[Mod WIP] USA F4U-1 Corsair "Birdcage", 1943 - v2

Muas Wrote:I wonder why didn't anyone made this before... or maybe someone did it and I missed it?

I was nearly finished with one I working on, with correct weapons loadouts but since your's is out I'll trash my project and move on, again...

BB

I've installed aircraft manualy quite a few times, so I didn't find the proceedure any different with this one.
Updated the air ini plus the plane and weapon ru properties files.. no dramas, usual install.

When I come to get it flying in game however its no dice.. when selecting armaments it immediately went into a error msg then shut down.
Tried to fly it just on default loadout and got another CTD at 30%..
I've double checked my install proceedure and its all by the numbers as per instructions in the readme.. as I said, I'm used to installing in this way so its not me mucking things up..
Binned it until someone comes up with a solution..

sc1949 Wrote:Installed all as normal, went to quick, selected a bombload (2X 1000LB), hit fly stopped at 50% loading, waiting 10 minutes so far.

Had to end with task manager, then tried loading with default load, stopped at 30% this time. Task manager again to get out.

Trooper117 Wrote:I've installed aircraft manualy quite a few times, so I didn't find the proceedure any different with this one.
Updated the air ini plus the plane and weapon ru properties files.. no dramas, usual install.

When I come to get it flying in game however its no dice.. when selecting armaments it immediately went into a error msg then shut down.
Tried to fly it just on default loadout and got another CTD at 30%..
I've double checked my install proceedure and its all by the numbers as per instructions in the readme.. as I said, I'm used to installing in this way so its not me mucking things up..
Binned it until someone comes up with a solution..
I'll ask again: anyone that's having problems getting the "Birdcage" to fly, please disable all mods and try again - we got to be sure there is no conflict.

I'll look indeep at the files tonight. What puzzles me is that some other people (including me) have no trouble with it... don't worry, we'll sort it out for sure.

Kimura Wrote:That shown bomb rack was a field mod and was first used with the F4U-1A. The F4U-1 Birdcage had provision for a center line fuel tank but was NOT able to carry any bombs on the centerline rack.

2bits Wrote:I was nearly finished with one I working on, with correct weapons loadouts but since your's is out I'll trash my project and move on, again...
I promise I'll update the "Birdcage" with the correct weaponry, I just want to be sure what that might be.

For now I suggest:
    1 x 178 gal. Droptank
    2 x 154 gal. Droptanks
    2 x 500 lb. Bombs
    2 x 1000 lb. Bombs
    Empty
I removed everything that was on centre pylon, except the 178 gal. droptank (or should it be a 154 gal. on centre?).
What do you think?

Hi!

Lovely and needed mod!!

I'll dl it and report any bugs if any!!!

Thanks

walter

SEMPER INCOMMODUS

Wie Bitte?? OLEG IS A GOD !!! HE KNOW'S EVERYTHING !!!! HIS GAME IS PERFECT !!! MUST I SPELL IT FOR YOU ?? P-E-R-F-E-C-T !!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Sorry man, I just had to. No hard feelings, eh ??

Phillip :twisted:

Doh!!! I forgot the quote!!! :oops:

Maus,

I would limit load out to 1x178dt for historical accuracy. Even the drop tank would have been a "late" modification for the early -1. It wasn't until 1944 that they even started hanging a single bomb on the -1A from what I've read. I have a fair number of books/publications on the Corsair and have not found a single photo or reference of a -1 with anything other than a drop tank and that was a factory photo. The only external bomb racks on a -1 were well outboard (midwing) and limited to relatively small aerial bombs.

Even though -1's were used through 1945, the -1A entered theater in October '43. Before that there is no reference of Corsairs carrying bombs so it's really not necessary to add external ordnance to the -1 when the -1A can be used, even if the -1A has more ordnance options than was historical as well.

For what it's worth anyway. It's your mod.

BB

I've said earlier that I didnt have any problems running the F4U-1, actually I've run into some just now

When I first tried the aircraft I ran a quick mission where I didnt bother switching to the allied side but instead flew with LW markings for a fast test run. Now when I tried a quick mission with side set to allied I get a CTD both on mission loading and when trying to enter the armament screen.

Didnt change anything on my mod install since I've installed the Birdcage...

Kasaya, I think you might have stumbled onto the problem! (at least, for some of us) :!:
When I read that it worked for you when you flew it as an Axis plane first, I tried flying it as Axis and it works! Flies great! Big Grin
I'm willing to bet that if the others who had the CTD reports tried it as an Axis plane, it'll work.
But choose Allied...CTD Cry
So, what mod could be causing that problem? :?:
Obviously, most will want to fly this plane correctly, AKA USA....

Let me put 2 cents in,

Im very grateful for you work, I have a huge historical Campaign based on the F4U-1 and have been using the british plane for ever.

I have vanilla, UI 1.1 on my machine and I am building my Map, and Campaigns based on the UI's so the most people will be able to use it.

There is obviously a conflict with a vanilla copy of UI 1.1, thats a big deal, because you are going to have a great deal of people who have proplems.

So I would Go through the UI 1.1 and look for 3d0 files in mods that Conflict.

Maybe someone else with a vanilla install of IL-2 1946 and the UI 1.1 could look into this, as I do not have the skills to do so.

This would Greatly help out the author of this great project, and allow more historical enthusiist of this aircraft to fly, and use it in other projects for the community.

Thanks, again and with all respect,
Dixiecapt

I'm having no problem flying and loading - but there is one odd little quirk - when loading the plane with napalm, the bomb release command won't work. The napalm canister doesn't release. Bombs drop fine, but not napalm.

On other variants of this plane napalm is released as should. But not on this version.

Not a big deal, just don't load napalm on this version, but it is a bit odd as the other bomb loads drop as they should.

Just tested it- as Allied, CTD on both Armamant/skin page and when loading mission in QMB. As Axis, no problem when opening Armament/skin page; selected Germany as nation, then started mission in QMB: 1 F4U-1 vs 3 A6M5s on Pacific Islands map, altitude 1000 metres- CTD when loading mission.

My problems I've already stated.. but I'm not using the UI, so it's not just a vanilla UI install problem..

Cry I can't fly this bird.
I install it and I can load the game,but when I select the plane and fly it,the game crash at the last of loading.A dialog box told me someting about OPenGL was wrong...

I've been testing this bird almost a whole day now, and here's what i'm getting:
Flying in QMB as Allied - CTD on choosing Armament button.Sometimes straight CTD, sometimes 30%.
FLying in QMB as Axis default (Germany) - no issues, plane flies perfeclty with all loadouts - only problem is the Napalm not releasing, as mentioned earlier.
Also, if in QMB as Axis, if I try to choose another Country other than default - CTD (memory crash)
I'm using UI 1.0, and have searched everything in my MODS and Files folder...no conflicts whatsoever.
I might hazard a guess, and say it could be the Nations mod, but that's a wild shot in the dark... :roll:

bigbossmalone Wrote:I've been testing this bird almost a whole day now, and here's what i'm getting:
Flying in QMB as Allied - CTD on choosing Armament button.Sometimes straight CTD, sometimes 30%.
FLying in QMB as Axis default (Germany) - no issues, plane flies perfeclty with all loadouts - only problem is the Napalm not releasing, as mentioned earlier.
Also, if in QMB as Axis, if I try to choose another Country other than default - CTD (memory crash)
I'm using UI 1.0, and have searched everything in my MODS and Files folder...no conflicts whatsoever.
I might hazard a guess, and say it could be the Nations mod, but that's a wild shot in the dark... :roll:
Thank you very much for your trouble concerning this issue bigbossmalone.

If we can sort where the conflict is, I'm sure we can get around this problem.

I'd suggest you do the following:

Disable that nations mod your refered, and try again.
If the problem still persists, try disable all other mods if you can.

As you might know the wrapper gets the il2 engine to read everything he find inside de mods folder in alphabetic order - in case you have two files with the same name but in different folders inside the mods folder (different mods), he just reads the first one he finds, and skips the other. That's a common way of conflict.

One thing you might try, is to put the "birdcage" mod first on the list of folders inside your mods folder. That way you can be sure that all files of the "birdcage" mod are read earlier than others that might be in conflict. One simple way to do this is to add a "_" (underscore) prefix on the F4U-1 folder, renaming it like _F4U-1. The name of the folder is irrelevant, what matters is what is inside of it, unless the prefix is "-" (minus)...

And this is the other easy way we have to sort out these kind of conflicts. If you put a "-" (minus) prefix on a certain mod folder name, that mod will be ignored. But that its not enough, if that mod is a new aircraft for example and you want to disable it, you'll have to take that entry out of the air.ini file. Just a comment on the line will do: insert "//" at the start of that line.

I recommend to disable all mods and try just the "birdcage" - that will be the best start to track the problem. Once we know what mod is the offender, I can try to work around it.

Me, I don't use the UI nor any other mods package. I have it though, and I just pick some mods I want, but usualy I find verytihn as "standalone" around here.

I tested the "birdcage" again last night, in QMB, both sides different nations, different loadouts, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for your cooperation.