All-Aircraft-Simulations
Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - Printable Version

+- All-Aircraft-Simulations (https://allaircraftsimulations.com)
+-- Forum: Announcements & General Discussions & Hyper Lobby (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=264)
+--- Forum: General Discussions. (https://allaircraftsimulations.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=298)
+--- Thread: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming (/showthread.php?tid=74828)

Pages: 1 2

Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - Fireskull - 03.05.2012

Hi,

Which technology wins for strictly gaming and flight simulation purposes? Alternatively, if you had to choose, which one would give you the best value?

If you feel one way or the other, then please try to convince people. Tongue

Fireskull Big Grin

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - LeBigTed - 04.05.2012

Hi Fireskull ! (Happy B-Day;o)

An interesting question :

As far as I am concerned, I would choose PC for flight simulations ;o)

Even if with a console you don't have to upgrade it to play new games and you will surely have beautiful graphics, for simulations I prefer to use a computer:

- First because the good airwar simulations games are on computer,
- Secondly, on consoles you have mainly arcade simulations which i don't like,
- Third, you can manage a lot of things with your keyboard,
- You can use your computer for other things than gaming,
- And last, the price of a computer game is less expensive.

Ted ;o)

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - Jambo - 04.05.2012

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y Fireskull!! Big Grin
All the Best!!!

I do prefer a PC.
With a Joystick, a mouse and/or a keyboard I feel much more comfortable and precise than with a controller.
Hem, I don't have any console at all... :oops: :mrgreen:
Last but not least - I like to know what data is on my pc and what kind of data will be send and received from/to my pc.

Jambo :wink:

Have a very nice Birthday Fireskull and a big party as well! :Smile) Big Grin

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - tomoose - 04.05.2012

No contest, a PC anyday.
Consoles are a one-shot deal whereas PCs can do so much more. Consoles are clearly aimed at the younger set and there aren't many in-depth games but predominantly shoot-em-ups and the horrendous side-scrolling punch-up games (ackpth!!!). LOL.

PCs and graphics can be upgraded without much effort (usually) whereas Consoles are "what you get" etc. Consoles and their controllers are nowhere near as smooth as a mouse or a joystick. There is no real sense of immersion in consoles (and I don't think console programmers have any intent to do that).

Mods for games are more readily available for PC and have dedicated groups of people for that (e.g. IL2 1946, SH3 and 4, and so on). You can get more "thinking" games for PC than console.

Personally, I loathe consoles as I see them as the 21st century arcades for the junior set but that's my own opinion. To each his/her own.

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - Serpiko - 04.05.2012

It's pretty plain that most of the people HERE (including me), being IL-2 players, will vote for the PC. 8) I more or less agree with what others said above

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - stuka_40 - 05.05.2012

Hi!
A PC, because a game console is a kind limited and simplified PC, you can do a lot of things with a PC that you can not do with a game console.
A PC can emulate (simulate) a game console but vice versa is not possible, so inside a PC you have a game console too and much more,
you can technically change inside a PC and upgrade it if needed but this is not possible with a gaming console as I know, and most
important you can MODIFY (by modifying the game you can customize it as you wish like il2 sturmovik 1946) the most PC games but not game console games.

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - madcat - 13.05.2012

PC all the way but here's my view on Pros & Cons of PC Vs Consoles...

Pros of consoles
Cons of consoles
Pros of PC
  1. SIM games Big Grin (inb4 you play with dolls. NO "SIM" short for simulations games, not SIMs the game)
  2. very flexible in upgrades
  3. superior controls
  4. games are WAY cheaper
  5. constantly growing technology
  6. a decent PC would out last a console
  7. can mod games

Cons of PC
I think PC's will be around for a wile yet but the thing is how much longer will Consoles be around for. These is alot of talk that because the rising development cost, problems with the consoles (harware, software and especially recently how data is protected) and the rise in popularity of tablet devices, that tablets are the way to go for consoles makes and I think there's some truth in that. But I think we will see eighth generation consoles before any move to any kind of tablet devices.

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - RAF209_Benge - 16.05.2012

Hmmmmmmmm tough to say on which will out last the other

Having been around long enough to actually played Pong, owned an Atari 2600, an oringinal NES, and a Coleco system...Consoles were actually on their death bed in the mid 1980's with the explosion of the PC, via Apple, Texas Instruments, IBM, and Commodore.

But thanks to the Japanese ala Nintendo and Sony (SEGA) the consoles came back from the dust heap of technology...I am sure that the PC will be on top again for a while with gamers.

Also during the mid 80s it was the software people like Activision that kept some of the older systems going until something came long to replace them...

That is where the market needs flexibility...currently there are no crossover technologies...In the old days of 8 bit games...Commodore, Atari, and Coleco made there games adaptable to other systems...in other words you were able to play Atari Games on Coleco systems if you had an adapter...Atari 2600 games also worked in the 5200 with the adapter as well

Nintendo did that with their first two systems but stopped it.

THe question of economics that comes with the console why pay 50 bucks for a game that you will not be able to play on an updated version of the console you are using in a couple of years or so?

The PC has the option of gutting it, putting in an OS and adapting it to run the older game with in reason...

I will say overall cyclic nature of the gaming community that both will continue on growing and falling popularity, until they both become too specialized and rigid and end up on the dust bin of tech history, when replaced by some thign like Holo technology, or maybe people realize that are more life like ways to do shooter games, like participate in Historical Reenacting, at least in that hobby you usuallly have to put down a good deal of money in the beginning and except of travel...you never have to have a serious upgrade. Also you get the added advantage of meeting real people face to face.

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - Fireskull - 16.05.2012

Smile

That's interesting stuff.

For about the cost of the console - maybe a little more - I can buy a nice laptop. Screensize is not an issue because the laptop is close to my eyes, so there is wide viewing angle with the laptop. If I want, then I can plug the laptop into the television for gaming. Also, there are many free or cheap games for the computer.

I believe that when one considers both the 2D and the 3D games, including retro ones, the personal computer has far more games available to be played on it than any console. Does anyone else disagree? Please feel free. Smile

How do you guys feel about STEAM possibilities for consoles in the future? There are other online only gaming platforms, too. Will these influence any decisions to by consoles over computers for some people?

Smile

Clinton

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - RadPig94 - 16.05.2012

Fireskull Wrote:Smile

That's interesting stuff.

For about the cost of the console - maybe a little more - I can buy a nice laptop. Does anyone else disagree? Please feel free. Smile
Depends, will it play modern games at high settings?

Laptops are good for emulators, I do agree about library size. I have easily over 1000 games ranging from Atari to the PS1, all are free

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - RHYS4190 - 05.09.2012

When micro soft start supporting mouse and keybourds i guess.

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - Fireskull - 05.09.2012

Well, there are some pretty big name games available for PC and many guys prefer to plug their control gear into the computer, even a laptop, instead of using the keyboard.

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - madcat - 06.09.2012

Fireskull Wrote:Well, there are some pretty big name games available for PC and many guys prefer to plug their control gear into the computer, even a laptop, instead of using the keyboard.

You saying about that did you see Valve is looking for hardware engineers because they are to quote "frustrated by the lack of innovation in computer hardware and wanted to change that state of affairs." At the moment there just hinting at doing some thing with basic input devices like the keyboard and mouse because they haven't really changed over the years, but they do have an patent for some sort of controller with swappable parts and the rumor is that they are working on a console that would like put Steam in a box.

BBC News; Game maker Valve Software recruits hardware experts

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - Fireskull - 07.09.2012

Sometime in the last couple years I have tried both Valve and Steam. There are things which I liked about both of them and others not so much, but always thought Valve has a brighter future. I wonder if anyone else has the same impression. Valve wanting to be innovative fits my experience with their stuff, especially the user friendly aspects.

I prefer the keyboard for some things, by the way, so I'm not knocking it. Sometimes mixing keyboard and other controllers is cool to me, too. I really prefer to use both hands for flexibility, instead of having to take my eyes off the screen to search for a button.

Fireskull

Re: Personal Computers vs Consoles for Gaming - cammoammo - 25.02.2013

Id say PC, and I do have a PS3 but i spend about 10-1,000 times more time on this baby than my PS3 (which was free with a laptop purchase {total luck}). My PC isn't even that up-to-date either. Big Grin

Camm