All-Aircraft-Simulations
New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: Canvas Knights WW1 Sim (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=265)
+--- Forum: Canvas Knights WW1 Sim Official News (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=326)
+--- Thread: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. (/showthread.php?tid=73349)

Pages: 1 2

New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Deutschmark - 12.04.2011

Here we have the new user operated Allied Mark 5 Tank for Canvas Knights.
Click on the photos to enlarge.

[Image: Mk5a.jpg]
[Image: Mk5b.jpg]
[Image: Mk5c.jpg]
[Image: Mk5d.jpg]
[Image: Mk5e.jpg]
[Image: Mk5f.jpg]
The metal ground monsters have arrived to Canvas Knights.

Deutschmark

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Heinkel-162 - 12.04.2011

Looks great, nothing bad I can see with these, tell me, from memory the Mark 5 owned the AV7 in combat didn't it, and if this is correct, what specific tactics were used by the english to destroy the german tank, I can see that the A7V has bigger guns but it looks as if it is slow and very sluggish, would I be right in suspecting that the Mark 5 could simply out manouver the A7V?

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Planemad - 12.04.2011

Looking GREAT Big Grin

Man, I can't wait to roll arcoss No Mans Land in this Big Grin

Cheers DM

Planemad

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Deutschmark - 12.04.2011

I got to know quite a lot about these tanks there are many tread offs, the AV7 is faster then the Mk5
But the Mk5 could go over things the the AV7 could not, the AV7 had springs in its tracks and that
Allowed it to get a good amen and fire wile moving, the Mk5 did not have springs in its tracks and
Most times had to come to a stop to get a good amen to fire, the AV7 only had the front canon and
Had to face some what forward to fire at its target, the Mk5 had 2 side mounted canons that could
Turn out words so to fire from the sides, and what helped the allies was they had more tanks then
The Germans, so much more that the Germans started to use many Mk5's that they captured.

Deutschmark

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - RAF209_Benge - 12.04.2011

The basic tactic for a tank on tank engagement in WW 1 was encirclement....British tanks always travelled in groups of 3...1 Male and 2 Female...

By March 1918...that became 1 Male Heavy tank and two or 3 Mark A (Whippet) Medium tanks.

The Germans did not use scout tanks...their initial assaults were made by massing 4 or 5 male tanks...similar to that of the French strategy with their assault tanks...This makes sense since the A7 used the same Schneider track system and combat configurement as St. Chamond Assault tank..And bears a resembelance to the Schnieder tank.

One has to remember none of the tanks in WW 1 were designed for Tank on Tank warfare...they were specifically designed as battering rams and path cutters to breach trench lines for the infantry...the purpose of the cannons on the tank was to knock out concrete machine gun emplacements . Medium and Light tanks were meant to cause havoc in the rear, like their 4 wheeled cousins the Armored cars, and ancestors the calvary horse.

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - dogz - 12.04.2011

Some pilots apparently managed to knock out tanks, I think Udet did one, despite them being armoured will it be possible for pilots to do that in CK?

dogz Wrote:Some pilots apparently managed to knock out tanks, I think Udet did one, despite them being armoured will it be possible for pilots to do that in CK?

If you are in a CK plane that is carrying bombs even if they are the small ones
And you get dam lucky and happen to get a hit with one then sure you can.

Deutschmark

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - dogz - 12.04.2011

They had armour piercing rounds back then, I think I recall Udet dived on a tank a few times and managed to take it out that way, guess they didn't have much top armour.

dogz Wrote:They had armour piercing rounds back then, I think I recall Udet dived on a tank a few times and managed to take it out that way, guess they didn't have much top armour.

@ dogz, could you please post a link to this account as I did a look on the net
And cant find anything about Udet taking out a tank with his plane, I only came
up with this, you will need to scroll down to aircraft;
http://www.landships.freeservers.com/al ... _inww1.htm
Landships is the site to find all good info on WW1 tanks I use it much.

Deutschmark

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - dogz - 13.04.2011

I just googled Udet and tank and found it again.....

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/peopl ... kills.html

it's actually page two of the thread that gets really interesting, Udets tank eventually rolled over and he starting shooting at its exposed underbelly, but if you read another thread by Pips; 2 pilots managed to knock out 2 tanks simply by diving right ontop of them and shooting from there.

Ok this is rare but would be awesome to be able to do something like that in any WW1 sim.

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Deutschmark - 13.04.2011

Ok dogz I just read the whole thing, Udets tank kill came after the tank rolled over
And he was able to shoot at the bottom where there was very little armour if any
At all, the other two tank kills came from D7's that had armour piercing rounds
And still had to make a few passes and was not till they came within 200 or so
Meters of the tanks that they did the deed, and from reading all that thread it
Shows how rare this plane to tank kill was, so now if we where to put armour
Piercing rounds into CK do you think it would be as rare for a plane in game
To kill a tank like it was in real life, everyone would be using armour piercing
Rounds and tanks in CK would be running scared, so seeing how it was a rare
Thing in WW1 we will make it a rear thing in CK as well and by using bombs
Even the small ones and with some luck you may get a hit and take out a tank.

But Thank you, as it was a intrusting read of a rare thing that happen in WW1.

Deutschmark

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - dogz - 13.04.2011

Would of been great fun, incidently in ROF german scouts can't carry bombs, whereas allied ones can... I think this is historically accurate, but will CK be the same?

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Deutschmark - 13.04.2011

The scout planes that are known to have carryed small bombs will in CK.

Deutschmark

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - Burning Beard - 13.04.2011

The 6th Cav had a Mk5 sitting in front of the unit when they were assigned to Ft. Meade. I took the time to wander around it and look it over when I was assigned there. The thing which stands out most (literally) are the rivets, they were later found to be a real detriment to crews, because if you hit a rivet, it would turn into a projectile and bounce around the inside of the tank. If I remember correctly they had a pretty large crew (5?) and they really weren't that large when you consider how much space the engine and munitions would take up.

The 6th also had a Renault tank from WWI, and that thing is tiny, I think they had more people in it than would fit :mrgreen:

Beard

Re: New CK WW1 Allied Mark 5 Tank. - RAF209_Benge - 13.04.2011

In the FT..the commander/gunner practically sat on top of the driver.