[BETA] Lockheed F-80A Shooting Star

Can we use the tail hook of the F-80?

tail hook? which tail hook?

I can report that this plane works well with Catapult MOD b3 by Fireball soon to be released. Cat MOD is still testing but as far as I can see F-80 works like a charm even loaded 2x 1000lbs and drop tanks with 100% fuel. All we need is a hook!!

Newest version is not released yet watch Catapult MOD thread for newest release b3.

Great addition to the plane line up GatoNegro!!!

S!

Look for Jagr Post. His Version of the p-80 Which is basically the same thing really will have a tail hook and load out .

Can anyone instruct me on where to put these .ini files I'm a bit behind in monkeying around with these files/mods.

American
Can you PM me a link to the post on that? Thanks

1. Add the following text to "Air.ini"
Located in>>>> C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\STD\com\maddox\il2\objects

F-80A air.F_80A 1 NOINFO usa01 SUMMER

2. Find "i18n" folder (STD folder if you have AAA installer)
Located in>>>> C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\STD\i18n

Add the following text to "Plane_ru.properties"

F-80A F-80A ShootingStar, 1946

3. Find "i18n" folder (STD folder if you have AAA installer)
Located in>>>> C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\STD\i18n

Add the following lines to "weapons_ru.properties"

#####################################################################
# P-80C ShootingStar
#####################################################################
F-80A.default Default
F-80A.2x500lb 2x500 lb. Bombs
F-80A.2x1000lb 2x1000 lb. Bombs
F-80A.8xHVAR 8xHVAR Rockets
F-80A.8xHVAR+2x250lb 8xHVAR Rockets + 2x500 lb. Bombs
F-80A.LR-LongRange DropTanks
F-80A.LR-2x500lb 2x500 lb. Bombs + DropTanks
F-80A.LR-2x1000lb 2x1000 lb. Bombs + DropTanks
F-80A.LR-8xHVAR 8xHVAR Rockets + DropTanks
F-80A.LR-8xHVAR+2x250lb 2x250 lb. Bombs + 8xHVAR Rockets + DropTanks
F-80A.ExtraLongRange Extra Long Range Tanks
F-80A.none Empty

Thanks a bunch, and I take it you just paste the folder with the aircraft details into the mods folder? I'll give this a try Big Grin

Correct

Testing it further, so far, fully loaded she is a heavy bitch and needs lots of room to take off. Preferably on a concrete runway. I've yet to test speed and maneuverability. The yp80 has a touchy throttle and tends to overheat fast during takeoff if you don't manage the throttle well. It also has a nasty habit of snapping wings if you go more then 600km/hrnto a tight turn, jink or roll. I know with the 4.09b mod you can go a 100ish km/hr faster before the load snaps the wings and it accelerates faster (to me it seems.)

I'll update if I find anything off with this mod.

So far everything looks great and works fine. Any chance of using rocket assisted takeoff for this?

If the P-80A has rocket assisted takeoff I don

Bah, it looks like the B variant got the RATO system. But I found this..

"The AAF paid Lockheed $8.5 million to give the P-8OAs some features of the next model (P-80B). This took roughly 1 year. By March 1948, all P-80As in service had received under-wing rocket launchers, and all but a few got an engine water-alcohol injection system to ease takeoff."
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /f-80a.htm

Think you can add that to this F80A, boost capability to ease takeoff?

It might be a pain with overheating issues. Anything over 90% on takeoff will overheat that engine pretty fast. By the end of the takeoff I'm fluttering between 95% and 87% to keep the engine cool. Or I try and keep it at 95% until I've reached about 300m before throttling back to 87% to cool down.

If not, well there's always the B variant to get approval on Big Grin

HH_Download Wrote:So far everything looks great and works fine. Any chance of using rocket assisted takeoff for this?

Maybe. Working on.

[Image: 2603200951835.th.jpg][Image: 2603200951837.th.jpg][Image: 2603200951842.th.jpg][Image: 2603200951845.th.jpg]

I need photos of the rato bottles used in this aircraft.

S!

Could only find one image and it wouldn't load onto a link so I could get a bigger shot. It looks like it was placed right under the fuselage under and slightly behind the wings. I've seen a boxy looking setup with multiple rockets and a single tube setup, same placement, about 7-8 ft long, about 2ft diameter in some artist renditions before.