Thread Closed

Map Modifying Discussion - History (Read Only)

lowfighter Wrote:I think as this is all very experimental we can wait about uploading it, all this is amateur work, needs gaining experience.

About terrain changing maybe even creating new maps I think it's possible, though there might be hard work involved. I experimented on poor Kuban map with map_h.tga (height). Copied a square of highland and pasted somewhere else, it worked BUT at the edges of the square as there are big jumps in height, the terrain looks weird.

screenshots or ntrack, please? Smile

even somethign basic like this is suitable (for me)....will also give me an idea how it can be used on maps, before fuller mroe refined methods possibly become known

cool! tx!

I'll post some screenshots later, after I really awake lol. However there's a big prob to be solved yet. Namely modifying map-h and map_T doesn't allow changing water regions into land regions or the other way around. Think, if we find out how to do that, only then we're able to come with really different maps, say take a big existing sea map and pasting islands here and there, make a solomon islands chain for example!
Smothening terrain, thet might be done working with map -h, picking one grey colour at the bottom of the patch to be leveled and pasting itaround, this is blind work to some extent, so it would need a lot of in and out of FMB.

Here's one screenshot, I copied a patch of highland and pasted it over more or less level ground, you see there are jumps in height at the border of the highland patch.

[Image: mount.jpg]

Aha,

so basically the height of land is defined by a displacement map ie Black=low ground and anything higher is defined with shades of grey?

This is quite a discovery... Adding land (say to the Coral Sea map) would be a logical next step.

I was trawling through the files and from what I saw rather than the maps being made from a standard mesh type object the maps' height/material may be defined by these displacement maps/images. I would guess that roads/train tracks & water is defined the same way.

Good stuff Smile

Cheers, Neil Smile

@ Lowfighter:

Hi, mate is it possible that with copy patch you get different shade of gray on the edges ... if you enlarge pic there mustn't be any color change. When i try to place forest this way ... i get city ground text on the edge of edited forests.

I mean edges are usually lighter shade ( when copy - past patches) so you get crater effect.

keep it up

Z

excited about all developemnts here lately, but this one especially!

terraforming maps and hopefully movement/creation of default airbases and water bases (and even mix n match default airbase components?) will make a LOT of dreams come true

as has been mentioned, the solomons.....ahem....the channel coasts Big Grin....ANYWHERE in the world at any battelfield

and for non historical co-ops, DFs, and air racers, the sly really is the limit!

phew!...i need a cigarette now Wink

Daiichidoku Wrote:excited about all developemnts here lately, but this one especially!

terraforming maps and hopefully movement/creation of default airbases and water bases (and even mix n match default airbase components?) will make a LOT of dreams come true

as has been mentioned, the solomons.....ahem....the channel coasts Big Grin....ANYWHERE in the world at any battelfield

and for non historical co-ops, DFs, and air racers, the sly really is the limit!

phew!...i need a cigarette now Wink

and big hot cup of coffee Big Grin

ups i just realized meaning of cigarette ....

please ignore above

Lowfighter, you and all the mod makers are bringing the christmas presents sooner than I thought!!... as an campaign builder I 'm always keen on detailing and using detailed maps , with youre findings this wil increase the gameplay to another level, so plz if you have new maps offer them to the admins MrJolly or Lt Wolf for download A.S.A.P, I know I.m sounding like a spoiled kid but like Fly_zo I'm asking you ; ... is it also possible to make a real looking English 'chalk coast' ?!!!....

miker8 Wrote:Lowfighter, you and all the mod makers are bringing the christmas presents sooner than I thought!!... as an campaign builder I 'm always keen on detailing and using detailed maps , with youre findings this wil increase the gameplay to another level, so plz if you have new maps offer them to the admins MrJolly or Lt Wolf for download A.S.A.P, I know I.m sounding like a spoiled kid but like Fly_zo I'm asking you ; ... is it also possible to make a real looking English 'chalk coast' ?!!!....

I'm afraid cliffs are no no ( land near water can't be elevated) but if Lowfighter ( and i'm sure he will) find the way to elevate land as near as possible there are some textures that IMHO can represent English coast. So to the some degree yes it is possible.

stay well
Z

I've been recently building an RAF beaufighter campaign using the Kurland map as a stand in for the Dutch coast. All air starts I'm afraid as is usual with mid war RAF missions. But if only we could add a coast on the top left corner of the map to represent the UK. Wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just some green and pleasant land with a couple of airfields.

Enemy coast ahead!

Hi Zo,
I don't understand what you mean, please explain again!
About this different grey shades, sometimes the difference is hardly perceptible with the eye, to see them better I play a bit with contrast and brightness...

fly_zo Wrote:@ Lowfighter:

Hi, mate is it possible that with copy patch you get different shade of gray on the edges ... if you enlarge pic there mustn't be any color change. When i try to place forest this way ... i get city ground text on the edge of edited forests.

I mean edges are usually lighter shade ( when copy - past patches) so you get crater effect.

keep it up

Z

lowfighter Wrote:Hi Zo,
I don't understand what you mean, please explain again!
About this different grey shades, sometimes the difference is hardly perceptible with the eye, to see them better I play a bit with contrast and brightness...

fly_zo Wrote:@ Lowfighter:

keep it up

Z

Ok, when you copy/paste or use clone tool the edges aren't the same shade of gray as the rest of applied patch , and every shade of gray means different elevation. you can clearly see that when zooming . So i assume that is the reason for crater effect .

here is pic:
[Image: primjer.jpg]

It is the same in forest case darker shade means that there suppose to be town so i get town texture under my "new" forest on the edges .

hope this explain it better

Z

Hm, I think i understand better what you mean.
In connection with this, I'm working with gimp and I have an option to pick a colour from the image. Click on a spot and get that colour. Then I can paint with that colour. So if I want to paint some forest I click in the middle of some forest patch, get the colour and paint some more forest if I wish. But there's something else, when I click to pick some colour, gimp gives me the values for R, G and B intensities. So I get something like
R=9%
G=9%
B=9%
and I always get this 9 when I pick it from a forest region. I always get 0% when I pick it from a region corresponding to :
LowLand0 =something in the load.ini
So each colour corresponds to a certain type.
Hazy here a bit lol.

Talking about forest, could you open the map_T for guadalcanal? Gimp doesn't open it properly so I'm stuck in my project of bringing the forest there up to the shore.

Yup, i can open guadal no prob. What do you need? And it's a tricky one cos one map covers early and late scenery with different airfields. If you want from me to place forest for you no prob, just send me ed_m01/02 with marked areas where you want new forest.

Regarding pickin up the color i'm using it but in 100% Zoom everything look peachy while in 300% Zoom , well you saw the pic.

Z

Hey thanks M8!
I'll send those maps tomorrow Big Grin
Thread Closed