All-Aircraft-Simulations
The huge border on the inflight map has always bugged me. - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: The huge border on the inflight map has always bugged me. (/showthread.php?tid=53226)

Pages: 1 2

The huge border on the inflight map has always bugged me. - nearmiss - 28.03.2008

Not quite sure where this would be posted best.

I asked for this first about 2001 and we never got it. As time has passed and the resolution of screens has increased it didn't seem to matter to users.

That wide stitched border around the inflight map has always been so darn ugly and in the way.

It would be a real improvement to have a map with a very narrow pixel border, just enough for users to drop and drag it.

I never understood the thinking for that big border on the inflight map.

When I used to fly 800x600 it was really in the way. Now it's not in the way so much, but it's still too big and ugly.

- fabianfred - 28.03.2008

There is a mod which does away with the border entirely...so you get a larger map....

looking for the link now...

cannot find it...so i uploaded the folder here...vp_nomapframe.rar..... it was one of Vp's mods

http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/4397 ... sions.html

just install the folder to your MODS folder :lol:

- fly_zo - 29.03.2008

and if you're interested in something like this :

(The link is inoperative) /dalm_01.jpg

you can get it here :

(The link is inoperative) file=Fly_zo/fly_Z_map_pad.rar

... just put it in mods folder ( gameroot\mods\fly_Z_map_pad)

cheers,
Z

- nearmiss - 29.03.2008

Ha Ha that's great. No, I wasnt' thinking about chicks in the corners.

I was thinking about a narrow pixel border at most just enough to grap to drap and drop.

Of course, as you can tell from my avatar I'm definitely into chicks, especially cute little Waves. LOL

- Boo - 29.03.2008

fly_zo, never change your sig.......

Big Grin

- Guest - 29.03.2008

fly_zo Wrote:and if you're interested in something like this :

(The link is inoperative) /dalm_01.jpg

you can get it here :

(The link is inoperative) file=Fly_zo/fly_Z_map_pad.rar

... just put it in mods folder ( gameroot\mods\fly_Z_map_pad)

cheers,
Z

Fly_zo....How did you get a realistic looking map?

- fly_zo - 29.03.2008

well Boomer, in every map folder there are files : ed_m01.tga and ed_m02.tga ... editable in graph editor, so basically you can have any picture you like for in-flight map

.... this one is srtm generated map for wip Croatia+ project ( working version .... it doesn't look ok zoomed ..)

cheers,
Z

- fabianfred - 29.03.2008

The 2D Map you see in the FMB/briefing screen/mini-map are whatever you use to make ed-01.tga/ed_02.tga/ed_03.tga......
mine is done from the Google Maps (terrain)...but you can use what you like

- Guest - 29.03.2008

Thanks Guys Big Grin

- fly_zo - 29.03.2008

fabianfred Wrote:The 2D Map you see in the FMB/briefing screen/mini-map are whatever you use to make ed-01.tga/ed_02.tga/ed_03.tga......
mine is done from the Google Maps (terrain)...but you can use what you like

he he .... i remember FC has posted some screenies down at CWOS .... inflight map: blond with biiiiig eyes :wink:

cheers,
Z

What time zone are you in Fly_zo..? I just got up... here in thailand :?

- fly_zo - 29.03.2008

GMT+1 ... i think ... its 1 o'clock after midnight here .... soon we'll switch to daylight saving time ( one hour goes down the drain ....)

so.... good morning to you m8 Big Grin

Z

Your sig always reminds me of a Joke we had when I was in the British Army.....

The three different services..army, navy, air force often made jokes to deride the others, and had nick-names for each other....and for some unexplained reason we called the air force guys 'crabs'...

there was a time when you saw bumper stickers saying.."Fly Navy!"....or "Sail Army!' .... or something similar..... :?

so we used to joke...."Fly Navy.....Sail Army.....Walk...Sideways!"

- fly_zo - 29.03.2008

LoL .... good one Big Grin Big Grin

enjoy your Sunday m8 Big Grin

Z

- Trooper117 - 29.03.2008

'Crabs'.. Origin. During the Second World War, anyone from the other services who got close to see aircraft taxying or moving around would see them 'crabbing' from side to side as they moved to take off.
Today we call it 'S'ing, because of the tailwheel and the lack of forward vision!