[Beta] Random Splash Screen Cycler

~S~ able 72!

A fine concept and should be included in the next UI. I love the variety and ability to enjoy the great IL-2 artwork out there on a surprise basis.

Problem---Error message---"The system cannot find the path specified."---scrolls repeated message for a couple of seconds.

I take it that this means the root path is not set properly but I have done it exactly as in the readme for my different installs ( I keep 1 pure UI1.1 for assured crt=2 compliance, 1 for adding any compatible mod and working, 1 for adding new mods for testing).

I would like this to control my E:\Ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 installation but no permutation yields other than the above error message.

i.e.----- set root=e:\ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
or set root=E:\Ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

set root=c:\program files\ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
or set root=C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
etc.

I haven't faced the install problems that I've seen others struggle with for other mods but this has me scratching my head bald even tho' it seems so simple. I have the .bat file in the game folder rather than in the Splashscreen folder in Mods---tried it both locations but no joy.

Thanks for your great mod, m8!

able72 Wrote:...You are correct, the original splash screens are 512x512. However, the splash screens in the Mods Folder created by the UI 1.1 is 1024x768.
This I do not understand, as I no longer have the UI SplashScreens; I use only my own creations.

Quote:...I am on a 21" 4:3 CRT (1600x1200). I expect that any distortion this small difference creates is not noticeable on my monitor (at least I can't see it). I expect on a wide screen monitor such as yours, which operates on a 8:5, this would exaggerate the distortion and make it more readily apparent.
It makes no difference. Even on a widescreen, all SplashScreens and all Menu Screens appear In-Game in 4:3 aspect ratio. On widescreen monitors, there are black bars on left and right, with the 4:3 Screen Image in the center.

I have played with several Splashscreen/menu TGA images again today, and confirmed that the original JPG image must be in 4:3 aspect ratio, which you then artificially resize (unlocking the original aspect ratio) to either 512X512 or 1024X1024, and then produce as the final TGA file. Any other size/resolution will definitely result in a distorted, horizontally squashed SplashScreen/Menu image, whichever type monitor is being used.

That's my experience, anyway, over several years of making personalized Menu Screens, and the same has applied to making SplashScreens with the Splash Screen MOD included in the UI. Folks can take my advice or not...to each his own, of course.

P.S. Here in this Thread are about 20 SplashScreens formatted and sized and ready to be downloaded and installed. They can simply be dropped into your Screens Folder and randomly used by your excellent SplashScreen Randomizer.

Strider Wrote:~S~ able 72!

A fine concept and should be included in the next UI. I love the variety and ability to enjoy the great IL-2 artwork out there on a surprise basis.

Problem---Error message---"The system cannot find the path specified."---scrolls repeated message for a couple of seconds.

I take it that this means the root path is not set properly but I have done it exactly as in the readme for my different installs ( I keep 1 pure UI1.1 for assured crt=2 compliance, 1 for adding any compatible mod and working, 1 for adding new mods for testing).

I would like this to control my E:\Ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 installation but no permutation yields other than the above error message.

i.e.----- set root=e:\ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
or set root=E:\Ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

set root=c:\program files\ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
or set root=C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946
etc.

I haven't faced the install problems that I've seen others struggle with for other mods but this has me scratching my head bald even tho' it seems so simple. I have the .bat file in the game folder rather than in the Splashscreen folder in Mods---tried it both locations but no joy.

Thanks for your great mod, m8!

Do you have the Splashscreen.bat file on the same hard drive as your IL-2 install your working with?

Doolittle81 Wrote:P.S. Here in this Thread are about 20 SplashScreens formatted and sized and ready to be downloaded and installed. They can simply be dropped into your Screens Folder and randomly used by your excellent SplashScreen Randomizer.[/color]

Thanks for the pointer. . . I see expansion packs in my future Big Grin

Yeah, m8! I've got the Splashscreen .bat right in the E:\Ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 folder---I also tried it in the Mods folder and in the Mods\Splashscreen folder but no joy.

The readme is silent on the location for the .bat file, so I tried what I thought were logical places. What is the correct place, please?

Thanks again for this great mod that adds a class and sophistication to the sim.

Strider

as long as its on the same drive as your install it should be fine. I've have mine in the root directory (c:\) but thats just cause that makes it easy for me to find. I tried moving it to inside the main folder and in the mods folder, it worked both places.

Just to double check, go into your install on your E: drive, make sure the .bat is on the :e drive. Then make sure that the following paths contains the Randfile.exe file:

E:\Ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\mods\splashscreen\gui

and

E:\Ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\missions\campaign\de\screens

Look forward to getting this resolved for you.

*edit* currently experimenting to get this working on my d: drive. hmmm. .

*edit* nope, that worked fine. I'm not sure, I can't seem to duplicate the problem your having.

What OS are you using?

Appreciate your time and help, m8!

I have set root=e:\ubisoft1\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

The screens files were not correctly located in the various countries campaign folders. They have been moved as suggested.

With the Randfile.exe in \Mods\Splashscreen\GUI, I got

[Image: RandomSplahscreen.jpg]

With the Randfile.exe moved back to \Mods\Splashscreen\GUI\screens, I got

[Image: RandomSplahscreen1.jpg]

Hope that helps you diagnose the problem other than a bad case of Noob!

I'm using Firefox.

Thanks again!

Yeah, sounds like you dropped the Mods folder from my mod into the mods folder so you had a \mods\mods
and the same with the mission folder.

Am I correct in assuming that it is now working correctly for you and that you are getting cycling splashscreens?

After correcting file placement and 5 tries, always the same loading screen, no cycling.

I had originally moved the Splashscreen Mods and Mission folders from \MODS\mods, just not to the correct campaign folder levels. lol!

BTW, neither does it start the sim, TIR, TS or TSO as I added it to do. Commands aren't getting through for some reason.

Thanks for your time. I really want this to work, seems I'm my own glitch.

Strider Wrote:After correcting file placement and 5 tries, always the same loading screen, no cycling.

I had originally moved the Splashscreen Mods and Mission folders from \MODS\mods, just not to the correct campaign folder levels. lol!

BTW, neither does it start the sim, TIR, TS or TSO as I added it to do. Commands aren't getting through for some reason.

Thanks for your time. I really want this to work, seems I'm my own glitch.

No problem, I'll be happy to help, just stick around till we get it fixed. Its getting late here. 11:30p

Do you have the cycling working now?

If not let me know where the /mods folder and the /mission folder is from my mod

Lets fix this before we move on.

Any chance to get this to work on a 64 bit system?

fish Wrote:Any chance to get this to work on a 64 bit system?

Um, IF I had a 64 bit OS to play with. I MIGHT be able to make it work.

Late here too, m8. This post and then I have to hit the sack.

The \mods folder went into MODS\Mods. When the mod didn't seem to work, I moved Splashscreen folder and its contents to the \MODS level.

The \missions folder went into the \Missions\Campaign folder. I manually moved each county's Screens folder, .tga and .mat files to the respective DE, JA, UN, FI, FR, etc. folders to get to the last photo above. I deleted the now-empty folders above those levels.

Hope that strikes a clue on file placement. Would a fresh d/l be easier?

Have a great night!

Strider Wrote:Late here too, m8. This post and then I have to hit the sack.

The \mods folder went into MODS\Mods. When the mod didn't seem to work, I moved Splashscreen folder and its contents to the \MODS level.

The \missions folder went into the \Missions\Campaign folder. I manually moved each county's Screens folder, .tga and .mat files to the respective DE, JA, UN, FI, FR, etc. folders to get to the last photo above. I deleted the now-empty folders above those levels.

Hope that strikes a clue on file placement. Would a fresh d/l be easier?

Have a great night!

Yes, it would. Once you get the dl, go into your Ubisoft directory, and drag and drop the missions folder on top of the IL-2 1946 folder. You should get a menu pop-up that looks like the one below:

[Image: 68734011.png]

click yes to all.

Repeat this with the mods folder.

That should put all the folders and images in the right place.

Make sure the splashscreen.bat folder is on the e:\ drive and you should see your splash screens cycle.

To get the splashsceen.bat file to launch IL-2 as well change the following text at the end of the splashscreen.bat file from this:

Rem Start IL-2 Directly
Rem cd C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovick 1946
Rem Start IL2fb.exe

to this:

Rem Start IL-2 Directly
cd %root%
Start IL2fb.exe

save the changes and it should now randomly cycle your splash screens and start your IL-2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S.
If you use IL-2 Stab or have some other programs that you want to run at the same time as IL-2 if you can tell me where there .exe files are then I can tell you what code to add to the end of the batch file to make them run as well when you run the batch file.

Strider Wrote:[Image: RandomSplahscreen.jpg]

OFF-TOPIC! -> Strider, as seen by your desktop screenshot...Everyone should NEVER EVER use the "Documents And Settings" Folder and any folder inside it (Per example: Desktop folder).
Create YOUR own folders everywhere you