[DOWNLOAD] Polikarpov I-153 Cockpit Repaint

Looks awesome, you've just inspired me to jump in this little beast!

Excellent work! Thank you :!: :!: :!: :!:

Thanks Bee

I have hoped for this . . .

Great work!

Greetings Karstele

Masterpiece, I am enjoining it very much. Thank Feathered, I mean Bee Big Grin

Thanks Bee it was worth the wait. You got skill in spades.

JAMF Wrote:Quality job, Bee. I see plenty of new and improved 3D bits too. Not just a reskin. 8)

Actually, there are no new or improved 3D bits in it at all.

All I did was paint on extra details in such a way as they fool the eye into thinking you are looking at 3D parts. The four little domes on the instrument panel for example are just painted on. So are the recesses for the instruments. The whole thing is as flat as you like. Tongue

As a hint for other cockpit skinners, setting the light levels in the mat file as below will give the best results, without those weird whiteout effects when the sun shines on them:

[LightParams]
Ambient 0.8
Diffuse 0.7
Specular 0
SpecularPow 20
Shine 0.0

Also, if you set tfBlend to "1" in the appropriate mat file, it will render a 3D object as invisible, with a texture applied on top. Not as a white object with a texture applied, as it appears by default. This is very handy, as it lets you use tricks to change the apparent shape of objects by making the texture smaller than the object it covers.

Take a close look at the red and black knobs in the I-153. They are still the ugly default hexagon shapes, but I made the mesh invisible using tfBlend 1 then centred a nice round (and slightly smaller) circle over the top so they appear as a round, shaded component. :wink:

Clever as you like!

Bee Wrote:
JAMF Wrote:Quality job, Bee. I see plenty of new and improved 3D bits too. Not just a reskin. 8)

Cool! The screenshots do give the impression you've added a new knob on the magneto and on the top right, is that the engine primer or... ? The foot-rests and below the flare gun, are those 2D textures too?

Bee Wrote:As a hint for other cockpit skinners ...
You really cool! 8)

There are only two types of aircraft - fighters and targets 8)

[Image: deSAD.jpg]

JAMF Wrote:
Bee Wrote:

Cool! The screenshots do give the impression you've added a new knob on the magneto and on the top right, is that the engine primer or... ? The foot-rests and below the flare gun, are those 2D textures too?

Yep, all those things are just painted onto a flat surface with fake shading and highlights to make them look like 3D. The primer is a flat texture I pinched from the I-185. I warped it a bit in photoshop until it fitted the perspective on the Chaika's instrument panel, then touched it up. The same thing was done with the magneto switch. It came from a screen capture of a YouTube vid. And absolutely nothing on the floor is really 3D. I guess I really am a "cheater". :roll:

Bee Wrote:
JAMF Wrote:
Bee Wrote:
I guess I really am a "cheater". :roll:
Go to Hollywood. They make millions over there that way. Big Grin You're an artist.

Fantastic! I was never keen on flying these russian birds but these new cockpits are giving me renewd interest! god I love this site !!

thank you very much
looks soooo good!!!

Hi' Guy's !
I installed the nice cockpit repaint o.k.
Now it looks like i'm sitting too high :?: :?:
Happy Landings
ColaBen