All-Aircraft-Simulations
Photoshop vs Gimp - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: Photoshop vs Gimp (/showthread.php?tid=53575)

Photoshop vs Gimp - fabianfred - 16.04.2008

I have been using Photoshop 7/8/9 (CS2) at my wife's photo studio for the past six years, learning as we go.

For maps it has a few problems when things are not in colour......I finally yesterday, managed to get ships to run on my Thailand map......whenever in PS I selected RGB 28 as the foreground colour and coloured all the selected sea area with it...then checked with the dropper right after ...it was RGB 33??? :roll: ...couldn't get it to go right at all

went into gimp and chaged it right first time.... :lol:

Gimp only zooms in to 800%, whereas PS goes to 1600%...and selecting areas is much more detailed and easier in PS

I find myself doing some tasks in PS and some in Gimp...and some I move from PS to Gimp to complete them.....

I don't know if PS CS3 is any better.....

- Fisneaky - 16.04.2008

I work mainly in PSP , but was using Photoshop for some alpha stuff. When you do a fill with Photoshop you need to do it several times to reach the selected colour intensity (unlike Gimp or PSP).

Had to switch to Gimp recently as Photoshop is locked down on a problem drive. Only thing I'm really missing is the remove white plug in.

- Skunkmeister - 16.04.2008

Remove white plugin for Gimp? You dont need that as Gimp will make transparent any colour you want.

- Fisneaky - 16.04.2008

Skunkmeister Wrote:Remove white plugin for Gimp? You dont need that as Gimp will make transparent any colour you want.

Thanks for the info, only been using it the last 2 weeks and not done any voids so far.

- Guest - 17.04.2008

Photoshop is deffinatly better than Gimp,PaintShop,PaintNet.

- fabianfred - 17.04.2008

Paint.net is a definate improvement on the basic paint
and PSP has always held second place to PS...but now Gimp is getting very good...and it's FREE

- *NNGC1-Clo_vfa - 17.04.2008

I/JG54_Gringo Wrote:Photoshop is deffinatly better than Gimp,PaintShop,PaintNet.

Hum...

Except GIMP ! :wink:

I don't know another logicial so simple to use... Men who work for Photoshop are thrillers.... How much you bought it ??? :roll:

PS maybe better than gimp...... but $1000 better...???

- Guest - 17.04.2008

The Photoshop prise is 500$,and for me it's normal.This program works great
It works very well with large resolution files.
For example,the Gimp is not able to work properly with my Bulgarian map's map_c,cos it's enormous resolution: X-16512 pxl,Y-11136 pxl,so i work with PhotoShop.
It uses much smaller resurces from my CPU and RAM,than the GIMP.

ps: You mean by PSP, "PaintShop Pro",right?

yes...Paint Shop Pro

yes Gimp does have problems with very large files......I am still very much a beginner with it..

- PeterD - 17.04.2008

Fisneaky Wrote:When you do a fill with Photoshop you need to do it several times to reach the selected colour intensity (unlike Gimp or PSP).

Hmm learn photoshop? if you want a color in a selected area you use Edit -> Fill -> Select whatever option you want (ie: foreground color). cake...