[MAPS] TUTORIALS

Skunkmeister,

That is too easy, far too easy Wink

CW

One question. I got the Falklands islands correctly displayed, but what If I want to add part of the continent? Can I create on MicroDem the part I want and then mix with the islands on a paint program?

RealDarko

Load all the files for the continent and the Falklands into MicroDEM, it will automatically put everything in the right place. The post "Making large maps using SRTM data and MicroDEM" explains how to do it. No need to use a paint program unless you want to "cut out" the sea between the land masses.

There are other tools that can use SRTM data to make your maps, but I am not up tp speed wioth those.

CW

I need to say a big THANK'S to you and Fly_Zo for all the help and advices given. Now I have the map, but I need two things, cut the sea so the islands and the continent are closer and to scale the map. How I need to do it? And for insert the map on Il2?

[quote="RealDarko"]I need to say a big THANK'S to you and Fly_Zo for all the help and advices given. Now I have the map, but I need two things, cut the sea so the islands and the continent are closer and to scale the map. How I need to do it? And for insert the map on Il2?[/quote]

you have missed this m8, all about resizing .....

[quote="ClockWatcher"]
Remember that for map_h and map_T we set the map size to 1 pixel = 200m because this is what IL2 uses. But for map_C, IL2 uses 1 pixel = 50m. It also uses RGB = 0 for water, RGB = 255 is land and the greyscales in between are shallow water/smooth shorelines.

Method 1, set the mapsize in MicroDEM to 1 pixel = 50m, but you wil have to Blur the edges in Gimp or a similar picture manipulation program to get nice water edges.

Method 2, set MicroDEM to 1 pixel = 200m and scale the image up in you picture program. In Gimp this will automatically give a greyscale/antialaised edge to the map_C.

Lets start at sizing the image:

Go to menu:

"Modify"
"Map Area"
"Set Map pixel size"
since we are making a map_C, change the value to "200.0" or

Roger I have the map in BMP with the 200m per pixel, and I want for example to resize to 1:2, can I edit the BMP to half the size and put the islands close to the continent using the Paint Shop Pro?

RealDarko,

Paint Shop Pro is good, but I have had problems with the way it handles greyscale images and corrupts maps. Personally I use GIMP, its free, powerful and works. There are other paint packages as well which the rest of the Forum can advise you on. Resizing is no problem, but the key is to ensure that whatever map size you use, map_C pixel size MUST be divisible by 32 with no remainder and all other maps based on this as a scale, i.e map_h and T and F will be 1/4 of this in size.

If you get Map_C wrong everything else will not work.

Happy Mapping

CW

The idea is how can I convert my SRTM map into map_c? I believe is the key I need to continue with the development

RealDarko,

It is on page 2 of this thread :Using MicroDEM to make map_C files.

CW

I have a question (or rather two) concerning making map_h, map_t and map_c. These, I presume, all have to be exactly the same size, yet it seems to me that they are created separately from the .DEM file and are individually cropped to the required size. Is it possible to crop the .DEM file first and use the cropped result to make the three maps, thus ensuring they all cover exactly the same area?
Second, when setting the correction curves etc. as described by Clockwatcher the sea turns red and stays red after "interpolate across holes (smooth)"- the map in question has a large area of water. Is this correct? Furthermore, won't this delete lakes?

GerritJ9 Wrote:I have a question (or rather two) concerning making map_h, map_t and map_c. These, I presume, all have to be exactly the same size, yet it seems to me that they are created separately from the .DEM file and are individually cropped to the required size. Is it possible to crop the .DEM file first and use the cropped result to make the three maps, thus ensuring they all cover exactly the same area?
Second, when setting the correction curves etc. as described by Clockwatcher the sea turns red and stays red after "interpolate across holes (smooth)"- the map in question has a large area of water. Is this correct? Furthermore, won't this delete lakes?

ok, first map_c.tga must be 4 time larger than maph/t ( mapC, 1pix=50m and maph/t, 1pix=200m)

put all three maps as layers in same picture ... crop .... after enlarge mapc (x4) ... that way you'll get exact dimensions

hope that helps,

Z

fly_zo, thanks for the answer to the first question.
Regarding the second question, since the only red to show up in map_h is the sea, I suppose it will be OK to skip this procedure as there doesn't seem to be any missing data.

GerritJ9 Wrote:fly_zo, thanks for the answer to the first question.
Regarding the second question, since the only red to show up in map_h is the sea, I suppose it will be OK to skip this procedure as there doesn't seem to be any missing data.

under edit dem holes i selected : missing data to sea level ( when only sea was red)

sorry i missed that one :oops:

Z

OK, I've got map_h and map_c according to instructions on page 2, but having some probs with map_t. I'm probably following the wrong path somewhere, but I'm not able to load the terrain texture file anywhere. Which path to follow? Ive tried everything following "Modify" so I assume this is incorrect.

GerritJ9 Wrote:OK, I've got map_h and map_c according to instructions on page 2, but having some probs with map_t. I'm probably following the wrong path somewhere, but I'm not able to load the terrain texture file anywhere. Which path to follow? Ive tried everything following "Modify" so I assume this is incorrect.

Hi m8, map_t can only be drawn with hard-edged pencil (or 0px feather, no anti alias fill) tools. As the map is used for textures placement, each hard-edged pixel is practically a grid - atleast that's what it seems to me.

Btw, I don't know if the Photoshop CS3 already fixed the RGB to greyscale conversion in 256 steps, but if it still can't, use GIMP to convert the RGB .tga files to greyscale.