P-47 Thunderbolt cockpit modding references and discussion

SparrowThree Wrote:The ring & bead site was there as a replacement for a failed main sight, not in addition too. It is not present in the majority of front line cockpit photos I have and probably not worth the extra work to add it IMHO.

K, thats the trouble with working from a limited set of references.

Couldn't spend as much time on this project over the weekend but I did make some progress. The P47-D10 mods posted below are still very imperfect (some parts missing on P38 sight, etc).

The offset is making me crazy, I debated whether to post these shots today because in the end I think I will try to center the sight more and use different sight lines to get clear of the obstruction.

I did not work on the alpha layer on the bezel either so the sights are still too transparent. Also Spoon, I did look at the SBD-5, and it would definitely be a source for some high quality textures. The problem is that the Cockpit folder was not resolved in the extraction process (at least for me). So the files are there somewhere but all the names are hashed. Thanks all for comments and suggestions.

Stock P47-D10

P47-D10 with F4F4 sight

P47-D10 with P38 sight

**Here are some attempts make views thru the reticle unobstructed.

Stock P47-D10 GAT

P47-D10 w F4F4 sight GAT

P47-D10 w P38 sight GAT

One last thought, would it be acceptable to razorback fans to make the center canopy frame semi-transparent in the gunsight view.

It seems to me that this would not be totally unrealistic as binocular vision is not really accounted for in models. If you look beyond a narrow obstruction with both eyes, the effect is that the obstruction gains transparency. Could one of the experienced skinners comment on the feasibility of this or if it should even be tried.

guys regarding the P47D late

how about the K14 gunsight mod - or have i completly missed something here - i admit i havnt read all the way through sorry :?

(The link is inoperative)

I didn't think that the K-14 mod worked on the P47-D10, am I wrong? Plus there's the historical issue.
I must explore this, how would the K-14 handle the vertical framing in the center of the canopy on the D10?
I hope what I'm doing doesn't imply a rejection of the K-14 mod, because that is a great mod Big Grin . Possibly I'm just being too much of a historical absolutist, but there it is.

Mr Jolly.......did you mean the K-14 site on the D-10 or did you really mean the D Late? As to the K-14 site on the D late...it works fantastic. I do not however think that any D-10's or D-22's had the gyro site installed.

poncho....I would not object to the transparent bar but in keeping with the game I wold probably prefer just moving the site over to the right some. However if transparent bars become the norm then I'm fine with it. also...I like the F4F site alot better.

The gyro sights were installed in early 1945 so I guess it wouldn't be found on birdcage versions of the Jug...

yeh i just meant the P47D late

MrJolly Wrote:yeh i just meant the P47D late

Awww ok....well if you haven't tried it in the jug you should. :lol:

If I had my choice it would be the P-38 sight in the D10. Re-skinned F4F-4 sight in the D22 and D27 and K-14 in the D27 late.

I personally would vote no on the removal of the canopy framing in gun sight view.

Quote:If I had my choice it would be the P-38 sight in the D10. Re-skinned F4F-4 sight in the D22 and D27 and K-14 in the D27 late.

I personally would vote no on the removal of the canopy framing in gun sight view.

can't say better

I concur with SparrowThree.

Please, please do NOT put the K-14 into a razorback version. That would be historically inaccurate all around.

SparrowThree Wrote:If I had my choice it would be the P-38 sight in the D10. Re-skinned F4F-4 sight in the D22 and D27 and K-14 in the D27 late.

That would be brilliant...

Did the razorback really have the cockpit framing half way through the gunsight?

SparrowThree Wrote:If I had my choice it would be the P-38 sight in the D10. Re-skinned F4F-4 sight in the D22 and D27 and K-14 in the D27 late.

Sparrow....I totally concur about teh bar. I would not want it removed at all. Some transparency maybe. As to the sites...has anyone a photo of a D-10 with site? My thinking is the D-10 and D-22 had teh same site.