All-Aircraft-Simulations
New Med map.... - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: New Med map.... (/showthread.php?tid=54509)

Pages: 1 2

New Med map.... - Fay King - 30.05.2008

I have noticed that with the new Italy, Africa, Greece mod the author has done an INCREADIBLE job. Not just with the scenery, but with the map itself. The map is HUGE, yet it does not suffer from long load times. The map saves perfectly, no additions to the static.ini.

My questions is......What can we ALL learn from the creation opf this map? The creator obviously has VERY good grasp on how maps are created and the nuances that go along with it. Look at his Sardegna map. Both are inspirational.

I beg the creator of both maps to not only share his or her ability in scenery, but the most important part, share your compatability secrets.

I loaded the new map and saved immediately.............Ive yet to save the Thailand map with the reccomended static.ini entries.

I feel thiss community has much to learn from such a genious......please!!! Enlighten us all!

Justin

Re: New Med map.... - Zorin - 30.05.2008

Fay King Wrote:I have noticed that with the new Italy, Africa, Greece mod the author has done an INCREADIBLE job. Not just with the scenery, but with the map itself. The map is HUGE, yet it does not suffer from long load times. The map saves perfectly, no additions to the static.ini.

My questions is......What can we ALL learn from the creation opf this map? The creator obviously has VERY good grasp on how maps are created and the nuances that go along with it. Look at his Sardegna map. Both are inspirational.

I beg the creator of both maps to not only share his or her ability in scenery, but the most important part, share your compatability secrets.

I loaded the new map and saved immediately.............Ive yet to save the Thailand map with the reccomended static.ini entries.

I feel thiss community has much to learn from such a genious......please!!! Enlighten us all!

Justin

He does not use new objects, which saves him all the static.ini stuff.

- canonuk - 30.05.2008

Yep, it's as simple as that.

People have only had problems with saving the Channel and Thailand maps because there have been additions to the static.ini file. But the fact that most people can now get them to work shows that they aren't fundamental problems - just needs a little familiarity with the files. Smile

- Fay King - 30.05.2008

Zorin...

Then what can we learn from this? I feel the all maps should be created with stock objects. Thius kills the static.ini problem. If map makers want custom buildings and such, they should release them as a seperate install withy the proper models and static.ini entries.

IF the map maker feels they have tp include custome objects, they should also include a seperate download that includes the new objects and the proper map tga files that controll the new objects. Thye should also be dilligent in the creation of of the proper static.ini entries that MUST be made to play the map.

Members,

Please do not take this as a flame or directed toward any one member, I am just trying to think of solutions to the ever present save problem that pluages us. There is a solution...it just takes some time to find it.

Just my thoughts.

Justin

- canonuk - 30.05.2008

I feel that this whole static.ini issue has been over exagerated.

Firstly, my release was a beta. That means it's a test. Of course I apologise that I missed one of the entries out of my list but it wasn't that much effort to fix it. I quickly identified which entry was missing, provided the necessary files and it was sorted. Only a few people are still having issues but I think this is down to confusion over the wide variety of solutions they've been offered.

My final release will clearly state which entries to add, and will include all necessary TGAs and files for new objects.

I wholeheartedly encourage map makers to include new/custom objects - there are numerous objects that a Battle of Britain map needs, and that's why I wanted to include them Smile

Joe

- ijeremiah - 30.05.2008

If we all stuck with default 4.09m there would be no problems but that's not what most of us are here for. This site should be about pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved. It'll be a steep learning curve but the end result's will be well worth the effort. At the end of the day if you want an easy life then don't install MODS especially BETA releases.

Congratulations are due to Cannonuk for trying something new.

- Fay King - 30.05.2008

Joe,

I totally agree. I feel the map mod community is overthinking the problems before us. Looking all these threads, if a user starts from a clean .ini and adds their own entries.....no problems result.

I feel the map makers should be held to a high standard that mkaes them record ALL new objects to be used. Even then, I feel these objects, and the TGA;s that support these objects should be optional....used at the user own risk.

The bottom line is....WONDERFUL maps can be made without the use of new objects, but to release new stuff that goes with said maps is up to the user.

Just more thoughts.

Justin

- canonuk - 30.05.2008

The problem then is that I would need to release two different actors.static files - one that features the new objects and one that doesn't. Extra work for no real reason. If people download a map that comes with new objects but don't want the new objects, then they shouldn't bother with the new map.

Seriously, adding new objects is not a big deal at all...

- Forager - 30.05.2008

I feel that the map makers should make their maps exactly as they wish and be thanked for their efforts.

If I cannot figure out how to make them work, with the extreme amounts of help they have all offered when problems arise then woe is me.

I honestly think some of us here are overbearing and close to downright ungratfull with regard to our demands and criticism of work from others that they GIVE us.

Thanks to any map maker here.

- fly_zo - 30.05.2008

Forager Wrote:I feel that the map makers should make their maps exactly as they wish and be thanked for their efforts.

If I cannot figure out how to make them work, with the extreme amounts of help they have all offered when problems arise then woe is me.

I honestly think some of us here are overbearing and close to downright ungratfull with regard to our demands and criticism of work from others that they GIVE us.

Thanks to any map maker here.

exactly ! Big Grin

regards
Z

- bzc3lk - 31.05.2008

Hi Joe,
I think that you and the other map authors are doing a great job,especially in the area of adding custom textured buildings thus greatly adding to the emersion factor.To be honest it took me about two days to get your BOB 1940 map to work,but it turned out to be a conflicting map file from the pre wrapper days and not any fault of your work.Your map has well and truly been worth the wait , thoroughly enjoying it.
In my humble opinion I think that many people are having install problems because they have "old" conflicting files as a result of many new mods added and may have to initiate a bit of spot cleaning of their IL2 folder as i did.
Thank you for your time and judging by the attention to detail this was certainly a labour of love , again a big thank you.

Kind regards,
Paul Big Grin

- Badjohnny10165 - 31.05.2008

I think the work done by all mapmakers and indeed all other modders is fantastic.
I love seeing new areas of the world appear, and the new aircraft to fly in them.
The only thing I would ask is are there going to be any full sized versions of the maps, even if they have to be smaller sections, on a 1:1 scale.
I understand that to fit a large area the scale has to be changed, but I would like to see the 1:1 versions some day.

Thanks for all the work of those involved with this project, and to all other modders too.

S!

- Redfox59 - 31.05.2008

I thank all of the various comments that I read.
My map was simply built with the basics of 4.08 to make it available for use of 4.08 and 4.09.
I started a conversion using the skin of 4.09 to get a better landscape.
There are no secrets to be discovered, I tried to balance some things to make it playable map.
The forest does not exist and is replaced by green skin (this limits the loading and lag).
In actors.static I put items that are not too concentrated (this limits the loading and lag).
For the landscape I worked very hard to get to skin tones and contrasts useful to the affected areas.
The purpose of not doing 1:1 but reduced scale, was to create wider field of action and more landscapes.
The flight distances are significant and challenging in different conditions.
It 'been a test for a forthcoming project.
Before I see on all the latest news from AAA, working on the map because I could not follow the various Post.

Hello to all

Redfox59

- Bearcat - 04.06.2008

I understand why you didnt go 1:1 but why 1/4... why not say 1/3 scale.. I am just curious because I ahev absolutely no idea how any of this works.

- GerritJ9 - 04.06.2008

Bearcat, there seems to be some sort of size limit (in pixels?) to the maps in the IL2 engine- I think the Slot is almost at the maximum size possible (not 100% sure of this though). If a map like Italy/Greece/North Africa is made full-scale, it probably won't work, hence the scale reduction. At full scale, it covers a much larger area than the Slot.
I think that the Italy/Greece/North Africa map MIGHT have been made to a larger scale, perhaps 1:2, but its current size is chosen by the makers and perhaps it is the maximum size possible if the current territory was to be included. In principle the mapmaking tools can handle larger maps, but what's the point of making a larger map if IL2 can't run it?