All-Aircraft-Simulations
Spain - Old Map with New Textures - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: Spain - Old Map with New Textures (/showthread.php?tid=60129)

Pages: 1 2

Spain - Old Map with New Textures - agracier - 20.03.2009

There are a dearth of maps of Spain for Il-2. I only ever found one about a year ago, the dlc_SpainSW map, featuring a part of southwest Spain. It is a good geographical map, but still a WIP as it is lacking roads, railroads and only has 2 towns and airfields.

But the landscape is well done with lots of mountains and hills. And there are no other maps of Spain for Il-2 anyway.

To improve the look I tried making some new textures that would better reflect the nature of Spanish terrain, and by almost pure happenstance put some together from satellite photos that ended up looking rather well - much to my own surprise I must add. They try to give a warmer and deeper color to terrain as well as showing cultivated fields and orchards and barrancos. I've tried to limit fields running up mountain sides and generally it's been eliminated, though here and there it will occur anyway.

They are here in the install file, including the original map should anyone not have it. Install instructions are included for the original map and for the new textures. There are 2 versions of maps with the new textures: one is for the proverbial reddish earth color and the other is a bit greener. Both are approximations and more intended for an atmospheric rendering of the map terrain rather than for strict accuracy.

Please note that I haven't altered the map in any way except by providing some new textures. I would dearly love to see the map worked out further with roads and more cities and airfields, but I have no skill at that at all. You'll have to take the map as it is. Anyone else wishing to work it out will certainly be appreciated. But just remember, it is not a map of my making. It is a map that used to be here on the site for downloading. I believe that the dlc prefix is for a member called delco, but am not 100% sure of this. Whoever made the map though has my appreciation.

The textures give best results when flying at dawn or dusk (5/6h or 18/19h), and frankly look uninspiring and unappealing around midday. Why that is so I don't know, but it is. Please take that into account. They also look odd when zoomed in in the FMB or in 3D view, but when flying the look of the landscape is quite different.

Below are several download links and a number of screenshots to give an idea of how the map textures look.

Download via MediaFire
http://www.mediafire.com/?j0dvdijmymw

Download via sendspace:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zgmga4

Download via File-Upload
http://www.file-upload.eu/download-1540 ... s.rar.html

(The link is inoperative)

- GADGET - 20.03.2009

Thank you

- RRuger - 20.03.2009

WOW! some of those shots are photo realistic, very nice, nice map too, TY Wink

- bettyboop - 21.03.2009

Gracias amigo

- Beowolff - 21.03.2009

on that first download link... my antivirus went berserk... half a dozen alarms went off telling me that an unwanted unsafe program was trying to penetrate my security. right about that time, some sort of FAKE windows security program took over my IE window and claimed to be running a security scan...but my REAL security scan was telling me that it was trying to force an unwanted program into my computer.

all this before i could even begin to download the map.

hell, i'm scare of it now.

i appreciate your work on this but that site has me worried.

:?

- KG64_Cnopicilin - 21.03.2009

Great work!

- agracier - 21.03.2009

New post Reply with quote
on that first download link... my antivirus went berserk

Hmmm very odd. I've been using sendspace for years now to handle most of my file transferring, both for professional as for recreational needs. I've never received a complaint yet ... and I just tried it again and all seems to work as it should. Yesterday I must have sent out some 7 or 8 other sendspace links for work and to friends and all worked as it should.

Maybe you have very stringent antivirus settings.

Anyway, that's why I have provided another download link and I will put up another as well today.

- dup - 21.03.2009

Thank you for these !
Great work.

I just tried it but as soon as I try to open a map the game disappear to windows desktop... Cry
Investigation begins !

- asheshouse - 21.03.2009

Beautiful looking textures, and with all those SCW skins it really looks authentic.
Good luck with developing the map further.

- dup - 21.03.2009

hs_err_pid1228.log
Code:
An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at PC=0x771f8516
Function name=RtlTryEnterCriticalSection
Library=C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll
logfile.log
Code:
[8:48:12]    WARNING: Text

It seems to be a texture problem...
Anyone else ?

- agracier - 21.03.2009

I just tried it but as soon as I try to open a map the game disappear to windows desktop... Investigation begins !

I had that as well when I put my landscape details to 'perfect'. All other graphic settings were at max settings. But on my install of the game I have to use the second best landscape setting - 'excellent' or else the game disappears too ...

- GADGET - 21.03.2009

Do you remenber where can I download the actual map?

- dup - 21.03.2009

Quote:I had that as well when I put my landscape details to 'perfect'. All other graphic settings were at max settings. But on my install of the game I have to use the second best landscape setting - 'excellent' or else the game disappears too ...
Oh that's odd... Sad
Thanks for the tip ! :wink:

- agracier - 21.03.2009

Do you remenber where can I download the actual map?

The old map install files are included in the download link above. The original post from about a year ago containing the map is no longer on the site.

Everything you need is in the download links above. Old map in its entirety and new textures and map load.ini files.

- sir_charles - 21.03.2009

thank you for the map!
but, i think murcia and alicante are at the south-east of spain... Confusedhock: :oops:
Quote:There are a dearth of maps of Spain for Il-2. I only ever found one about a year ago, the dlc_SpainSW map, featuring a part of southwest Spain. It is a good geographical map, but still a WIP as it is lacking roads, railroads and only has 2 towns and airfields.