NEEDS LINK- Historic Midway

TimTam27 Wrote:Hi,

This might not be the right place to mention this but there is one thing that has always bothered me about the Midway map. The dark colour of the water inside the atoll. Cheers,
TimTam27

I think this can be changed through editing the map_c file to add more "gray" area for shallows. I am presently trying to get that same effect for the lagoon areas of the Mariana islands. The guys who made the Slot map were able to get broad areas of shallow water.

The "turquoise" effect of shallow reef areas is not handled all that well by the stock textures, though. It would be nice if someone who's good at textures could make an attempt at a replacement lagoon / shallow water texture for tropical islands....

The Kwajalein map has some beautiful shallows of this type....i don't know how they did it?

Looks dense, how's the FPS?

Very nice Map!!!!Huge improvement over stock Smile
Thank You

I'm a real fan of all pacific maps.
You did a fantastic job.

One big concern :
You put way too much trees so when japs bombers will bomb the island (or cruisers) FPS will ho like 1 or to 2 FPS because of all tree destroyed and in flames.

FPS is a real important factor in map building.

Maybe you will realse a second version lighter ?
Remember Oleg himself changed a map (an island mulitplayer one) beacause of poor FPS due to trees.

I also agree that i prefer wake color of sea rather than this dark black waters we have from midway stock map.

I've installed this map as instructed but cant get a lot of the objects to show up in QMB (I added it to my QMB), i've checked the static.ini and added the MOD_Hangar stuff, changed BPactors.static to actors.static (do you have to amend the BPload.ini to reflect this change? I have done as it lists BPactors.static under [static] instead of actors.static) but only seem to get a partial load of the buildings/trees etc ? Please see attached file.

Is it due to the fact that I can only get 'Objects Detail' to EXCELLENT and not PERFECT ? I have 'Landscape Detail' at PERFECT btw.

Sorry about the screenie I copied the wrong island but it still shows missing stuff.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... 72&thumb=6

Thankyou

Hi making153:

There should be no difference between perfect and excellent modes.
If you want this map to replace your default Midway map, then remove the entry in you all.ini and rename the bpactors.static to actors.static.
In your FMB open the Midway default map

If you want this to be an extra map and keep the default Midway (which is default installation) you need an entry in your all.ini - in your ..\MAPS folder - , and BPload.ini + BPactors.static - in your \..MAPS\Midway folder - (the only thing that has been changed in the bpload.ini is the actors.static change)

Can you select the new hangar objects in your FMB ?

Hi Panzer,

I've set it up too replace the default map in my QMB but reading your post perhaps its better to keep both maps and use BP's midway as a seperate map in my QMB ?

Most of the objects do load but I have no where near the amount of trees shown on the screenshots, sometimes the static planes appear sometimes not (?) and several of the fuel domes are missing too ? Its better than default but not all there?

I will check my FMB objects but i'm sure i've got all object mods installed - I dont really miss anything !!

Thanks

Hi Making,

I did not add any static aircraft to this map.
Only buildings.
Please note that the trees only popup at 10000 meters. any trees further from your viewpoint will not show up. This is game default and can not (yet) be fixed :-(
Maybe the same is true for some of the buildings?

It is up to you if you want this map as your default. I peronally did, but maybe you have campaigns\missions where static aircraft are parked on places where I (actually Boosher ;-) ) placed buildings. That is why we made this map as an extra one by default.

If you can open the map in your FMB and save a mission from there you are good (no conflicts with placed buildings\objects\trees)

Hi PK,

All ok now - reinstalled and ONLY changed BPactors to actors.static (left [static] entry in BPload.ini as BPactors.static - my mistake here) - named QMB entry as BP_midway. Everything showing up now !!

Thanks for the help - BTW, Those trees are a real FPS killer on my PC !!

3GHZ
7800GS
2GB PC3200

I'd like to have a go at permanently adding objects to a map - any chance you could PM on how to go about it ? I know you can add stuff in the FMB but not sure how to save the changes permanently instead just for a mission.

Thanks

Hi Making; glad you got it sorted!

Actually it is not to difficult to add objects to existing maps:
The only thing you need Unlocked FMB installed. Download available here (The link is inoperative) .

Now - this is important! - before you start editing a map in the unlocked FMB create a new (empty) folder with the exact same name as the original folder (you can find the names in the all.ini file) in your ...\il2\maps folder.

Edit the map and save. Do not use save as, but only save. All the files you have modified will be saved in the new folder you created. However, before they show up in the game you have to copy these files to the ..\MODS\Mapmods\ folder.

It only gets tricky when you want to open maps in unlocked FMB with big actors.static files. You will get a memory error and a crash to the desktop. You will have to use tools to cut the actors files in (geographical) pieces, modify and rebuild actors.static.

The maps are all divided into categories: lowland 1,2,3 and 4, midland (4), mountain (4), country (villages) (4) city (4), and Airfield (4). There are also listed forest, but these are the 4 layers on top of each other creating the 3d effect when you fly above, and the water files are used for water(1) shallow water(2) and coastline (3 and 4). In the all.ini is described which texture is used for what type. To change lowland to mountain e.g. or add\remove forest in map use unlocked FMB. There are limitations to the game engine though, just experiment and you will get to know them very quickly. 8)

I think this should be enough to get you started. I hope you will succeed :wink:
I will try to help if I you have more questions, but I am not as experienced as many others here are. They build maps from scratch which is 10 times more difficult. But all you need for this can be found on this site to.

I hope you have fun and will succeed in adding some nice stuff to maps.
Be patient and nice things will happen! Smile

I have just bought a new house so I will be quite busy the next month, but I'll try to find time to check my favorite site from time to time. 8)

one correction if i may ....

FMB+ is not tool for map modding , its just normal FMB with few extra functions and objects.

For map building you need unlockedFMB , it's part of map modding tools pack and gets enabled via editing bldconf.ini ( game root )

there are constant misunderstanding regarding FMB+ and unlockedFMB so please guys do watch which term you are using .... saving lots of explanations to confused users

thank you
Z

Sorry fly_zo.. :oops:
Corrected my post..

Wow cheers PK - its something i've fancied doing for a while now but like you I dont have much spare time, if I get stuck i'll give you a 'call' !

Thanks again

MK

Hi PK,

Any way of deleting the trees from your map? I've tried to use openFMB by selecting/deleting them but nothing saves to my new 'maps' folder when I click 'save' ?? I've tried deleting the treeline/palm.. entries in your BPactors.static but this just stops every object from appearing.

They really are an FPS nightmare !!

Any chance of a 'lite' version maybe ??