapore map is dreadful and needs a lot of work to become acceptable so count me out, I'm afraid.
Having said that, why don't you start work yourself? Unlike 1C we are not forced to work to deadlines, so you can work on it whenever you have the time/inclination/inspiration. And don't feel overloaded- it's new for all of us, so we can learn from each other as we build up our knowledge!

Wonder if Oleg isn't kicking himself for restricting mapmaking to a few specially selected third-party individuals/groups..............

- asheshouse - 13.02.2008

If I wasn't busy doing Northeast France this is probably the area I would have gone for.
In campaign terms it has all the attractions of a long slogging match where one side starts off badly outclassed but gradually recovers, stands ground and fights back.

There is a lot that could be done by taking the existing Imphal map and extending it north to pick up Kohima where fighting was going on at the same time, and then extending east you pick up the area where the Chinese forces with Stilwell were coming onto the scene.

The advantage of extending incrementally like this is that each step is easier to achieve.

I've toyed with the idea of putting together SRTM data for the whole of Burma in one go.
That would be about 1400x1200km stretching from The Gulf of Martaban to Calcutta and north to Fort Hertz. Well of course it would be too big to work? Might be fun finding out though.
-- and once you've discovered it doesn't work you can always slice up the SRTM data into smaller areas instead.

- Dixiecapt - 13.02.2008

yeah i had trouble with the early tutorials but now that they have been packaged and re worked into a Tutorial Topic I might have a better go at it!

we'll see Smile

- fabianfred - 13.02.2008

I'm like you......looking at all the work to make a map...it all looks very daunting.....but then a guy pops up and starts to make the Falklands and another guy wants to enlarge the pacific islands...and they have nothing but questions too....
so I was thinking.....maybe I had better have a try sometime.......although there wasn't really any involvement in WW2...it would be fun to make a Thailand map of that period.....not many roads or railways...lol....nothing but jungle and rice fields......and I also thought that if I were to include some of Burma.......

just thinking out loud......i know there is a small il2 communty here in thailand...they'd probably love a map of it too.

- spud - 13.02.2008

The AVG attacked the airfield at Chiang Mai as I recall Big Grin

There are some Thai Ki-43 paint schemes as well. There might be a mention of such things in the national museum, I seem to recall as I walked through that all of a sudden it was no longer in english and thai, just thai Wink

tater

spud Wrote:The AVG attacked the airfield at Chiang Mai as I recall Big Grin

There are some Thai Ki-43 paint schemes as well. There might be a mention of such things in the national museum, I seem to recall as I walked through that all of a sudden it was no longer in english and thai, just thai Wink

tater

no problem...I live just 150km. North of Chiangmai...about 120km. from the Golden Triangle

..and I read Thai quite OK...after being here for 16 years :wink:

- spud - 13.02.2008

I've been up there years ago.

Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, etc.

Pretty country.

Yes.....I live in Fang Big Grin

- spud - 13.02.2008

The beaches south were nice, but I have to say I enjoyed the north more, although in a different way. More of a "I could live here" way (I felt the same way about Nepal, too). Nice people.

spud Wrote:The beaches south were nice, but I have to say I enjoyed the north more, although in a different way. More of a "I could live here" way (I felt the same way about Nepal, too). Nice people.

my last three years in the army were with the Gurkhas in HongKong...yes...great guys..
I think we've gone OT on his thread though :oops:

- Dixiecapt - 14.02.2008

The New Tutorial Topic is fantastic!

Wow how cool is that, I've been reading alot on the Gurkhas that fought with the 14th Army at Imphal, and then swept down the Gangaw Valley for Rangoon.

I've just about got that 40 misson Modded 4.09 Campaign Finished that follows that part of the war in Burma. The first 5 missions are fun because it's odd missions, like picking up pilots, secret recons, and picking up vip refugees behind enemy lines with the OSS in Italy. The rest is mostly B-25H with the 1st Air Commando Group, which is basicly like flying a heavy Fighter bomber campains... Ok I rant, off topic sorry >.

- fly_zo - 14.02.2008

@Dixiecapt:

to get you back on topic ..... have you decided to give map making a try ?

If so :

not sure if i did send you tools ....... if not PM me your mail address , please

cheers,
Z

- Dixiecapt - 15.02.2008

yeah I have been looking into it, but I'm keeping priority in the Campaigns that I have about a weeks worth of work left on.

One thing i got snagged on is, well two things I got snagged on were... How to get the black and white outline map, I understand a Photoshop like program is used but I've been stumped on that.

The other thing are the Map_ files, like Map_c and stuff like that...

I'm sure i simply over looked it though if its in one of the many tutorials.

I would Indeed like to shift from Campaign building, to Map building!