All-Aircraft-Simulations
Question: converting roads from map_t to ed_map - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: IL2 MAP MODS Download & Discussion (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=269)
+--- Forum: OLD IL2 MAP MODS Discussion & WIP-MAP-MODS (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=307)
+--- Thread: Question: converting roads from map_t to ed_map (/showthread.php?tid=64947)

Question: converting roads from map_t to ed_map - I/JG27_Waggel - 18.09.2009

Has anyone a good methode to convert the road system from map_t to the ed_map? If I have to do this manual this will driving me crazy Confusedhock: :? :roll: :oops:

Big Grin

Re: Question: converting roads from map_t to ed_map - agracier - 18.09.2009

I/JG27_Waggel Wrote:Has anyone a good methode to convert the road system from map_t to the ed_map? If I have to do this manual this will driving me crazy Confusedhock: :? :roll: :oops:

Big Grin

The trick to this kind of meshing of different types of maps is to work in a layered file, a psd for instance, and after the work has been done, to flatten and convert to a tga file in GIMP afterwards.

Make a psd layered file of your ed_m01 maps. Create a layer for the flattened map_t, and then create a new layer for roads.

The flattened map_t should be enlarged to the same size as your ed_m01 file (that should be 200%, but it is safer to use sizes in pixels. For instance if your map_T is 333 pixels by 222 pixels - then enlarge the flattened copy of map_t to 666x444 pixels.)

In the layered ed_m01.psd, place the flattened and enlarged map_T in a new layer and make sure it is aligned pixel perfectly - usually by using the map edges as guides. Make the new map_t layer a bit transparent if necessary.

Create another new layer in the ed_m01.psd map, call it Roads or something and on that layer, you can trace the road system from map_t. Make the roads wider than the 1 pixel width on map_t, otherwise you won't see much in the FMB map.

When you have finished tracing the roads onto the Roads layer in ed_m01.psd, switch off the layer containing the flattened map_t, adjust transparencies to your taste, save the map and then afterwards flatten and convert to a single layer tga, the ed_m01.tga map which will be used in the game. Use GIMP to create the proper type of tga file.

When you work in a layered file, a psd preferably, you can make dozens of layers, use them as guides for tracing, turn them off afterwards, adjust transparencies, place text, flags or whatever and then change it all, rearrange the looks with a minimum of fuss.

I've also found that GIMP is necessary for creating the proper type of tga file for the game, but it's not really a very versatile program. Paint Shop Pro 7 is much handier and easier to use and handles psd files with ease. Of course, any graphics manipulation program you are familiar with wil do the trick.

- I/JG27_Waggel - 18.09.2009

Thank you. It works fine.