All-Aircraft-Simulations
Compans' textures on Stalingrad map - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: Compans' textures on Stalingrad map (/showthread.php?tid=58677)

Pages: 1 2

Compans' textures on Stalingrad map - mandrill7 - 11.01.2009

I used a couple of Compan's more barren textures on Vp-Media's Stalingrad rework to try and get an open steppe feel. The results look not bad.

[Image: stal05.jpg]

[Image: stal04.jpg]

[Image: stal03.jpg]

[Image: stal02.jpg]

- mandrill7 - 11.01.2009

[img][Image: stal01.jpg][/img]

- Guest - 12.01.2009

looks good, I would use it.

- LAL_RONE - 12.01.2009

I like it !!!

- Bee - 12.01.2009

Very nice indeed.

- mandrill7 - 12.01.2009

thanks for the encouragement!

I need to figure out how to put in a treeline and how to use autopop to put in some farms. Now that the landscape is more realistic, the map suddenly looks very, very empty.

When I do that stuff, I'll ask AAA to release it.

- chas1963 - 12.01.2009

Really nice...sadly (too me) the basic "stock" Stalingrad map has always been a BIG disappointment. The map doesn't capture any of the rubble and destruction I always imagine one would see (in the city). Also many well known landmarks are missing (tractor factory & flour mill to name a couple).
If you look at aerial reconnaissance photos from the time you will see that the wrong type of buildings are found in the wrong part of the town...ugh. I really hate the "big gray blotch" that represents the city ground texture on the stock maps. Anyway enough venting...I have been dreaming of someone just "re-booting" the whole Stalingrad map and your efforts are much appreciated.

- Dudok22 - 12.01.2009

I love eastern front! great textures! 8)

- lowfighter - 12.01.2009

Looks nice overall! It's not though possible from the screenshots to tell the feeling you have flying over it for 15 minutes. It's different from the crop fields textures which have enough complexity such that you don't detect the copy-paste effect..In the third shot I see for example 3 path which intersect in a pretty particular way, you don't want to see that happening too often, i would try to make them not so obvious or even delete them...

- fruitbat - 12.01.2009

looks really good, infinitly better than the stock textures on stalingrad summer.

fruitbat

- mandrill7 - 12.01.2009

Lowfighter, it was ok flying over the map from end to end at low level. The more "noticeable" tile I put in the "mid land" position. That way, it is broken up by contours. The tile used on the level valley bottoms is less striking. I will fly over at higher levels next, to see if the patterns get annoying.

I need to figure out how to re-colour and alter .tga's. Is that possible on PSP?

1 of the really cool things with the new textures is that it's suddenly very hard to visually locate airfields. I think this adds a nice touch of realism. Airfields were historically not easy to locate.

- mandrill7 - 12.01.2009

Fruitbat,

My treeline for compans_mountain_fields_3.tga isn't showing up. I put the treeline .tga in the same folder and used your default name for it - compans_mountain_fields_3.tree.tga. Can you think what the problem might be?

I set my config.ini to forest - 3.

- VonBarb. - 12.01.2009

I'm no map maker, but I have seen this happen a few times, on the Normandy map for instance. I think the specific auto trees file will not work if the map uses another file to place object in the same area.

If for instance you use Compans' fields around a village, the trees may not appear because the file that places the houses in that village will have precedence over Compans' .tree file. There will be a fringe around the village where the village objects pattern still applies, 'overwriting' the .tree files in that area.

The same problem is also pretty common with river shores.

Gosh, did that even make any sense ? LOL I hope you got my meaning... Maybe someone who knows the correct terminology could explain this better than I did...

Cheers

Nico

- fruitbat - 12.01.2009

PorcoRosso Wrote:I'm no map maker, but I have seen this happen a few times, on the Normandy map for instance. I think the specific auto trees file will not work if the map uses another file to place object in the same area.

If for instance you use Compans' fields around a village, the trees may not appear because the file that places the houses in that village will have precedence over Compans' .tree file. There will be a fringe around the village where the village objects pattern still applies, 'overwriting' the .tree files in that area.

The same problem is also pretty common with river shores.

Gosh, did that even make any sense ? LOL I hope you got my meaning... Maybe someone who knows the correct terminology could explain this better than I did...

Cheers

Nico

As well as this, where 2 textures overlap, it causes errors in the treefiles, with the single tree file being applied to a 'whole' texture i think.

To mandrill7, I know the treefile works, i double checked after uploading one that didn't :oops: you can easily check if its working by editing the load ini of say cannons bob map, to have it as

compans_mountain_fields_3.tga

in all lowland and midland entries.

that pretty much gives you that one texture everywhere, so you should be able to see if its working or not.

Which part of the load.ini did you have the texture?

fruitbat

- mandrill7 - 12.01.2009

Yes, that does make sense. I don't "think" I used that particular .tga next to a village, but it's hard to tell over the entire map. The village tex trees and houses are definitely working.

I DID use the mountain_fields_3.tga file next to a forest. The forest is definitely popping up trees.

Are there any solutions for this problem? It's hard not to use a treeline-spawning .tga next to a village or forest.

Fruitbat, I used the .tga in question as a "midland" .tga on some hills. It's the .tga you see most of in the shots above, with the greener fields.