DCG: An idiot's Guide

had to go to Paul for this odd bug...and it is a bug. with my information he discovered that the last version of DCG has a bugger in the class system...which causes the error i stumbled upon.

here's his communication about it:

Okay, I've figured it out. The quick fix is to open up the class.dcg file in the DATA folder and change the "side" to "Axis". It's currently set to "Allied" for both the Kate and the Jill. Just change the "1" after the "in" to "2" as below:

B5N2 B5N2 Kate in 2
B6N2 B6N2 Jill in 2

thanks, Paul...for some GREAT customer service on this matter!

Big Grin

Ive done something since upgrading to 3.40 that has made the "roster" option disappear, so now I can not access sqn documents, any idea what causes this?

ex_RAAF_Elecfitter Wrote:Ive done something since upgrading to 3.40 that has made the "roster" option disappear, so now I can not access sqn documents, any idea what causes this?

i'm still using 3.39 but am about to upgrade to the newer 3.40. i'll let you know if i have any trouble with it too...but i'm thinking you may just have had a looney install. things go wrong sometimes and i've had my own share of them in this program. my guess (could be wrong) is that you might have to RE-INSTALL DCG. might lose your ongoing campaign though, but be worth it to have it working right again.

good luck to you, mate!

Beo

no problems with 3.40 so far...working fine.

btw... anybody familiar with the Timetable commands in DCG?

Beowolff Wrote:no problems with 3.40 so far...working fine.

I am not, unfortunately. However, I do know that it is a way of adding specific things at a specific date.

For example)

Change the type of aircraft that a specific squadron flies on a specific date.
Change a location alliegence on a certain date
Have specific units appear on certain dats, like an aircraft carrier appearing in a map on a specific day

Useful, but icing on the cake so to speak. The foundation of the campaign must be solid before getting into timetable commands ... just my 2 cents.

Scharnhorst1943 Wrote:
Beowolff Wrote:no problems with 3.40 so far...working fine.

I am not, unfortunately. However, I do know that it is a way of adding specific things at a specific date.

For example)

Change the type of aircraft that a specific squadron flies on a specific date.
Change a location alliegence on a certain date
Have specific units appear on certain dats, like an aircraft carrier appearing in a map on a specific day

Useful, but icing on the cake so to speak. The foundation of the campaign must be solid before getting into timetable commands ... just my 2 cents.

that's correct. if you don't have a workable camapaign already, there is nothing the timetable commands can do to make it work properly. they won't make a campaign...nor will they make a bad campaign a good one. however, from my early experimentation, they (the timetable additions) do seem to have the ability to really broaden what can be done with a good, solid DCG campaign. my (already workable) campaign (still a WIP at the moment though and undergoing testing) has seemingly been very enhanced by the addition of these timetable placements. basically, they give you a lot more 'pinpoint' control over what is happening within the campaign...and when. ---though as i continue testing bugs or faults may show up...who knows. fingers crossed. :wink:

so far they haven't seemed too hard to use, mostly, from what i can tell...just great care needs to be taken in their use. dates have to be specific and entered in the proper format, lines and spacing between commands have to be done properly or you'll have two or more commands trying to run at the same time, care has to be taken in naming squadrons properly, etc...also, some good thought and planning has to be put into the commands so that the commands being used FIT in with the ongoing campaign and what you are making happen (by use of the commands) makes SENSE with what has already gone on before. otherwise, just get a mish-mash of occurances that mean little to anybody.

what so far is helping me with these commands (and the entire campaign in general) is already having a good, solid plan of what the campaign is about, where i want it to go...all laid out step by planned, logical step. i put it all down on paper, first...then build each segment of the campaign to be in line with what i've already drawn out....making needed changes (work arounds) along the way to fit in with things that i find impossible to work in my original layout. this makes it so much easier to keep track of where your campaign is going and makes every NEW step easier and quicker. also, if something goes astray (as it often does for me) makes it easier to step back and take a look at what i've done and what might have caused the problem so makes fixing it much easier. also helps keep me from losing sight of my original goal or thrust of the campaign. i just have to look at my blueprints to see what i need to do next.

works for me anyway. before i started doing that...it was sheer mayhem!

:lol:

Glad to see guys are still working away at trying to get some new maps into DCG. I'm totally amazed at the amount of work that you need to do in order to do this! So I'm always eternally grateful when people decide to share their work as my real life prevents me from investing the time needed to do this myself. Sad S! to all of you that are working on this.

anyone know why the DCG forum at lowengrin is down?

disregard, its backup

my humble campaign finally finished: read about it here.

viewtopic.php?p=156595#156595

this is my first one and i used EVERYTHING spoken of in THIS thread.

that's right, i used practically every bit of advice offered in this thread. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Big Grin unless you have a very tight time constriction, anybody can make a DCG campaign. it's not hard at all...just time consuming and nitpicky. what i mean by nitpicky is that you have to do a lot of reading and understanding and then you have to follow the instructions closely. being casual and careless will result in things not working right or not working at all. other than that, once you understand how DCG works, the actual construction is pretty easy, especially with the great instructions provided here by Scharnhorst1943.

my suggestions for any would-be campaign makers is to start slow and go slow...making sure that you fully understand each step of the process as you go along. everything in a DCG campaign has a purpose...every file. once you understand what each file does and why it's there, the whole thing will be much easier for you to make, plus it'll be easier to find faults (and fix) or mistakes that you will make as you go along.

thanks, Scharnhorst1943, for starting this thread and helping me get on the campaign making wagon!

salute!

Thanks for the heads up Beowolff! Looking forward to checking it out.

Help please... I am finally starting to create my own campaign for DCG ( a Kiev 1941 JG3 campaign with a more historical feel than the stock DCG version).

Using Scharnhorst's excellent idiots guide + the stickies on Lowengrin's site I have got the hang of creating the road network (I think).

But I cannot set the gattack waypoints I need to get the bridge numbers for my bridge locations.

I have set up an initial waypoint with an IL2 with default loadout as per the guide, then made a gattack waypoint. When I press "SET" I get the target crosshair and green line OK, but I cannot get it to "stick" on the bridge to set the target. No doubt it is something absurdly simple I am missing.....

any ideas?

are you too close (zoomed in too close on the map?) i have had that same problem back in the day in FMB when being too too close...once i zoomed out to where it wasn't like a photo anymore, the bridge points stuck. i don't know if that's your problem or not...just relating what happened to me. good luck with your campaign, friend! Big Grin

Beowolf, you are a hero, thank you! I knew it would be something simple I just had not tried at one o'clock in the morning. Got it .. and the bridge number is in the .mis file.

Now I have no excuse not to continue with this labour. What DCG needs is a utility so that you can just click on two points on the map as locations and FMB fills in a route ... nice to dream.

glad to help when i can... carry on and knock it out!

:wink: