All-Aircraft-Simulations
Please help. RE: Stalingrad - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: Please help. RE: Stalingrad (/showthread.php?tid=58283)

Pages: 1 2

Please help. RE: Stalingrad - CUJO_1970 - 20.12.2008

Can some one help?

I want to remove the default buildings and airfields on the fantastic re-textured Stalingrad winter map recently uploaded by vpmedia.

My desire is twofold:

1. Rebuild Stalingrad building by building to a more realistic/historic standard, using some of the great new buildings we now have available. I would actually like to build a "Stalingrad in Ruins" with destroyed buildings in place, debris fields, craters etc.

2. Rebuild the airfields to a more realistic/historic standard. Especially Pitomnik and Gumrak.

For Stalingrad itself, I would like to just get rid of the existing buildings - for the airfields I would love to have them as a simple open field/landing ground just like on the Slovakia winter map.

If someone who knows how to do this can PLEASE help me, I will do all the research and all the building placement/airfield layouts. Then, in addition to the great new textures, we can have much more realistic and immersive environment to enjoy.

Anyone interested?

- rollnloop - 20.12.2008

I can't help on this, but your project is indeed appealing !

If you do all this (that's quite a job !) will you also have a look at the allegedly wrong geography, the too many bridges, and so on ?

1941 stalingrad map here:

http://www.libraries.iub.edu/index.php?pageId=3460

This guy probably has some interesting doc too

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 3&t=136358

This one has big stuff, but wants money

http://members3.boardhost.com/stalingra ... 90224.html

Well, i know it's probably not the answer you expected most, but i just wish you all the best with your project m8 Big Grin

- mandrill7 - 20.12.2008

A complete Stalingrad remake might be a good group project. If you're going to do the buildings, it might be an idea to ask one of the building skinners to specially create The Tractor Factory, Pavlov's House and Barrikady and some of the other landmarks.

A properly done Stalingrad would be a good set up for a series of Stuka missions which require pinpoint accuracy - i.e. you have to take out Russian strongpoints a 100 m or so from your own front lines. So you have to learn all the landmarks, including all the big buildings. Idea

- Guest - 21.12.2008

mandrill7 Wrote:A complete Stalingrad remake might be a good group project. If you're going to do the buildings, it might be an idea to ask one of the building skinners to specially create The Tractor Factory, Pavlov's House and Barrikady and some of the other landmarks.

A properly done Stalingrad would be a good set up for a series of Stuka missions which require pinpoint accuracy - i.e. you have to take out Russian strongpoints a 100 m or so from your own front lines. So you have to learn all the landmarks, including all the big buildings. Idea
Sounds like a job for Stuka Oberst Rudel! Big Grin

- CUJO_1970 - 21.12.2008

@rollnloop: Thanks for those links!

@mandril: Exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about - also the desperate attempt to supply Stalingrad from the air...etc, so many possibilities.

This should give an idea of what I'm after:

[Image: Stalingrad-10.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad-11.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad6.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad7.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad8.jpg]

[Image: Stalingrad9.jpg]

- lowfighter - 21.12.2008

I can help removing stuff, I don't understand though: you want to remove all buildings from the map or only the ones in Stalingrad city? Also you need have industry textures on the spots where you put the factories, have you already done that? The default map has the industrial area wrong and where factories should be we find only grass (most of the factories should be just North of the city, more or less along Volga... And finally, if you do the thing with the winter map it would be easy to convert to summer too...

- CUJO_1970 - 21.12.2008

lowfighter Wrote:I can help removing stuff, I don't understand though: you want to remove all buildings from the map or only the ones in Stalingrad city? Also you need have industry textures on the spots where you put the factories, have you already done that? The default map has the industrial area wrong and where factories should be we find only grass (most of the factories should be just North of the city, more or less along Volga... And finally, if you do the thing with the winter map it would be easy to convert to summer too...

I only want the default industry buildings at Stalingrad removed please. Those screenshots are the new winter default Stalingrad posted by vpmedia. The industry textures are new ones that came with that map, and the default industry buildings do not align properly to them.

Also - would it be too difficult to have the airfields redone so that there is only a blank landing ground? Similar to airfields on Slovakia winter map - that would be perfect. That would make it possible to build more realistic/historic looking airfields on top of them.

Thanks!

All right, I'll remove the industry objects at Stalingrad most probably tomorrow you'll have it. Again industry area is wrongly placed at Stalingrad, you're not gonna change that?
Airfields like those on Slovakia are possible, if you need them urgently then maybe someone else would help?

Here's a superb photo of the industrial area you find more (aerial and maps) on

http://www.stalingrad-info.com/

[Image: Stalingrad281042.jpg]

- Lejo - 21.12.2008

[Image: Stalingrad01.jpg]

1=Grain Elevator, 2=Gumrak, 3=Mamayev Kurgan, 4=Red October Factory, 5=Barricades Factory.

[Image: Stalingrad02.jpg]

Tractor Factory

EDIT: I just found this website with German aerial photography of Stalingrad: Factories, trainstations, airports, bridges etc. A must have!
http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/battle-of-stalingrad/Aerial%20Photos/Stalingrad/index.html

- CUJO_1970 - 21.12.2008

lowfighter Wrote:All right, I'll remove the industry objects at Stalingrad most probably tomorrow you'll have it. Again industry area is wrongly placed at Stalingrad, you're not gonna change that?
Airfields like those on Slovakia are possible, if you need them urgently then maybe someone else would help?

I'm sorry, I don't know how to change the industry area. :oops: I've not learned to work with map tools yet. I just haven't had the wherewithall to dig into that aspect of modding yet :o Would it require a great deal of work to move industry textures to their proper location?

I would of course be willing to start from scratch and learn the map tools etc., but this would of add a considerable amount of time to completing this project. I wanted to see if there is enough interest then a team effort will help to get this done. Maybe we could organise and incorporate "TEAM STALINGRAD"? :lol:

As far as the airfields are concerned, no not urgently needed - but if I could start with a map that had (1)the airfields like Slovakia and (2) the blank industry area properly placed, then I would start placing all of the objects in FMB+.

Thank you for your help...

- CUJO_1970 - 21.12.2008

@Lejo - thanks for those links!

CUJO, texture moving is very very easy and generally all map stuff is not so hard. Your project is VERY dear to me so I'll help you learning map making ...

- CUJO_1970 - 21.12.2008

lowfighter Wrote:CUJO, texture moving is very very easy and generally all map stuff is not so hard. Your project is VERY dear to me so I'll help you learning map making ...

Great news lowfighter - thanks!

So then, I'll start tomorrow, so you'll be able to place the industry textures where they should be...That's again easy stuff, what you attempt to do is much more challenging Big Grin