Map building tutorial

Hi Kevinp,
I'm planning a huge map 17216*9536 pixels regarding Middle Italy 1943-1944. I want to make a real distance map, not in scale.

First problem is Microdem, it doesn't set to 50 pixel, because it doesn't read more than 4GB RAM...
So I used Microdem to cut this map in 4 parts, then I set to 50 pixel and obtain 4 mymap_c.tga.
I used Gimp to join them, I opened the first image and then the others as levels, I used the command funding levels, so Mymap_tga was 320 MB (I don't know why every part is 40MB, so I expected 160MB, not 320MB). Anyway I try to use Map_c Tollbox, the result is "MAP TOO COMPLEX"....
I've read about map_c on the new Map_Buildings_for_beginners_v4, so i put mymap_c.tga in the folder where is located CMAP, installed Java, launch trasformat, but nothing happens. So I try to download the MAP_C_Toolbox by Redwolf at http://www.eagles-lair.dk/downloads/mapc-toolbox, but the site was down. I search on the net, but I don't find...Could you upload on a storage site?
Many thanks, Bigans

Hi Bigans

You can download the Map_C_Toolbox here:
http://eagleslair.adelby.dk/download/Ma ... _1.1.0.msi

You might want to grab CoastAlign as well while you're at it: http://eagleslair.adelby.dk/download/Co ... _1.2.0.msi

cya around
Redwulf__32

160MB is the correct file size for a map that size. If it's 320MB it probably means there is an Alpha Channel in the map. To get rid of it use the "Flatten Image" command in Gimp. Save it & check that the size is about 160MB then try transform.bat again.

Cheers. Kevin

Thank you guys, but the miracle happens the same!
As Kevinp said in this topic I use Microdem to crop the map at 200 pixels instead of 50. So even if the area is big I use gimp to scale up the image, so I obtain the real mymap_c at 17216*9536 pixels!!!
Then I follow the tutorial as usual and the result is that the beta map is ready.
I copy paste two airfield, from Med_map and Taranto, into it and I run it.
S.ten. Bigans drove an aircraft Cant. Z.1007 from airfield of Grottaglie (Apulia) to that of Capoterra (Sardinia) about 780 km in 2 hours and 20 'on the new beta Italia_Gustav, map 1/1 prepared to rebuild the military operations that have affected our peninsula from 9/9/43 to 4/6/44.
The map is uncompleted about texture, rivers/lakes, not aligned coast line…I know the road has just begun, but I’m happy!
Thank you Kevinp, you’re the Genius!
RedWolf thank you for the new link and for your help.
Bigans
P.s. Kevinp if you send your mail address by p.m. I'll send you the map so you can check all.

[Image: grottagliecapoterra2ore.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes Kevinp I Know, Italia_Gustav it's a huge map and working alone will cost years...

But, as we have done for Med_map(mrz), I think that we could save time doing minimal things:
- set textures (coast line, terrain and textures cities instead of cities);
- copy paste standard arifield;
- build only main harbour.

I hope to have the help from two other guys

With these minimal things the map could be used to plan historical missions from the landing in Salerno, bombing of Cassino, Crossing the river Garigliano an Sangro, landing in Anzio

I am glad to hear you may have two guys to help. Good luck with that.

Cheers, Kevin.

Hello Kevin

After a long break i reinstalled IL2 and set up everything to make maps. I still have version 4.09m . First i wanted to rework one of my maps . All works fine to the point when i save the map in FMB.

There is allways no data in the desired folder. Why can`t i save ? I used the data came with your new tutorial for version 4.10.1m .

Regards, Marco

Hi Marco

Try a test with a different map & see if the data is saved. If it works OK with a different map then the problem may be a spelling mistake on your map folder.

Hello Kevin

I whish it was that simple ...

Tryed it with several maps - copied and pasted names to prevent spelling mistakes .

There must be something else causing this issue : (

It works !!!

After hours of trying / moving folders / changing .exe ....bla bla bla ... it finaly works again !!!!

Do you know why it wasn't working?

Sorry Kevin

No Idea ! Sometimes this game makes me so confuse ... Confusedhock:

Hi Kevinp,
Hope you're fine!

A question about home base in dogfight mission: when I create a dogmission on other maps, users see all their home base. When I create a dogmission on my map, after placing the home base, users see only the first home base placed, although airports work well in co-op and single. Where am I wrong?

Thank you

Hi Bigans

Sorry but I don't know the answer to this question. I think it is a question for mission building not map building.

Cheers. Kevin

bigans Wrote:Thank you guys, but the miracle happens the same!
As Kevinp said in this topic I use Microdem to crop the map at 200 pixels instead of 50. So even if the area is big I use gimp to scale up the image, so I obtain the real mymap_c at 17216*9536 pixels!!!
Hi Kevinp, I need another help.

Unfortunately, I lost the precision of the coastline in this huge map.

[Image: il2fb2013022301313796.jpg]

Check the real coastline

[Image: orbetellooggi.jpg]

Could it be derived from the fact that I cut the map to 200 pixels instead of 50, or because I applied the gaussian blur?