[WIP] Emils Jabos: Bf-109E-1/B and E-3/B on new slots

Muas Wrote:
=BY=RUDY Wrote:Motor MGFF in E3 had 60 rds, not 200!
And MGFF in E3 was not able to fire Minengeschoss round!
My source says it had 200 rounds when mounted in airscrew; when mounted on wings they could only bear 60 rounds.
What's Minengeschoss?

MGFF used drum magazines (60rds). Didn't matter where you mounted the gun. Part of the troubles I've read about MGFF motorkanone installation was that gun overheating caused the drum feed to jam.

The MG151 was belt fed and for the 15mm in F-2 motorkanone there was a 200rd box. When increased to 20mm in F-4 there was a 150rd box.

@sturmbock, thanks for the info on MGFF motorkanone. The author Tony Williams at his gun website and database told me however he challenges any assertion the MGFF had anything but a vey light recoil, not sure if this relates to "vibration problems." iirc sources I read cited overheating as the main issue, whilst recoil was an issue mounted in the wings, not because of a heavy recoil but a light wing structure not originally designed to mount weapons. Maybe not relevent.

vanir Wrote:MGFF used drum magazines (60rds). Didn't matter where you mounted the gun. Part of the troubles I've read about MGFF motorkanone installation was that gun overheating caused the drum feed to jam.

Vanir I'm agree with you, one of the limit of the MG/FF was the drum magazine.
The drum was 60 rounds, so I think the motor kanone was 60 rounds too.

I just found a source that says the drun was often loaded with only 55 rounds even it was a 60 rounds.
Later was introduced a cilindrical 90 rounds drum. (not conical like the 60 rounds drum).

Yes Vanir, the MGFF had a very light recoil because the gun mechanism was very simple, a cylindrical spring move the bolt forward feed the round and having a fixed firing pin it shoots the cartridge just being rammed in the chamber. The opposed force to the powder blast is only the mass inertia of the moving parts until the recoil forces overcome it and the extraction began.

[Image: 47st47m.gif]

I don

vanir Wrote:The MG151 was belt fed and for the 15mm in F-2 motorkanone there was a 200rd box. When increased to 20mm in F-4 there was a 150rd box.

The F-4 and later 109s could carry a maximum of 200 rounds of 20mm as well, the increase of calibre of the round did not mean a reduction of stored ammunition with the Mauser. This can, for example, be seen in the "Ladeplan":

Here for a Bf109F-4 Trop

[Image: Bf109F4_ammo.jpg]

Says 500 rounds for each MG17 and 200 rounds for the single MG151/20

What I tried to model is

2x MG17 on the cowling w/ 1000 rds
2x MGFF's on wings w/ 60 rds
1x MGFF/M on the engine w/ 200 rds

The E-4, had the MGFF/M already installed on wings, the E-3 had the MGFF's on the wings.

I'm not sure I've done it correctly as I don't know if the MGFF's are modeled ingame. I used an existing MGFF which has slightly less a firing rate.

As per the airscrew cannon, I can correct the loadout to 60 rounds, but I suspect there were 120 at least.

All this can be corrected on next update, remember we have a new canopy on the works.

I also think we should consider an new FM for the E-1, as its engine had about 76Hp less than the E-3/4's.

Any idea when the Emils Jabos (Bf-109E-1/B and E-3/B) will have their correct FM?

Muas Wrote:I'm not sure I've done it correctly as I don't know if the MGFF's are modeled ingame. I used an existing MGFF which has slightly less a firing rate.

Is that the one from the A6M Zero? I think its quite a good fit, no Mineshells, slower RoF,...

Quote:I also think we should consider an new FM for the E-1, as its engine had about 76Hp less than the E-3/4's.

Will see what I can find on the E-1/E-3 and get to work ASAP

Just thought I'd share a pic to show how my rounded Early canopy is coming along. It's mapped to the actual skin so it will always be the correct colour.

[Image: canopy.jpg]

I'm thinking that for the E-1 I'll have no retro-fitted armour, but maybe retro-fitted armour seeings as by the Battle of Britain most E-3s had armour.

And what about the open-window effect? Good? Bad?

I like the open window (y) and maybe for the E1 go for no armour, so there is a bit more variation. Out of interest though, whats the ETA for these fixes?

Meh. Don't work with ETAs. Smile

Tha canopies are largely done - I'm just working on fixing the FMB crashes that some people get with Ranwers E-1 and the E-3 (based on the E-1). I've narrowed it down to the WingLMidD0 and WingRMidD0 files that Ranwers clearly edited to remove the cannon and bulge, but whatever he did the game doesn't like much.

The canopy looks great!
I don't like the "open window" so much though...

I'm not too keen on the open cockpit panel either, I think it's a good idea and all, but I think the way the game engine renders it makes it look like a bug, like theres glass missing, rather than it being a seperate sliding panel , if you catch my drift.

Yes, I agree totally.
There should be two pieces of glass + a handle visible...
It will look a bit weird too up high... :?