WIP VANUATU 3/4 month project

Hi Thrud,

Thanks for that Naval Archive photo link.

It's really really good :lol:

Have only looked through a quarter of it this afternoon.

I've picked a lot out to use as reference so far lots on airfields etc.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

Have ben researching and playing around with an FMB ed map today.

Just wondering how this looks to you all.

First time effort.

Tips or abuse welcome.

Cheers Kirby

Hi Kirby,
IMHO the areas around Pappy and the Corsairs looks a bit "untidy" to me. I hope you don't mind but I took your picture and mucked around with it for about 15 minutes and this is what I got it to look like;

[Image: Farang65.jpg]

I cut the area around Pappy and plane and made a new layer with it and erased all (or most of) the white and bits of colour that were around the edges and made the opacity of that layer around 53% which hides any of the bits I missed (well I hope it does) :lol: To get close in I zoomed the layer in to 500% and set the brush size to 1.

I'm using Photoshop, I don't know if you are using it or Gimp but the processes would be similar in both. Experiment with various things, you'll be amazed with some of the results and not so happy with others :lol:

Have fun with it m8

Cheers

Quelty

Thanks for the play around.

I'll post a pic of yours of what it looks like in game.

I use Gimp now Kevin P helped me make the conversion with this this map.

Will post an in game image soon.

Thanks again Quelty,

The Corsair looks better across the entire bottom of the photo.

I also like the editing. Just have to convert it back to an ed map.

Cheers Kirby

Thanks for your input

Here's a picture of the ed map in game.

You do not see it at first. It comes up as the second shift image when you shift/zoom in to a map

May give people a surprise.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

After going over the map a few times especially with coast aligning I noticed a few flaws.

I don't know how to rectify this problem.

I hope someone can tell me how to do this.

The texture is mainly beach but the huge lagoon that was half cut off involves both land and beach textures.

Really need some help with this one before I start getting heavily involved with wood and new textures.

I hope I can rectify this without too much difficulty.

Sorry about the printing I am a lefty and doing that right hand with a mouse guur!

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

You seem to be in trouble again. All the problems you point out are on map_c.
It's nothing to do with textures.

Just open "Mymap_c" with Gimp, select the Brush tool & choose a small brush (Circle Fuzzy 03).
Make sure "Opacity" is off. Then paint out the bits you don't want with black.

Remember to put it through the map_c converter again.

Cheers
Kevin

I hope you had some relaxing time off.

I hope you enjoyed your Easter time off.

Thanks for that Kevin.

Those photos are the only areas in question.

Will be fixing that today.

Black as in foreground colour only No rgb values.

I don't know what caused this.

Once again very easy instructions.

Cheers Kirby

farang65 Wrote:Those photos are the only areas in question.

Will be fixing that today.

Black as in foreground colour only No rgb values.

I don't know what caused this.

Once again very easy instructions.

Cheers Kirby

My two cents worth. Try a value of dark grey somewhere around 80-100 RGB and not pure black. This will probably give you the appearance of "shallow water" that you probably want for a little strip of water between two bits of land.

2 cents worth or over here two baht is more then enough info.

I'll keep your two cents worth in mind.

I just wanted to rectify the few coast area problems that I had on the map before texturing etc.

I will be learning and doing something similar to what Thrud had done some time ago in a thread called reefs.

This is just the start.

That's why probably a three month project being married and working doesn't help much as well.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

This looks pretty good!

Is Rabaul around there?

Cheers!

Working hard at adjusting coasts and changing peeks from a triangular shape to a more natural shape.

I do about 5 or so islands a day. Thank C-----T ! for holiday time.

Time consuming work.

Pictures in a few days.

I have always liked the deep blue Pacific Ocean of The Slot map so I borrowed that water from the load.ini

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun.

Loht773 Wrote:This looks pretty good!

Is Rabaul around there?

Cheers!

Rabaul's a couple of thousand kilometres (give or take) to the NW of this map

Guadalcanal is about 500 miles northwest of Espiritu Santo. Rabaul is an additional 560 miles northwest of Guadalcanal. Given my limited knowledge of how maps work in Il2, I'd say that a map of this size is pretty much impossible.

It would be neat as USMC squadrons usually came to the combat area through Espiritu, then flew to Guadalcanal and their specific operational area. Units returning for R&R would come back to Espiritu, usually in C-47's (USN R4D). They would remain on Espiritu until deemed healthy enough to go to Australia. When R&R was nearing it's end, they would return to Espiritu, practice flying and combat tactics, pick up new or overhauled fighters and fly them up to Guadalcanal and begin their new tour of duty. The usual deployment for units was 6 weeks in combat followed by 6 weeks of R&R, this cycle was performed three times to complete a deployment.

Like I said, it would be neat, but covering 500 miles of open water at an average speed of around 180 miles per hour makes for a long and boring flight. You could always do this part in MicroSoft FlightSim!

Well

Steadily working on the coast aligning and peeks etc.

A lot of islands he he he

Before Cry

After Big Grin

Will have some fly over shots on the week end

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun