All-Aircraft-Simulations
Autopop - BETA v0.1.0 - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: Autopop - BETA v0.1.0 (/showthread.php?tid=53244)

Pages: 1 2 3

- canonuk - 30.03.2008

It works perfectly with 800 textures, but I couldn't get it to work with 1600 textures. Those ones appear blank, sadly Sad

- delco - 31.03.2008

Ok I

- delco - 01.04.2008

Well it seems to work for me, please make sure you are making the template for 1600 as shown in the readme. Anyway you should try the new version I

- lowfighter - 01.04.2008

Very nice!
I'll be starting testing tomorrow, I hope, depending on time.
Just crossed my mind, there are old Normandy Northwest Europe and and Italy where also the crop filelds were populated a bit by the authors with some buildings houses etc. Similar things can be done now with the Autopop tool. What was not that good with these maps was that the same pattern consisting on a small number of building types repeated over and over on these fields so after a while you got the feeling of being artificial. But if Flying Nutcase releases his FoW, it can be used to get the desired variation to the fields population of the final map.

- delco - 02.04.2008

Well I thought about that too, maybe we could use a big template (as 3200m) a few country houses on a texture of let

- asheshouse - 02.04.2008

Great job Delco.
Thanks.

I'm still in the process of getting my templates finished.
About half way through that at the moment.

Will provide more feedback when I've used it in earnest.

- lowfighter - 03.04.2008

Been working too creating a template for the old downcity.tga. Used Flying Nutcase FoW tool to randomize the buildings, looking not too bad, maybe I'll post some screens next days...

- lowfighter - 06.04.2008

Here some wip on templates after I used them with autopop on net1summer map. Used FOW to randomise buildings in some stage (the initial template had only one type of building), helped a lot saving time.
Not looking that bad but not looking that good either hehe. Need to find some ways to enliven it, oppinions?

[Image: city1.jpg]

- RAF_Magpie - 06.04.2008

Idea what about putting some buildings inside the blocks - that will 'bulk' it out a bit Wink

- Zorin - 06.04.2008

For such a big town, it is highly uncommon to have such loose configurations and that many different types of buildings. You should try to use the multi story city house types in the center and actually create city zones, placing lesser and more basic shelters at the city perimeter.

Something I dislike in general is the street layout, which doesn't follow any logical pattern and includes way too many/big green spots.

Studying architecture here, so I guess I know what I'm talking about Wink

- Zorin - 06.04.2008

[Image: block_1.jpg]

[Image: block_2.jpg]

[Image: block_3.jpg]

- kapteeni - 06.04.2008

Zorin Wrote:For such a big town, it is highly uncommon to have such loose configurations and that many different types of buildings. You should try to use the multi story city house types in the center and actually create city zones, placing lesser and more basic shelters at the city perimeter.

Something I dislike in general is the street layout, which doesn't follow any logical pattern and includes way too many/big green spots.

Studying architecture here, so I guess I know what I'm talking about Wink
+1
No . I did not study architecture. I studyed filmmaking and photographics. But i hate big "cities" in IL2. Well, i also hate them in MS 2004 ans FSX :twisted:

- lowfighter - 06.04.2008

Hey thanks M8s for suggestions! Big Grin
Magpie, that's one hint I'm considering, would like to place some other stuff in the middle too, have to be careful about not placing too many objects though.
Zorin, a few remarks to your suggestions and screenshots.
This is a town template I was showing. As such the most important thing is to be featureless. otherwise if you use them on a map you'll see the same distinct features in all town. Being a template it means that when I autopop a map with it, next comes the mission of personalizing the towns, and that includes concentrating buildings in the "heart of the town". That also cleaning the incnsistencies, like big buildings at the edges etc, those you can't avoid because the way the game places the texturres and so on, no matter how you build the town templates. There are 3 textures for towns: down mid and centercity with more green in downcity etc. In the shot you see mostly the midcity template, the buildings are more sparse at the edges where there is downcity texture. I dislike the centercity texture, the ground is so dark, hopefully new town textures will come. These textures are not very rational and it's hard to populate the town in a credible way...Slovakia ones are much better
The other thing is density of objects which worries me, so I think for a template it's good to be a bit economical, that's why I can't think making a tewn template at the level of detail you showed in your very nice screenshots. To have such detail and still have good fps over a town, that would be fantastic! It's quite an interesting subject: how to make a town look ok without so much detail such that the fps will not suffer. Big Grin
I think it'd be profitable discussing this stuff at large and I'm planing to start a thread inviting people to post ideas and screenshots of town templates or simply towns . Same goes for village or industrial areas..

- canonuk - 06.04.2008

For some reason I can't get act.jar to generate a working actors file when I use autopop.

I'm using the latest version and I can generate the templates and then the inBuildings.txt file. Then, I copy the inBuildings.txt file into the same folder as act.jar and I also copy over the 'in' files that come with Autopop. I run 'Create' on act.jar and an actors.static file is created, but when I try and load the map it crashes to desktop!

Any ideas? I'd really like to use Autopop since I have the opportunity with my 'blank' Channel map to rapidly populate my cities.

Thanks,
Joe

- lowfighter - 07.04.2008

I'll try testing tomorrow, I've had a similar problem crashing to desktop because of actors.static, fixed it but I don't remember how or what was the problem :oops: