NEEDS LINK- Historic Midway

This file uses objects from 4.09b1 and LAL RONE's hangar mod (link URL here) , so you need that installed. Otherwise the map may show up, but you will not be able to save missions on it in FMB.

History:

I found on Mission4Today a wonderful template by Boosher and decided I would like that to be my default Midway layout. So, with Booshers permission, I created a new actors.static to include all of his objects. I had to redo all the taxi and parking points though, because the available space decreased significantly ;-) and AI planes need room to manouver and park and will disappear instantly if either one is unavailable.
Now up to 20 fighters\dive bombers or 8 B17's will take off, land, taxi and park properly. The long runway is used by heavy bombers, the smaller one by fighters (at least during my test missions).

Boosher's notes:

This template covers the Midway Islands (Sand, Eastern, and Spit Island) and represents them during the period between 1942 and 1944.
It includes:
-As historical as possible placement of buildings, trees, airplanes, artillery, etc...
-Islands now fully forested, gives the feeling of really flying over land.
-Populated airfield has the same effect as above.
-Created from period aerial photographs with as much detail as I could scrounge.
THIS IS SUITABLE ONLY FOR COOP OR SINGLE MISSIONS:
The objects placed on this map screw up the spawn points on Dogfight maps for Midway Island, and therefore, won't work for dogfight missions unless a "test Runway" is put down.

Note: I removed all artillery, vehicles and static planes so the map can be used as stand-in for theaters not yet covered and I had to cut some trees to allow fully loaded B17's to take off..

How to add this map to your Il2:

*Point installer to your Il2 install directory and run.

I personally replaced the original Midway map with this version because I don't want to edit all my campaign and single mission files; to do this just rename the BPActors.static to actors.static and place it in the MODS\MAPMODS\maps\Midway folder. Backup other modded versions first!

That's it!

I hope you enjoy.

Many thanks to Boosher for creating this wondefully detailed template, LAL RONE for his beautiful new buildings and fly_zo for creating the installer!

Panzerkeil

Screenies:

[Image: takeoff.jpg]

[Image: Midway1.jpg]

[Image: parking.jpg]

[Image: sandisland.jpg]

[Image: parking2.jpg]

Thanks, this looks fantastic!

Very nice, great job! Thanks

fantastic Big Grin

will test it as default midway map in Dgen campaign , to see if it works

cheers
Z

Nice use of those cool looking hangers! Looking forward to playing with it 8)

Cheers

Triad

Glad you like it guys!

I had looked at Boosher's template before too...... some nice work......
but I had also made a new version of Midway last year using the unlocked FMB and prefer that....

there are too many trees for me, and coupled with the fact that they pop-up at an awkward distance spoils the effect ......

also the AI planes will not go and park in the blast-pens, but shy away from them, as with all objects...so with all the pens and trees there are not too many places left for them to go to.

also i found that heavily laden planes would sometimes crash into the docks buildings at the end of the runway...so i moved mine to one side a bit

getting both the long runways to work was a pain...so i ended up having a single direction for each

not complaining ...just saying what I found..... all new map work is useful...and most of us started out by playing with default maps before trying to make our own :wink:

Sweet Man

AWESOME, thanks. Big Grin

Fabianfred: I noticed the same behaviour. It took me forever to redo all the waypoints; every mm counts, but I got the AI parking and taxiing. The long runway will only be used in one direction to avoid the heavies crashing into the harbour buildings. I had to clear some trees though..
But I think it's really cool now to see fully loaded B17's take of between the trees; they can just make it. I think some pilots will have wet hands though. 8)
If you look carefully at the screenshots you can see where the AI will park now (I did not add static aircraft to this map - they are all parked AI planes).
About the trees disappearing: I hope we will have a mod in the future that will increase the popup distance.
Will you reconsider? :wink:

Hi,

first post on this forum.

The template makes Midway look like the heavily populated place it would have been back in '42. A big improvement.

This might not be the right place to mention this but there is one thing that has always bothered me about the Midway map. The dark colour of the water inside the atoll. Pictures of the real thing show most of the water inside the atoll as a bright turquoise colour, quite distinct from the surrounding deep ocean. The inner lagoon was very shallow, in fact, the Japanese invasion force intended to wade from the outer edge all the way to the islands proper. (According to "Shattered Sword", the terrific book about the Japanese at Midway)

I don't know how or even if this could be changed but it might be something worth looking at while people are working so hard to make this a better map. I guess it is not all that important but I always wondered why this wasn't noticed when the map was made originally.

Usually at this point someone would say why don't I do it myself. The thing is, I am not computer savvy enough to even post a picture so please don't ask me to alter the map myself. It would be well beyond me.

Cheers,
TimTam27

Thanks! - this map looks quite good. Nice work.

Didnt generate a BP_Midway folder for me just a 'midway' folder overwriting my original - so entry in all.ini of no use.

Just adjusted original midway entry in ALL.INI to reflect BP_load.ini !

making153 Wrote:Didnt generate a BP_Midway folder for me just a 'midway' folder overwriting my original - so entry in all.ini of no use.

Just adjusted original midway entry in ALL.INI to reflect BP_load.ini !

it didn't suppose to make BP_midway folder .... it places BP_xx files into default midway folder but all.ini "calls" BPload.ini as new map .

So you must have : BP_midway midway/BPload.ini line in all.ini and BP_midway listed as new map .

It is so because this mod is using default midway files along with modded ones .

Z

AH! I see thanks for the explanation - wouldnt my little edit work as well tho ?