[Mod WIP] USA F4U-1 Corsair "Birdcage", 1943 - v2

Thanks Maus

The AAA QC area will be testing this new slot and amending the model as needed with your knowledge.

Is this mod in any kind uncompatiable with mod activator v5.2? :roll:

If you want historical accuracy in weapons load outs for the F4U-1 you will need to eliminate the center line hard point as well. There was exactly one F4U-1 with the center line hard point, the one that Vought used as a test and modifications aircraft. The center line hard point, initially intended for a 178 gallon fuel tank and was introduced on the following:

Vought F4U-1A, Bureau Number 18026

Goodyear FG-1A, Bureau Number 13572

Brewster F3A-1A, unknown

Use of the center line hard point on the F4U-1A for attaching a bomb rack started in early 1944.

F4U-1's did have a small rack under each outer wing panel for a small (100 pound) bomb. There is no indication these were ever used in combat and were usually removed in the field.

stansdds Wrote:If you want historical accuracy in weapons load outs for the F4U-1 you will need to eliminate the center line hard point as well. There was exactly one F4U-1 with the center line hard point, the one that Vought used as a test and modifications aircraft. The center line hard point, initially intended for a 178 gallon fuel tank and was introduced on the following:

Brewster F3A-1A, unknown

Use of the center line hard point on the F4U-1A for attaching a bomb rack started in early 1944.
That's right, I read about the centre pylon being introduced early 1944.
The only thing I'm not sure, is if the 178 gal. was ever used on the F4U-1 "bridcage".

the new v2 works well,thank you!
新版本工作正常,谢谢楼主,呵呵。

I'm pretty sure it's in Clash of Wings (circa 1998), but could be another much older dvd series I had called War in the Pacific (circa 1954), which showed birdcage USMC Corsairs taking off from a small island airfield with what looked like a 250lb bomb under the fuselage centreline, in war footage. Timeline was early '44 however.

Unfortunately I got rid of many dvds recently and can't look it up for you again, but I definitely remember noting they were birdcage Corsairs, and the little bomb under the fuselage looked weird, kinda too small for the load bearing appearance of that engine.

I realise this is purely heresay from the readers point of view. Just thought I'd mention it for further research, there has to be some kind of record of this somewhere.

Version 2 awesome result, :lol: 8) :wink:
Gives a lot of scope for historical accuracy with missions.

Version 1 had the memmory loss problem half way through in game. :oops:

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun
Thailand

Hi Muas, V2 works perfect. There are some great Birdcage skins by Ronnco on Flying Legends!

Speaking of skins, how do you add skins to this beautiful aircraft? Best Regards Big Grin

Sora Wrote:Speaking of skins, how do you add skins to this beautiful aircraft? Best Regards Big Grin
(It's in the readme file.)

Just add a folder named F4U-1 inside your Paintschemes folder. Put all your customs skins in there. Add the Corsair MkI void.bmp file if you want, for future reference and repaints.

Thank you Muas Big Grin

Muas Wrote:
stansdds Wrote:If you want historical accuracy in weapons load outs for the F4U-1 you will need to eliminate the center line hard point as well. There was exactly one F4U-1 with the center line hard point, the one that Vought used as a test and modifications aircraft. The center line hard point, initially intended for a 178 gallon fuel tank and was introduced on the following:

Brewster F3A-1A, unknown

That's right, I read about the centre pylon being introduced early 1944.
The only thing I'm not sure, is if the 178 gal. was ever used on the F4U-1 "bridcage".
The F4U-1 could not carry a drop tank either, no center line hard point.

If you study photos of F4U-1's and -1A's you will see that most -1A's have a small hook on the belly just behind the cowl flaps. This was the forward attaching point for the 178 gallon drop tank and later, the Brewster bomb rack. All F4U-1's lack this feature.

Alrighty, it's working perfectly now! Big Grin

just one quick question: would it be possible to clone this slot again, that way we could have the F4U-2 and Corsair I both with their own slots? This would also solve the problem of the mat markings on the current -2. But,
i have no idea how much work this entails, so please disregard if it's too hard.

Muas !
Great work, worked first time !
ColaBen

V2 works perfectly on my rig as well. Great work, Muas!