All-Aircraft-Simulations
DCG: An idiot's Guide - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: 4.09m (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=365)
+---- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP MAP 4.09m (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=335)
+---- Thread: DCG: An idiot's Guide (/showthread.php?tid=51687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- Scharnhorst1943 - 24.01.2008

Mine would be a replacement for stock. I would try to be as historical as possible, but at the same time I want to cover a broader area. JustaV has done MARVOLOUS work wich is very in depth and detailed, but the scope of what is covered is somewhat narrow. You will find there is give and take. You can have a very detailed, in depth campaign covering a narrow aspect of the whole war, or you can cover all or most aspects of the entire theater, but you loose a little bit of detail. Both are good, because each has its possotive and negative. I would not say one is better or worse than the other, just different.

I plan for my campaigns to be as in depth as possible, but I want to cover the big picture of the overall war at the same time. It is kindof a juggling act to find the right balance. The whole thing is kind of a grey area. And no matter what I do, there will be those who love my work and others who think it is total crap. It all boils down to opinion. So I guess my goal is to be good enough to at least please everyone. In my campaigns I plan on incorporating level bombing with new bombers, invasions too. I have tried my best to put more inphasis on certain battles (Pearl Harbor, Midway, Coral Sea, Santa Cruz, Philippine Sea, Battle of the Bulge, Battle of Britain ...)

- Scharnhorst1943 - 05.03.2008

Sorry for my leave of absence, but life got in the way. I am back now, and I have some ideas.

I guess it has come to my attention that this guide has not been the greatest help. Therefore I am going to change my tactics. I think I am going to do the following:

1) I will continue to post in here and help answer questions.

2) I am offering one on one assistance via email to anyone who wants it. I will be willing to answer questions that way and even exchange files and load up and look at your campaigns and give you some of my files to look at. If you want this option you can either PM me your email adress or post in here and tell me you are interested.

3) I am asking for suggestions and critisism. If this is not getting through, what can I do to help explain it in a better way? I want anyone with critisism to post here or in a PM (whichever you are more comfortable with)

I would like any feedback and any thoughts that anyone has. And I still plan on doing that European example BTW Big Grin

- Fisneaky - 05.03.2008

Great stuff, ty

- Scharnhorst1943 - 05.03.2008

Actually, after speaking with Fly_Zo, I have decided that instead of our European example, I am going to use one of the new maps that is out and show you guys how to make a campaign on that. Once I have a chance to download and look at the Malta map, we will go through that step by step. I will show pictures of what needs to be made in the FMB in addition to showing how to make all of the files. I am also going to have the files I do make available for download so you can open up the files and look at them as well.

Then after that is done, if it is still needed or wanted, we can do a European example. Big Grin

- Widowmaker - 05.03.2008

Just some extra info for online DCG campaigns..

after extensive testing... over 60 custom online DCG campaigns...
The following pretty much holds true for using them online..
Note.. this is for ONLINE campaigns, not offline.
If you have a regular DSL/Cable connection.

Squadrons :
4-5 per side with 3-4 aircraft per squadron
7-10 ground units per side (4 unit tank column, or a transport column is "1" unit)
5-6 ships per side
The more AI that has to be controlled, the more taxing it is on the server and the net connection.
More than the above and you might see lag/stuttering issues.

.mis template file size of 70kb or under (to many objects will cause lag problems as well)

Try and stick with the smaller maps...
The larger maps, due to object size or some other factor always tend to cause lag/stuttering issues.
If you do want to use a LARGE map, concentrate your campaign to a smaller portion of the map.
If you still get stutters you'll have to compensate by reducing units/squadrons.

The online maps work very well

- Scharnhorst1943 - 11.03.2008

OK, I have a problem ...

I have the Malta map installed. I can load it in FMB and see it and place things on it. When I go to save a mission, I only get a "Properties.ru" file and it is empty. I cannot save a mission with this map :!: I have no idea what the crap is going on. I can save with any other map except this one. Any ideas anyone?

- Widowmaker - 11.03.2008

I had the same problem.

You need 4.09 beta installed I believe.

The map uses statics from 4.09 beta.. and without 4.09 installed, the game wont save.

I did an ENTIRE road route on that map.... 20 segments..
went to save it so I could go harvest the sections and.. bam. No go.
That was a nice surprise.. and a waste of a full hour.

The funny theing is that I DO have the 4.09 beta installed. I did install the map before the beta though ... I guess I need to reinstall the map. I will try that and see if it works.

Widowmaker Wrote:I had the same problem.
I did an ENTIRE road route on that map.... 20 segments..
went to save it so I could go harvest the sections and.. bam. No go.
That was a nice surprise.. and a waste of a full hour.

Good old Murphy's Law ... LOL.

- fly_zo - 21.04.2008

i have shameless request :oops: for you DCG gurus ....

i took a look at grandcampaign.dcg and noticed that there are no entries for half of western campaigns listed in campaigns.dat .... ( for examp. Burma to something or Italy to Norway )

so do anyone have sorted/edited grandcampaign file and is willing to share

DCG3.37

thanks in advance

Z

- fabianfred - 24.04.2008

I don't know how DCG alocates speeds for a/c....but I was thinking out loud today..

viewtopic.php?t=4414

- FiveIron - 04.05.2008

Scharnhorst, thank you for your great explanation of DCG while I don't plan to design a campaign, your guide has given me great insite to how it works.

I am trying to do a co-op campaign with some friends, and I am just wondering what settings you would use? Widowmaker expounded on the CO-OP campaign, but are there any other pointers you guys can throw out?

I have noticed in some campaigns that you often fly the same mission, such as Guadalcanal would I use a custom mission to shake things up a bit?

What would be a good campaign to start with, looking for short flight times and a good variety of action?

FiveIron

- Scharnhorst1943 - 07.05.2008

FiveIron Wrote:Scharnhorst, thank you for your great explanation of DCG while I don't plan to design a campaign, your guide has given me great insite to how it works.

I am trying to do a co-op campaign with some friends, and I am just wondering what settings you would use? Widowmaker expounded on the CO-OP campaign, but are there any other pointers you guys can throw out?

I have noticed in some campaigns that you often fly the same mission, such as Guadalcanal would I use a custom mission to shake things up a bit?

What would be a good campaign to start with, looking for short flight times and a good variety of action?

FiveIron

Sorry I did not reply sooner :oops: .

Check your PM's :wink:

- ex_RAAF_Elecfitter - 15.05.2008

So how do I get DCG to see any of The Slot maps and generate campaigns for them?

- Scharnhorst1943 - 15.05.2008

ex_RAAF_Elecfitter Wrote:So how do I get DCG to see any of The Slot maps and generate campaigns for them?

You need to make all the DCG files for them. You need to make or edit:

- A master Map
- maps.dcg
- offmap.dcg
- A rds file
- A prd file
- A srd file
- allcampaigns.dcg
- grandcampaign.dcg

You can get the map name by saving a mission, then opening the .mis file.

I will also just let you know, there is a newly formed Team DCG. We are planning on making campaigns for the entire game (all three theaters). We are currently working on a DCG campaign for the Slot (We are doing the Pacific first). We plan on doing the entire Pacific war. A couple maps are done, but still need some further attention.

Also for any one else wondering, the Malta maps are going to be released with the European Theater Campaign. That way you get everything at once.