[MAPS] TUTORIALS

Neil Lowe Wrote:
ClockWatcher Wrote:Neil,

Link is still active, just checked it. There has just been an update posted so this may have been the reason you did not manage to download the file.

CW

Hiya CW,

Just tried again (both Firefox and IE) but no joy, page doesn't load.

Will try again later,

Cheers, Neil Smile

I had a problem with DNS, accessed via direct IP address 131.122.220.30

http://131.122.220.30/Users/oceano/pgut ... emdown.htm

http://131.122.220.30/Users/oceano/pgut ... _setup.exe

http://131.122.220.30/Users/oceano/pgut ... crodem.exe

Hope this helps
Maraz

Perfect, Thanx Smile

Cheers, Neil Smile

Wow, what a difference Big Grin

Using the data from the DEM and then following clockwatchers tutorial on creating a Map_h.tga from it has totally transformed my map.

Thanx heaps for the info,

Cheers, Neil Smile

Glad they are of use Neil.

Looking at putting together another tutorial from all that I am learning whislt working on the BoB map.

CW

What format should I save my srtm data in when I download it? I couldn't get MicroDEM to load it.

canonuk Wrote:What format should I save my srtm data in when I download it? I couldn't get MicroDEM to load it.

SRTM data come in a Zip file that contains a TIFF file. You have to extract the TIFF file, that can be read by MicroDEM (select GeoTIFF format)

Maraz

Canon,

MicroDEM will load SRTM data directly, it should have the ".hgt" after the file name. Use the "Open DEM" icon (2nd icon) and point it to the file. It can automatically extract the file from an archive, normally zip, as well! All files downloaded from the links I have provided in the turorials work.

When saving use "File/Save DEM/MD DEM".

CW

Small tutorial how to make transparency in Photoshop. You can also save jpegs on your computer, its all on the pictures.

viewtopic.php?t=2548&highlight=

Where are you getting your SRTM data from Canon? I get mine from here:

http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Avala Wrote:Small tutorial how to make transparency in Photoshop. You can also save jpegs on your computer, its all on the pictures.

viewtopic.php?t=2548&highlight=

many thanks, Avala Big Grin ..... i'm sure lots of guys will find it useful Big Grin

Z

How to create and use actors templates

1. After you have imported your new map in game and finished work on height and textures it is a time to populate your map. To speed up your work you can use buildings templates.

2. For making and pasting templates you need to create two new folders in your Mods/Maps folder. That is same folder when you have your basic map. I will work on map FatCat and I will use folders empty1a and Template as my templates folders.

3. When creating templates you have to use one empty map, Online9a is good choice because map is small and flat so it loads fast. That's why I'm going to use folder empty1a, that folder is file folder for Online9a map. In that folder I'll put empty actors.static file and load.ini file.

Putting new load.ini is optional, that depends on textures you want to use as base for templates. Map Online9a and folder empty1a are my template making map and folder.

4. Next step is to create "Template Vault", You do that by creating new folder in same folder where your basic map and empty1a are. I'll make folder Template. Only thing that will be in that folder is actors.static and you will put it there when you decide to paste template.

5. In your root Il2 folder you have to make folder Maps (If you don't have it already)and in that folder create sub folders (In my case): FatCat,empty1a and Template. As I plan to make 3 templates I'll create there folders City1,City2 and TrainStation. You can use different folders or you can rename your actors files to keep track on them easier.

When you are saving your work in enhanced FMB that's where files are saved. You are ready now to create and use templates.

6. Making template:
Go to enhanced FMB and open Online9a map, as you are using empty actors file there will be no objects on map.
[Image: th_86108_00_122_639lo.jpg]
Now I'm going to put City texture somewhere on the map to have base for my buildings.
[Image: th_86115_01_122_568lo.jpg]
When this is finished I'll create my first City template, that's simple, just put desired objects on map.
[Image: th_86379_02_122_946lo.jpg]
when you are satisfied with your template save your work
[Image: th_86382_03_122_1064lo.jpg]
Your work will be saved in Il2/Maps/empty1a folder as actors.static.

7. Now comes important part. You have to copy that actors.static into Il2/Maps/City1 or any folder you want. You can even leave it in empty1a folder but you will have to rename it because new template will overwrite old actors file.

8. Create now your other templates and repeat procedures.
[Image: th_86529_04_122_372lo.jpg] [Image: th_86536_05_122_927lo.jpg]

Pasting templates

1. Decide which template you will paste now and put that template in your mods Template folder, you can put same actors file in il2/maps/template folder but you can use any actors,even empty one there. Only important thing is that you have file actors.static there and that you can choose it for paste from.

2. Load your map, in my case map is FatCat

3. Zoom into place where you want to put template.

4. Click on right mouse button and use paste from file option
[Image: th_86660_06_122_412lo.jpg]
5. Drag and rotate template to suit your needs.
[Image: th_86666_07_122_256lo.jpg]
6. When you have completed work with first template than replace actors file in your mods template folder with desired actors.static and use paste from file again.
[Image: th_86759_09_122_234lo.jpg]

It may sound complicated but it's easy once you do it for a first time.

FC

VERY helpful!

Thanks so much, you've made my life very much easier.

Great stuff FC -- and very timely.

I have had a few PMs asking about sourcing and piecing together SRTM data. Most of it is already in the tutorials, but I'll expand on it a little.

SRTM, Shuttle Radar Terrain Mapping was a mission carried out by NASA to radar map the world, but it only covered the areas shown below due to the constraints of the mission plan. The area covered is shown below.

[img]ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version2/Documentation/Continent_def.gif[/img]

Look at the area of interest you wish to map, check it is covered by the SRTM mission and note the co-ordinates the map will cover. I.e, the Falklands covers (approximately) an area of -57W to -62W and -52S to -53S.

Also note the colour of the land, it relates to the folder it is in on the NASA Server, in this case the Falklands is in the South America folder.

So navigate to

ftp://e0srp01u.ecs.nasa.gov/srtm/version...h_America/

and download the files:

S52W058.hgt.zip
S52W059.hgt.zip
S52W060.hgt.zip
S52W061.hgt.zip
S52W062.hgt.zip
S53W059.hgt.zip
S53W060.hgt.zip
S53W061.hgt.zip
S53W062.hgt.zip

Start up MicroDEM and use as described in previous tutorials. If the area you download is sea/ocean or missing data, MicroDEM will automatically fill it with the default colour red to denote missing data. Remember, there was no need to map data from open sea during the mission, all heights on open water are by default “0” meters/feet. MicroDEM will always place land in the correct place and insert the sea and ocean where needed automatically.

Happy mapping

CW

The website I've been using for SRTM data is
http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp

On that page you should see a grid map of the world. All you have to do is select the server (its CGIAR-CSI (USA) by default), then select the area on the map you wish to have, and click "search".

After you've clicked search, you have a choice between downloading from an FTP server or an HTTP server. Just pick whatever one you want. Also, you have the choice of downloading the "Data Mask". This is an overlay that complements the raw data and fills any holes it may contain.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC