Philippines v2.0 texts.txt UPDATE 11.2008

crankshaft, i think you simply screwed your all.ini, try to understand how the additions to this file are made, then you'll be able to redo yourself a all.ini suitable for all your maps.

delvpier
Quote:3/ I used only textures from rom and sk... I didn't know they were in Normandy

well, in fact, i fly over a normandy map that uses these sk/rom textures, they seem to be everywhere nowadays :!:

What i (not constructively enough i admit) wanted to say is that, despite the fact i'm very happy we now have a map called "philippines" to fly other, thanks to your (and dixie if i understood well) hard work, it lacks the "tropical" ambiance. It's not so much with the colors (a huge improvement over the initial "fluo" colors) but with the tree rows that are drawn on these textures. Finding the right textures is probably the ultimate work for IL2 maps, i'm aware it's very difficult , but hopefully someone will find, later, a way to give this "tropical" environment to your map.

Still i've been waiting until now for a map that is a suitable playground for earliest B-17, for late P-38s, and for late japanese fighters, thank you so much for finally providing it to us ! Have a good rest, and please find a job that gives you enough spare time to keep on mapmaking 8)

Frequent_Flyer Wrote:
fly_zo Wrote:
Frequent_Flyer Wrote:Fly-zo, thanks for the repy. This is the only line i see in the all.ini.file relating to the map "Philippines dlv_Philippines/load.ini" I have the sound mod, and patched to 4.9b1m. I had no such problem with the Slot nor Darwin maps. I installed the AAA " offical"version

Quote:Attached error report. Again it crashes to desk top after I select Phillipines in FMB

huh, i'm not java programmer so i can't tell from that log anything ( tried google that error code and got nothing )

maybe someone could step in now ?

One more thing , are you running IL2 on openGL perfect mode or directX excellent ?

sorry i'm not more helpful here :oops:

Z

fly_zo Wrote:
Frequent_Flyer Wrote:
fly_zo Wrote:
Frequent_Flyer Wrote:Fly-zo, thanks for the repy. This is the only line i see in the all.ini.file relating to the map "Philippines dlv_Philippines/load.ini" I have the sound mod, and patched to 4.9b1m. I had no such problem with the Slot nor Darwin maps. I installed the AAA " offical"version

Quote:Attached error report. Again it crashes to desk top after I select Phillipines in FMB

huh, i'm not java programmer so i can't tell from that log anything ( tried google that error code and got nothing )

maybe someone could step in now ?

One more thing , are you running IL2 on openGL perfect mode or directX excellent ?

sorry i'm not more helpful here :oops:

Thanks for your efforts. I am running perfect , with open GL.

Z

Frequent_Flyer Wrote:Thanks for your efforts. I am running perfect , with open GL.

well, i don't know then ... just tried that map on my second install ( SM 9.03 4.09b1m) and it works without problems . Not that there should be any difference between UI and sound mod cos it is same wrapper and 4.09b1m files ....

Do try contact some of java gurus here .... Fireball , Hellzone ( and the rest ...) with that log file , maybe they can help .

Once again , sorry

Z

delvpier Wrote:1/ about Landscape details = Excellent... I worked on that bloody map_F all day... it gives a much better view of far landscape but there is still a problem with coast and rivers... unfortunately, before release, I deleted basic files including some layers that would help now... am I stupid !?

so this problem is half solved but I need to go further... in case of unsucces, I would have to restart from the beginning... just for those who play with Excellent settings (... it's so better in Perfect)
Maybe it's time to think about a new graphic card :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have a method for making a good map_F from map_c and map_t in few hours of work...
Basically you must get a map_c where black is replaced by transparent colour (to do that I must invert black/white, use the "remove white" tool and invert again - just did not find a "remove black tool"), then you make this map the same size of map_t. This layer will become your map_f.

In the same file you then copy map_t as a separate layer.

Then using the magic wand, select all pixels of map_t with texture 0,0,0, and colorize (not paint, just colorize, that is important!) the corresponding pixels of the map_f layer with the appropriate texture color (e.g. green for forest, yellow for sand, etc...). Repeat this for all other texture index 1, 2, ....31.

About objects and towns, my very personal opinion is "if you cannot see it while flying at 400 km/h, it's not important! Smile ". So for my maps (Malta and the upcoming Central Mediterranean) I put few objects in towns. But then I accepted the help of other map builders who made more"populated" versions of the map.

Maraz

Maybe to save you some time just "import" some town template, for example using Kyushu town style, use Cut&Shift (since Kyushu can't be opened in FMB map mode) prog and extract create and autopop plus some work in FMB map mode...maybe a couple of hours...but if you do it right you end with a "Pacific" town template you can use on other maps too, even if with minor modifications :wink:

delvpier Wrote:2/ I agree with you Lowfighter, towns are probably too simple... I must admit that placing objects (even with autopop) is a little boring for me... what I like in map making is most of all creating a new terrain model, loadable in game and texturing landscape... other aspects, I make it because it is needed... I will think about it :wink:

oh hey, i think i see my house from the map! :lol:

6S.Maraz Wrote:I have a method for making a good map_F from map_c and map_t in few hours of work...

Yes, you're right... I made it yesterday BUT I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM...

To get first basic files from Microdem for map of such size, I'm sure you know you can't set map pixel size at 50 to get map_c (out of resources)... so I set to 200 and, after cutting at by 8 divisable size, I resize x 4 in Gimp with sinc (Lanczos 3) interpolation (so no need to blur coast)... to be more complex, I extend land by 1 or 2 pixels before resizing x 4 ( ensuring there is no problem of holes or water raised on shores ). For map_t, I start basically by setting water at 31 and land at 0... but later often I extend also land area by 1 or 2 pixels (no sand beaches) !

The result is there are differences between representation in map_c and in map_t ! And now trying the method you described, it gives bad results for coast at far distance... even more, it gives also bad results with rivers... because I added rivers much later on map_c... without texturing in map_t (if you look at map_t, there is no color 30 for rivers)

To be even more complex... when I said setting map pixel size at 200... NO... I don't remember wich map pixel size I've set Cry I tried many with only one ambition : making the greatest size including all islands and loadable in game... I think it was 115 but I'm not sure and I haven't keep any notes about... and I deleted basic files :x

So now I'm in a total shit because of that bloody map_F I didn't think about, playing allways Perfect !

But thanks... :wink:

lowfighter Wrote:Maybe to save you some time just "import" some town template, for example using Kyushu town style, use Cut&Shift (since Kyushu can't be opened in FMB map mode) prog and extract create and autopop plus some work in FMB map mode...maybe a couple of hours...but if you do it right you end with a "Pacific" town template you can use on other maps too, even if with minor modifications :wink:

Yes you're right

I was thinking to try to include some sceneries of the excellentissimo Kyushu Template Map...

I think you had a hand in this one :wink:

... but I don't like to use the hard work of others for my own purpose :oops:

rollnloop Wrote:... it lacks the "tropical" ambiance. It's not so much with the colors (a huge improvement over the initial "fluo" colors) but with the tree rows that are drawn on these textures. Finding the right textures is probably the ultimate work for IL2 maps, i'm aware it's very difficult , but hopefully someone will find, later, a way to give this "tropical" environment to your map.

Yes I agree with you, I told the same to Fabianred in a mail some days ago. We have plenty of textures for European theater but very few and not very nice for Asia. That's the reason why I tried to tweak some but it was wrong... a little better with more red... but I think we have to wait until a photorealistic texture making program :roll:

For trees, there would be a solution if tweaked textures would have been used... delete tree.tga files associated with textures... but here, there are generic textures so... Sad

I see no problem using them, that's why they were created, to be used :wink:

delvpier Wrote:
lowfighter Wrote:Maybe to save you some time just "import" some town template, for example using Kyushu town style, use Cut&Shift (since Kyushu can't be opened in FMB map mode) prog and extract create and autopop plus some work in FMB map mode...maybe a couple of hours...but if you do it right you end with a "Pacific" town template you can use on other maps too, even if with minor modifications :wink:

Yes you're right

I was thinking to try to include some sceneries of the excellentissimo Kyushu Template Map...

I think you had a hand in this one

... but I don't like to use the hard work of others for my own purpose :oops:
Big Grin

I have replaced several textures in my load.ini with some of the texture lines used in both The Slot and Burma/Thailand/Indo China maps. I have also replaced the water with the Pacific reef style of blue water like The Slot. I have to say, this map was AWSOME to begin with Smile , but just replacing a few textures here and there...I am VERY happy with it now. Big Grin

Perhpas I will post a screen or two of my results soon.....There is still one thing I want to try. :wink:

Thank you soooo much for this amazing map!

Justin

Sorry us Excellent users are causing you so much Trouble!!! :oops:

We sure do appriciate your hard work! If its' any consolation prize I've made some serious headway with those FEAF missions Smile

Yes, don't lose heart! As you know, I have volunteered to help out with the populating of the map.

Map looks great . Is the scale 1 : 1 ?

Downloading now