All-Aircraft-Simulations
Lousy Macchi gun sounds with 0.93 - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=267)
+--- Forum: IL-2 4.09m (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=348)
+---- Forum: IL2 MODS Discussion Section 4.09m (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=292)
+---- Thread: Lousy Macchi gun sounds with 0.93 (/showthread.php?tid=51995)

Pages: 1 2

Lousy Macchi gun sounds with 0.93 - Guest - 10.01.2008

0.93 does sound better for the most, and most important it fixed a problem I had with 0.91 (never tried 0.92): guns firing from a far distance away sounded like they were right behind me. Now that problem is gone; I think that 0.93 gun sounds volume should be a bit higher but that's not a big problem.

Besides overall gun sounds that in my opinion should be a little louder, I have a major sound problem with Macchi 202 and 205 guns (I haven't tried the 200 yet): smaller guns sound like a kid riding his bike with an ice-cream stick in his wheel and the and the (slightly) bigger one sounds like... rocks hitting the ground? Both horrible, and both way too low.

Maybe it's actually the same problem and they would sound better if they weren't that low.
My questions are:
What are the filenames for the Macchi guns sounds? I could try to use the files from .91 or .92.
And if it turns out that the sound is exactly the same, what files are the best candidates to replace the horrible sounds?
Before I try anything else, I would try to raise the volume for all guns on all planes a little bit: can that be done? how?

Anyone to submit a couple of mods to fix Macchi guns sounds and overall too-low 0.93 gun sounds?
Where can I find a modding tutorial?

Thanks in advance

- SG2_Wasy - 10.01.2008

It was bad guns and i'ts bad sound for them Smile lol. Samples names likes MG_breda****

- Guest - 10.01.2008

I just found out that most Italian planes now sound that bad. I think I'm gonna rename some other MG samples.
Any suggestions?

And by the way, after a bunch of missions on several different planes of several countries (both Allied and Axis) I've come to the conclusion that guns sounds are definitely too low. Is there any way to fix this?

- GentleKiller - 10.01.2008

i noticed that, just flew mc200 series and further for the first time, the small machine gun sound makes me throw up. i am serious, it is a horrible sound

Fixed. Low guns sounds also [probably] fixed - Guest - 11.01.2008

the [probably] refers to the fact that I havent tried the new [spl] setting yet, I just finished editing the files. Keep reading.

I did it. I backed up Files/Samples/mg_breda12.waw and mg_breda12x.waw (just in case), then I made copies of mgun_sml_02_14.waw mgun_sml_07_14.waw and renamed them to mg_breda12.waw and mg_breda12x.waw respectively. Now Italian guns sound much better.

I [hope I] have fixed the silent-guns problem by changing values of [spl] in .prs files (files/presets folder)
I've set all the bombs to 110 and all the guns to 130. If I don't post another message and tell I changed something, you can assume that it worked well.

I also set the motor-jumo004.prs [spl] value to 130 (was 105) because the new jet sound is definitely not loud enough.
I used 130 because that's the value suggested by a more expert user (and he didn't suggest it for the guns anyway) -
Does anyone know what's the _max_ value for [spl] ?

- SG2_Wasy - 11.01.2008

lucky_luke Wrote:I did it. I backed up Files/Samples/mg_breda12.waw and mg_breda12x.waw (just in case), then I made copies of mgun_sml_02_14.waw mgun_sml_07_14.waw and renamed them to mg_breda12.waw and mg_breda12x.waw respectively. Now Italian guns sound much better.

I'm still looking for a solution for the overall guns volume being to low. One idea could be to raise the values of [spl] in .prs in the presets folder but that would involve manually editing all the .prs for the sun sounds.
I think I will do that after all, if no-one proposes a less PITA solution... but I would _really_ appreciate a quick fix.
You need change volume level in sound editor, like soundforge, steinberg or simple goldwave, becouse change parameters spl and value may create you additional problem......

Fixed! - Guest - 11.01.2008

I'm going to test the spl trick first.
I compared the samples with those of version .91 and ithe volume appeared to be the same, so I guess setting spl a bit higher may work. If it doesn't, I'll set it back as it was and I'll try raising the volume in the files instead (if you don't see a future post where I say that I did that, assume that changing spl did work after all)

EDIT: Totally working. changing spl values doesn't do anything bad (not for me, anyway)

- Guest - 12.01.2008

lucky_luke any news about your fixing gunsound volume?

- Guest - 12.01.2008

how about 9.0 ?

- Guest - 01.02.2008

I tried lots of configuartions but I couldn't find 'teh' solution.

The closest I could get to the way I wanted it is to use 0.93, overwrite the samples with 0.90, and change breda12.wav for a renamed copy of mg-131.wav
0.90 was pretty good but I overwrote 0.93 instead of using 0.90 itself because new versions include new sounds that weren't in 0.90.
This time I haven't modified the [spl] values, except for the Jumo004 jet engine (now 130 instead of 105)
Even using 0.90 sounds where available, gun sounds volume is still too low for my taste, I liked the 0.91 setting but I couldn't find out how to use those sounds witout causing far away guns sounding like they're 50 feet away.

The thing I hate the most with the current setup is that most times I can't hear other planes' guns, I often see that someone is shooting at me from behind from those visible bullet trajectories but I can't hear them shooting, or I hear it very low.

My ideal sound mod would be something with player's gun as loud as they were in 0.91 and gun sounds from outer planes, etc that become louder as the shooter gets closer (I wonder if that's even possible... and if it is, how difficult that would be to implement)

I think I could try and make another 'hybrid' version using some .91 sounds (way louder) but I need some help: I need to know
-what the i and the x at the end of some wav files stand for.
-how to tell wav files that play player's guns sounds from those who play other planes's sounds, and ground-based guns.
- What is the max [spl] value I can use
- why sometimes (actually often) the sample played in a media player sounds completely different from what it sounds like in game. this is expecially true for small machine guns sounding acceptable in a media player but nothing like a gun and more like a children doing fart noises when they are played in game.
- how to fix this problem, if possible

Thanks.

PS: I'm focusing mostly on gun sounds because I think that finding the right volume for them is very important for realism. Engines sound better than the default IL2 sounds and that's good enough for me,

- Fly! - 01.02.2008

try Beta MG_131s, maybe good 4U?

- SG2_Wasy - 01.02.2008

lucky_luke Wrote:-what the i and the x at the end of some wav files stand for.
-how to tell wav files that play player's guns sounds from those who play other planes's sounds, and ground-based guns.
- What is the max [spl] value I can use
- why sometimes (actually often) the sample played in a media player sounds completely different from what it sounds like in game. this is expecially true for small machine guns sounding acceptable in a media player but nothing like a gun and more like a children doing fart noises when they are played in game.
- how to fix this problem, if possible
- i - it's internal, x - eXternal (part original il2 used "i" for defference between internal and external, i use X)
- check presets(some of them not unpacked from il2 sfs)
- don't know
- il2 don't like bass (low frequency)
- don't understand, which problem? If it about windows media player then you need additional sample-booster or use two channel sample(don't recommended) for normal sound in il2. And use normal sound editor - like sound forge or most simple but effective - goldwave for normal editing.

- Guest - 01.02.2008

It's not about windows media player or the player I use on Linux (I only use windows to actually play the game), The problem is that most sounds that sound more than acceptable in a media player sounds nothing like a gun in il2 -that's the problem I would like to fix.

Anyways, I just found out that my problems were caused by bad installation rather than actual flaws in 0.93. I still would like louder guns but with the new wrapper and an a full all-mod reinstall, the volume of guns sounds in 0.93 are not unacceptably low as was before I reinstalled.

I reinstalled all the mods in order to keep each one of them in its own folder inside the MODS folder, and after doing that I tested .93 and it sounded much better than the first time I tried it, including Breda guns sounding like the lousy gins they were but not as bad as they sounded when I started this thread.

So, to anyone who experience the same problems with 0.93, gun sounds not loud enough and Macchi + CR42 guns sounding like constipated farts, the problem is probably in your installation: a complete mods reinstall taking the new wrapper into consideration will probably fix it.

EDIT: I found out that running 0.93 with gun sounds from 0.90 works better
Check out the details, discussion continues here

gun sound Location - Keenefx - 03.09.2011

So I'm trying to turn up the volume and tweak some of the gun sounds, but can't seem to find them.

Ok, so I've had this problem as well, but I am not finding Files/Samples/xx.wav

All I have inside the FILES folder is

(folders)
com
gui
i18n
maps
missions

and then a bunch of randomly named "files" with no associations

Re: gun sound Location - Heinkel-162 - 03.09.2011

Keenefx Wrote:So I'm trying to turn up the volume and tweak some of the gun sounds, but can't seem to find them.

Ok, so I've had this problem as well, but I am not finding Files/Samples/xx.wav

All I have inside the FILES folder is

(folders)
com
gui
i18n
maps
missions

and then a bunch of randomly named "files" with no associations

You need an sfs extractor from the tools section:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2268
Use that program to extract the sounds from the sfs archives.