P-47 Thunderbolt cockpit modding references and discussion

The gun sight on the P-47 is mounted on the end of big metal arm that comes from behind the instrument panel. The green plate looks to be the end of that arm and it looks like the sight is sitting just behind it.

Rgr, thanks, I adjusted the attachment point and got that fixed. I also fitted a version with the P38 sight, I will post both types tomorrow for comment.

I worked on the D10 and got new sights in place, there is some kind of gray artifact from the old sight that I am trying to get rid of, so I didn't get a chance to move the reticle to the right but I think it can be done.

Stock P47 gunsight

with F4F-4 gunsight

With P38J Gunsight

Nice work. I think the F4F-4 sight looks the best.

I wonder why it was skinned in bare metal for the F4F-4? I don't think I have ever seen a photo of a sight that wasn't matte black. But I've been wrong before.

Yes, F4F is best Big Grin

And it is prety easy to repaint it in apropriate color if needed.

I think the P-38 gunsight would be more appropriate for an early model Razorback.

Avala Wrote:Yes, F4F is best Big Grin

And it is pretty easy to repaint it in apropriate color if needed.

Agreed. Just need to adjust the alpha channel slightly for the reflector glass bezel and add a slip indictor and its just about done. Well done Poncho!

(Sparrow, I've tried sending the files but it keeps getting rejected. Need to host them somewhere. Looking into it.)

310thDiablo Wrote:That sight looks alot better. I'm with Sparrow...what is teh green box? Also...is there anyway to move the sight on the razorbacks over to the right to get out of line with the center bar?

Have you tried one of the 6DOF mods. I use it for for a/c with telescopic sights and it works great. I tried it with the razorback and it gives you the clear field of view your looking for, I think.

poncho Wrote:
310thDiablo Wrote:That sight looks alot better. I'm with Sparrow...what is teh green box? Also...is there anyway to move the sight on the razorbacks over to the right to get out of line with the center bar?

Have you tried one of the 6DOF mods. I use it for for a/c with telescopic sights and it works great. I tried it with the razorback and it gives you the clear field of view your looking for, I think.

I didn't try it in a razorback poncho but I did teh D model. I didn't like the effects of 6DOF. It effected my feel with TIR in a way i didn't like. I may ahve to try it again. I can't wait to see the new sites tho. One question...it was mentioned about a slip indicator...tho that would be nice I don't think the Jug had one on teh site.

Diablo is right. There was no slip indicator on the sight.

Fantastic work. Many, many thanks for this one.

Is there any way to keep the ring and bead sight off to the side? With 6DoF you could actually use it.

Catahoulak9 Wrote:Is there any way to keep the ring and bead sight off to the side? With 6DoF you could actually use it.

Maybe include the price.mat for the old gunsight but not use the textures. Then lay a new texture onto the bone with alpha channel for shape should work.

The static sight is part of the original gunsight, and it went away with the rest of the sight. I would like to keep a static sight there. but not the original. The quality of that one is pretty low also. What I would like to do is use one from a different plane, maybe the Hawk, but I haven't researched this enough to know if this is possible.

Fantastic Work... Can't wait for this to be finished...

On which gunsights should be fitted to which planes, the P47C - D15 (this includes our D10) all used the N-3A gunsight.

N-3A (minus reflector mount)
[Image: P-40gunsight2.jpg]

N-3A reflector mount
[Image: P-40reflectmount.jpg]

The entire effect would have looked something like this (This is a N-3B, I don't think the N-3A has the rotating dial but I could be wrong)
[Image: P-40bombinghead.jpg]

The L3 (P38) sight makes a good stand in for the N-3A for our D10's

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the D15 onwards (our D22 'Razorback', and D25/D25 Late) were all fitted with the MkVIII gunsight. This is the gunsight we see in game...

[Image: P47-painel-01.jpg]

The SBD-5 has probably the closest gunsight to the MkVIII. Its textures though are pretty ugly.
[Image: SBD-5Gunsight.jpg]

The F4F gunsight is close behind for perfection but is much better modeled. I think 99% of gamers would be happy with either of these sights...

Thanks for all the hard work

Spoon

The ring & bead site was there as a replacement for a failed main sight, not in addition too. It is not present in the majority of front line cockpit photos I have and probably not worth the extra work to add it IMHO.