DCG: An idiot's Guide

for you lads that like to blunder about in the dark...lol! my new Atolls Nightfigher DCG campaign is now ready for DL.

check it here:

viewtopic.php?p=158183#158183

Hi guys,
Fly_zo linked me to this thread and I'm happy he did! Big Grin

First of all a big THANK YOU Scharnhorst for this great Tutorial, Your time and patience!

I was up to make a DCG-Campaign for Zuti's Slovenian-Map,the so called "Operation Strafgericht"
But now (not that I'm discouraged) I see that it's gonna take some time...! :?

And thanks to Kaspars PDF there will be something to read from...

As by the title of this thread...I've a question about IL2DCG.

It's probably a stupid question but is it normal that maps in DCG campaign are looking like a big square?

When I fly a map it seem have visible borders where textures repeat themselves to infinity.

thanks for a reply and excuse my bad english

HGuderian Wrote:As by the title of this thread...I've a question about IL2DCG.

It's probably a stupid question but is it normal that maps in DCG campaign are looking like a big square?

When I fly a map it seem have visible borders where textures repeat themselves to infinity.

thanks for a reply and excuse my bad english

DCG only creates missions for the maps. the maps are created by other people. what you seem to be describing is a limitation of the game. Oleg did not make this game (IL2) with a realistic, round world in mind...rather he made it to use flat, cut-out SECTIONS of the world. i guess he did this to save computing power for our computers. anyway... that is why the maps 'seem' so square, and it may be why you are reporting textures that are repeating over and over. (i never really looked at the edge of the maps before in game.)

again...a game limitation. not something DCG has anything to do with. i am not sure if the thirdparty map makers can work around this or not, i do know that some are working on MUCH bigger maps than the game's maker (Oleg) ever intended for the game... but whether they can make a real WORLD map i do not know.

again, this has nothing to do with DCG. DCG merely writes a mission or series of missions for the game to run...much like you would do it if you were using the game's full mission builder to do it. only the DCG program does it faster and more efficent and adds randomness to it.

hope that answers part of your question.

salute!

Yes. Thanks a lot

Best Regards

Regarding DCG, when I view the squad documents, it does not track crew who died in action. The window for those who were lost during the campaign remains empty. Is there a way to enable the tracking of who died to see them in that Squadron documents table?

I am currently flying the new Darwin DCG campaign.

Hi, This DCG tutorial is the max.

I wondered, having an own squad, i want to be able to choose this squad in the squadron monitor. First i started looking and changing things in the DCG folder adding my squadron in DataBig Gringen:SquadronsGB file and also and DataConfusedquadsid

They do appear now in the sqaudron selection list. But It fails to load. So then i realised i had to add my squadron somewhere in a file in the Sturmorvik directory. So i found the sturmovik:files:reginfo & regshort and added a line with my squadron (under the RAF squads).

But opening the game, my squadronname still doesn't appear under the RAF squads. Maybe one of knows the answer on this?

Many thanks in advance
Shangrila

I dont know if this is the right thread.
If its not would someone be kind enuff to direct me to the right one.

Will this get rid of Dgen and its missions or will it only effect campaigns etc made for DCG

davysb08 Wrote:I dont know if this is the right thread.
If its not would someone be kind enuff to direct me to the right one.

Will this get rid of Dgen and its missions or will it only effect campaigns etc made for DCG

This is the right thread my friend, but there is a lot to read.

Lucky for you I am somewhat organized. The first part of this thread explains DCG and what it does to a T. IT also walks you through step by step on how to get it working.

In answer to your question, YES, DCG will replace DGen as your campaign mission generator. DCG adds many more parameters, all of them you can tinker with to suit your personal tastes. All the information you will need is probably in the first two pages of this thread.

If you go through the first two pages and still are having difficulty, PM me and I can help you out.

=BAF=Shangrila Wrote:Hi, This DCG tutorial is the max.

I wondered, having an own squad, i want to be able to choose this squad in the squadron monitor. First i started looking and changing things in the DCG folder adding my squadron in DataBig Gringen:SquadronsGB file and also and DataConfusedquadsid

They do appear now in the sqaudron selection list. But It fails to load. So then i realised i had to add my squadron somewhere in a file in the Sturmorvik directory. So i found the sturmovik:files:reginfo & regshort and added a line with my squadron (under the RAF squads).

But opening the game, my squadronname still doesn't appear under the RAF squads. Maybe one of knows the answer on this?

Many thanks in advance
Shangrila

I personally do not. I know alot about DCG, but just about all of that knowledge was Pre-Mod. I know how to add new maps (I think, I have been so busy I haven't had time to tinker with it) But if you go to the Lowengrin website and ask on the DCG forum, I am sure Paul will let you know how to do it (It is HIS program after all)

I'm trying DCG after few years and I must say this guide is wonderful, thanks for the help.

All is very clear, but I've a question: with the excellent "Forgotten Countries" many new nations are now available for missions; is it possible adding these new nations to the DCG?

I tried to arrange a 1948 Arab-Istraeli war in the Sinai map using DCG, I thing I creatated all the folders & files needed:

1. IS for photos;
2. IS for mission/campaign;
3. Israel.dat for roster pilot towns;
4. IS message in the dgen folder
5. Added to message.dcg (I think) the town locations

But it didn't work :???:

Can you help me?

There are many interesting theaters using new map and countries like Korea or Ebro map for Spain - Using right countries allows to use right ranks, medals and names... it would be great!!

spreng Wrote:I'm trying DCG after few years and I must say this guide is wonderful, thanks for the help.

All is very clear, but I've a question: with the excellent "Forgotten Countries" many new nations are now available for missions; is it possible adding these new nations to the DCG?

I tried to arrange a 1948 Arab-Istraeli war in the Sinai map using DCG, I thing I creatated all the folders & files needed:

1. IS for photos;
2. IS for mission/campaign;
3. Israel.dat for roster pilot towns;
4. IS message in the dgen folder
5. Added to message.dcg (I think) the town locations

But it didn't work :???:

Can you help me?

There are many interesting theaters using new map and countries like Korea or Ebro map for Spain - Using right countries allows to use right ranks, medals and names... it would be great!!

I am glad to hear you are enjoying DCG and that my guide is helpful.

Unfortunately real life has me very preoccupied and I have fallen behind the mods a bit. I do not know how to add the new countries to DCG, but I do know that it is possible. I highly suggest you pose this question on Paul Lowengrin's website. I have a link to his site on the first post of this thread. Ask on the forum on his site. It might take some time to get an answer, but I am sure he would be more than happy to show you where to edit. It is probably nothing more than a file that you need to add all of the squadrons and nations to.

Sorry I could not be of more help, but I am certain that someone on Paul's site will get you what you need. Oh, and FYI, if you find out, give me a hollar so that when life settles back down I can pick this up again.

I have always found Paul is very quick in answering questions

ex_RAAF_Elecfitter Wrote:I have always found Paul is very quick in answering questions

I always seem to catch him on weekends though. He is very keen on taking weekends off to spend time with his family. I admire that. But otherwise, yes. He is usually very quick and very thorough in his answers and help.

Thanks for your help! I just asked to Lowengrin and he answered me immediately... unfortunately at the moment is not possible add new countries because are hardcoded, however for Israeli I will use Dutches and for Egyptians Romanians. I will add a pack to optionally change ranks and medals. Big Grin