MagTek_New Zealand; WIP

Looking really good Magpie! :wink:

Thanks Booze - coming from you guys thats a rather meaningful completment, cheers Smile

Here's an update of what I've managed to achieve over the last few days;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S~ All... with our modem spitting the dummy a couple of days ago its given me a decent chance to get a signifigant amount of map completed.

COMPLETION LOG/CHANGE LOG 20/03/08

COMPLETED ORETI BEACH (23 odd miles of sandy beach, sand dunes.)

'Big Lagoon' (an important reporting point IRL) completed

COMPLETED RIVERTON (a small settlement to the west of Invercargill)

Completed ALL OF WATUNA LAGOON, FORTROSE and WAIAPAPA POINT (INC LIGHTHOUSE) + Started on Catlins

RE-DONE BLUFF HARBOUR, NOW WITH DOCKS

Done a large portion of Southland Farms, up untill just south of Winton and Gore

Completed a signifigant portion just west of Riverton - before hitting Fiordland - which is going to be relatively simple - considering its mostly dense natural forest + fiords - which will be the most difficult thing - getting the cliff faces right without 'water hill's'

Images to come of work completed in the next few days..

WOW! this looks good, I'll be keeping a close eye on this one for sure.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. Smile

Cheers CS Smile

I'll get onto the screenies asap too

maggggggggpieee

hows it comming along havent heard to much about it lately

are u going to do the small towns or just the big ones?

Been busy with it, thats why Wink

ALL townships will be modeled, to some degree... However Sharkzz is the person to ask in that regard... Hopefully the new Semi-Automated Polutating tool helps...

Theres really only three major cities to be modeled, and several larger towns, and dozens of little townships...

At the moment I'm concentrating on texture's, land mass, coastlines, rivers and lakes, and of course airfields. Roads, I'm not going to get onto untill the Towns are populated... so might hand that part off to someone else...

Hmm.. yes.. well a picture says a thousand words :wink:

CS. Smile

sweet looking map cant wait for that one. Its good to have some southern hemisphere maps in the works.

Confusedhock: Nice one RAF_Magpie ... any plans to do the rest of the country?

I'm from the Wairarapa, with Hood aerodrome just down the road. It used to be an RNZAF training base for P40s ... would love to fly into there in "Wairarapa Wildcat" flown by Geoff Fisken.

(I would also love to see a "blank" map ... pre settlement would be cool :lol: )

Cheers and keep up the good work .... I look forward to buzzin' into the Alps.
Esq

Damn it you South of Auckland fella's, I want an Ardmore scenario :wink: , you know we did have some Jap surveillance aircraft over the Auckland harbour areas during WWII right? Seems like a worthy mod map scenario for poor ol' NZ :mrgreen:

Oh if only I could make maps... :?

CS. Smile

Sorry bout the lack of updates/pictures, I had a problem with about 2 weeks of work going out the window when I accidentally over-wrote some files...

BUT I hopefully will have some more update pics, and a short video showing off central otago, mountain lakes, and other stuff.

Esquire, CrazySchmidt, dont you worry... I am hoping to do the other two thirds once this is done... I decided to do this part of the country first, as I know what most of it looks like from the air (its where I've done all my flying so far, so, in addition to my local knowledge; makes it easier).

So dunnyabeworryin Wink

btw CrazySchmidt, I wanna do that, and plan to release a small single mission (tigermoth chasing it Wink) But thats a far off, at this current point in time...

OUT OF INTEREST: If anyone has some details about NZ's airfields from the '40's (with pics, and arial shots) - can you share them? If you can, I'll continue whats not covered with modern day stuff, supplementing what I can get from the public...

Duuuude, that is real awesome! Love the last screen of the corsair and the island in the distance, looks as magestic as NZ really is Smile

Where do you live? Me and my GF went on a round trip in NZ, Nelson, Wellington, Taupo, Queenstown, Christchurch, Milford sound, Auckland and what's that sulfer town again? maybe its one of the above hehehe.
took me about 4000 photos lol. you would really need new trees for this map, but I dunno yet how to replace them, SHULD be possible tho.

Keep it up!

RAF_Magpie Wrote:Sorry bout the lack of updates/pictures, I had a problem with about 2 weeks of work going out the window when I accidentally over-wrote some files...

Magpie, I had a similar mishap a few weeks ago and finally got around to getting some 'real-ish' time backup software, free too. I'm using Back2Zip, which backs up my important files every 20 minutes (adjustable). I always have a USB flash stick in my computer now, as the backup media.

As far as I know, Back2Zip is nasty-ware free. It's not the most efficient backup software but it does the job.

BTW It's good to hear that you're still in good spirits after losing all that work. Looking forward to flying around the Mainland. Smile

Project Update:

Well, admitably I've been rather slack with poor old New Zealand, prefering to concentrate on the Whirlwind and Halifax WIP's...

But I have had a couple of moments to tinker with it... Managed to get most of the coast line issues sorted out, and get the texturing just right... but

What I would like is someone to put up their hands to try and tackle the Cities and Road/railroading...

Um..... is this map still happening. If you want to find about the stations check here
http://www.cambridgeairforce.org.nz/RNZ ... 20Menu.htm

And any possibiilty of a top of the South island. im from blenheim and we had a large training area
around Blenheim/Marlborough area