[MAPS] AAS Community Map Making Guide

Here's a basic question:

What's the differece between the FMB+ and the map tools FMB? How does one switch between them?

I made the changes in the .ini file described in the FMB+ download (that was all there was, right?), AND I dowloaded the mod "FMB_Full" and isntalled it in my MODS folder. Was that the incorrect method of installation?

Any tips regarding the modded FMB (esp if two versions) would be very helpful for this project.

Dleg Wrote:Here's a basic question:

What's the differece between the FMB+ and the map tools FMB? How does one switch between them?

I made the changes in the .ini file described in the FMB+ download (that was all there was, right?), AND I dowloaded the mod "FMB_Full" and isntalled it in my MODS folder. Was that the incorrect method of installation?

Any tips regarding the modded FMB (esp if two versions) would be very helpful for this project.

FMB+ is normal FMB with unlocked hidden functions ( + some objects like rail , kronstadt plates...).... its to be used for templates and mission building

unlockedFMB ( map toolsFMB) is map modding version of FMB , its to be used for map building only ( mission saving doesn't work) ... more info : tool's readme

switching between two of them :

user needs to have two versions of bldconf.ini backed up ( one default and one edited for map modding mod) , then just replace bldconf.ini in game root (main ) directory with one he needs at the time .

Z

Thanks for the explanation. This was not clear to me from the downloads and readmes.
I'll try to add something to the guide later, and post the text here so you all can looik for any errors or clarify it. I think this is important.

Is there a link here on AAA for a default bldconf.ini? For me, at least, this was not clear, and I may have neglected to backup my bldconf file.

Dleg Wrote:Thanks for the explanation. This was not clear to me from the downloads and readmes.
I'll try to add something to the guide later, and post the text here so you all can looik for any errors or clarify it. I think this is important.

Is there a link here on AAA for a default bldconf.ini? For me, at least, this was not clear, and I may have neglected to backup my bldconf file.

i'm afraid , there isn't one .... but here are lines for it ( as first aid )

default :

Code:
[builder_plugins]
  (builder.PlMapLoad)
  (builder.PlMission)
  (builder.PlMisAir,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/air.ini)
  (builder.PlMisChief,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/chief.ini)
  (builder.PlMisStatic,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/stationary.ini)
  (builder.PlMisRocket,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/rockets.ini)
  (builder.PlMisHouse,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/static.ini)
  (builder.PlMisTarget)
  (builder.PlMisBrief)
  (builder.PlMisBorn)
  (builder.PlMisStaticCamera)
  (builder.PlMisDestruction)
  (builder.PlMisFront)
[builder config]
  bShowGrid true
  bShowName true
  bViewRunaway true
  bShowTime true
  bShowArmy [3,true,true,true]
  iLightLand 255
  iconSize 16
  bViewBridge true
  bAnimateCamera true
  bActorOnLand true
  bSaveViewHLand false
  bShowLandscape true
  iLightDestruction 128
  iWaterLevel 191

map modding:

Code:
[builder_plugins]
  (builder.PlMapLoad)
  (builder.PlMapActors,sectFile=com/maddox/il2/objects/static.ini)
  (builder.PlMapAirdrome)
  (builder.PlMapLabel)
  (builder.PlMapText)
[builder config]
  bShowGrid true
  bShowName true
  bViewRunaway true
  bShowTime true
  bShowArmy [3,true,true,true]
  iLightLand 255
  iconSize 16
  bViewBridge true
  bAnimateCamera true
  bActorOnLand true
  bSaveViewHLand false
  bShowLandscape true
  iLightDestruction 128
  iWaterLevel 191

i'll add download for it asap

Z

Thanks! For some reason, my head was working when I modded the bldconf file, and I discovered that I did, indeed, back it up.

But ... I still don't understand how thi fits in with the modded 'FMB_Full" that gets installed in the mod folder. Is that mod always left "on"? Or should it be switched off (by altering the folder name?) for performing certain tasks in the FMB?

I just want to make sure I get this right. I am planning on adding two short chapters to the start of the guide - one outlining the basic map building process, and one describing the basic map making tools (such as the FMB varieties) and linking to those threads where they can be downloaded.

Dleg Wrote:Thanks! For some reason, my head was working when I modded the bldconf file, and I discovered that I did, indeed, back it up.

But ... I still don't understand how thi fits in with the modded 'FMB_Full" that gets installed in the mod folder. Is that mod always left "on"? Or should it be switched off (by altering the folder name?) for performing certain tasks in the FMB?

I just want to make sure I get this right. I am planning on adding two short chapters to the start of the guide - one outlining the basic map building process, and one describing the basic map making tools (such as the FMB varieties) and linking to those threads where they can be downloaded.

i have FMB+ ( mods folder ...) enabled all the time and didn't notice anything suspicious when i'm in map building mode (unlockedFMB)

maybe others have different experience ... lets wait for confirmation

Z

Can't concentrate on what's present here for now, but for future it needs also mentioning the explanation of the texture files (.tga, .tgb, .Bumph, .tree.tga). Just keep in mind :lol:

^Good idea. But I know next to nothing about that topic. Can someone write up a quick description to be put into the guide?

QUESTION: WATER TILING

I'd like to mention something about the possibility of making larger maps, like Hawaii, based on smaller landmass maps. Could someone explain how the load.ini entries for tiling water outside a map works?

here is the Hawaii load.ini text:

[MAP2D_BIG]
OutsideMapCell = 28
tile tile.mat
sizeX 1000000
sizeY 1000000
ofsX 600000
ofsY 50000

What do each of those entires mean, and how would one customize this for their own map?

Dleg, Im not sure but I think:

sizeX and sizeY are the sizes in meters of the whole water tiled map.
ofsX and ofsY are the position on the whole tiled map where starts the smaller "land" map which is given by map_T, map_c etc. To check: measure placing objects in a mission at the extremities of the whole map and also placing an object somewhere on the islands such that this place is easy to identify also on map_T for example (it can be a singular position on a road for example). Then if this place has coordinates (X,Y) in the mission (px, py) pixel coordinates on map_T we should have
X=X0+ofsX+px*200 and similar for Y
Here X0 is the x coordinate of the lower left corner of the whole tiled map as determined in the mission.

I've updated the guide with corrections posted here, and with numerous format changes, narrative descriptions of processes, etc.

As always, I would really appreciate more feedback from everybody. Please feel free to provide your own content, even. I will gladly replace any of my own text with text written by folks who know map making better than I do. After all, I still don't even have a workable map yet!

looks pretty well Big Grin

one more suggestion , if i may ....

For better understandings of game files/folder structure and relations regarding maps as well as for obtaining necessary default files :

SFS Extractor :

1. Install sfs extractor

available here :
viewtopic.php?t=2268

2. Place this filelist.txt into sfs extractor installation directory
filelist_sfs_maps_4.09.rar (The link is inoperative)

3. Extract all fb_mapsXX.SFS files ( from game main directory) into one temp folder

Now you have all default map files up to 4.09b1m version along with all texture files accessible/ editable and placed under proper game structure .

that's it .....

Dleg i trust you to reformulate this to fits high standard as rest of tutorial does :wink:

Z

For some reason, when I edit the first post to include the latest update of the guide, it comes out completely blank. Fly_zo, could you help me out by posting this text in the first post? Maybe it's just that I tried to "edit" again after editing the post a few minutes before - is there a limit to how many times I can edit a post on this board?

Thanks,
Dleg

Text of first post:

As suggested by fly_zo, here is a fresh thread in which we can begin piecing together a basic guide to making new mod maps in IL-2.

I will keep this first thread updated with the latest version.

UPDATE 10/01/08:

Version 0.4 - minor updates and additions since last version.

Download version 0.4 (9/05/08 ):

http://rapidshare.com/files/149821138/AA...4.doc.html

Please feel free to review, comment, and most importantly - [u]provide content

CALL FOR ADDITIONS:

I received a PM from someone who wanted to know if he could add material or edit the guide. My response is ABSOLUTELY! That is the whole purpose of this guide (and thread). For the sake of keeping the thread organized, and keeping an organized, complete version of the guide, I would kindly ask that anyone interested please feel free to either:

1. post additions here in the thread - then I can just add it into the guide; or

2. Edit the downloaded Word document using "highlight changes", and post a download link, or even e-mail it to me at legofdog@gmail.com (posting a download link in this thread is preferable, though, in case I get busy or otherwise drop the project). That way, I can ensure that I get all your changes, in the event that someone else also edits the same version and submits it for inclusion.

Thanks!

And once again, please understand that I am also (very much) a beginner in this, and the whole point of the "guide" is to collect input from everyone else as they learn and discover new map making techniques.

Dleg

... edited first post , hope that is ok now

btw, many thanks again for all of your time and effort m8 Big Grin

cheers
Z

but then how do u save the map file if saving is disabled