Map building tutorial

Hi bigans
I think you are correct, the problem is that you cut the map to 200 pixels.

kevinp Wrote:Hi bigans
I think you are correct, the problem is that you cut the map to 200 pixels.

My pc is:
-i7;
-6gb ram;
-invidia ge-force 2gb dedicated memory.

If I pump up the RAM, do you think that I can cut the same huge map to 50 pixels?

Hi bigans

My feeling is that pumping up the RAM wont work, but I may be wrong.

What I would do is crop the map with Microdem into 6 or 8 pieces & change each piece to 50 metres per pixel. Then open up your original Mymap_c & paste each piece on top (on a new layer). Use the original map as a guide to position the new pieces.

I don't think they would be a perfect fit so you may have to do some painting by hand along the edges.

Cheers, Kevin.

How making river and lakes? Need I work mymap_C or may I create on Map_T.
Thank you

Hi bigans
You need to draw rivers & lakes on Mymap_c.

Cheers Kevin

Hi Kevin,
It's been a long time.
I'm generating a new version of my map and I still have a problem with the objects visibility.
Indeed, some of the objects are set up to be seen from far away (up to 100km) both in the msh (LOD) and mat (VisibleDistanceFar) files and my video settings are set to the maximum level, but the objects only show from as far as 10 to 15km.
Is there a setting someplace on the map or anywhere else that limits the object rendering distance?
Thanks,
N

Hi,

Try this: In your conf.ini of IL-2, change distance= to one number higher than it is. Right click on the conf.ini file and change the Properties to READ-ONLY. Let me know if that improves the visibility distance.

Clinton

Hi Clinton,
I don't see any distance entry on conf.ini where should it be?
I've only have VisibilityDistance=3 under [Render_OpenGL]
I've also set LandGeom=3 that seems to improve the distance visibility but I think is only for airfields and not other static objects.
I've read someplace that there's a hardcoded limit of 3km on IL2
Cheers,
N

You can try visibilitydistance=4, but if my memory serves me right it only runs upto to 3 - not sure.

Clinton

I've tested it but doesn't work. As I told you, I think the limitation is hardcoded someplace inside the exe (for execution, in map building mode you see everything from very far away.)

However, I've found a very interesting trick by searching on the forums.
In fact, the only objects that IL2 allows to be seen from far away are the airfields.

By placing a blank runway plate close to a static object you make the object to be seen from very far away.
It can be a hard job if you want to make big cities to be seen from far but it works wonderful.

What I've done is to place blank runway plates near the bigger buildings on the cities plus some random plates all around the cities.
That makes not all the buildings to appear from far but you've got a very nice effect.

I think it's a trick every map builder should know about.

Cheers,
N

nounette Wrote:... some of the objects are set up to be seen from far away (up to 100km) both in the msh (LOD) ...

HI!
As i know the distance visibility for [LOD] are in m not km!changing them to bigger numbers will make the object visibility grater, but converting and changing too many objects one by one is not easy task!

Quote:stuka_40 wrote:
As i know the distance visibility for [LOD] are in m not km!changing them to bigger numbers will make the object visibility grater...
Hi Stuka,

As far as I know LOD is in meters. I set it up to 100000 (so 100km) what it's more than any object provided with IL2 (normally max is 20000 to 30000) but it doesn't work.
As I said before, for what I could read in some forums (and tested it practically) there's a hardcoded limit inside IL2 no matter what the msh and textures could say.

The trick I've written about is a good workaround that, of course, affects only objects correctly set up on the LOD and textures.
As an example, I've placed an invisible runway near a bridge from the BRIDGE MOD but as the LOD of the object is very low I could not see it from far anyway.

Cheers,
N

Hi kevinp,
I've made progress with my map, but as it was a huge map, I've got two problem:
1 - the map c is not aligned with the map h, then I see the mountains of water in the sea (coast align seems to work but the result is always the same);
2 - If you fly high above 2500 meters you lose sight of the lanscape, so you don't understand where you are.

I'll send you a mission and the link to the map by mail (Kdp....@hotmail....).

Please fly the mission with FMB (only giving play) so you can understand what I said.

Hope you can help me to solve these problems.

Thank you.

See you

bigans Wrote:Hi kevinp,
1 - the map c is not aligned with the map h, then I see the mountains of water in the sea (coast align seems to work but the result is always the same);

bigans...

If your map_c and map_h are not properly aligned Coast Align does not have a chance of aligning the coast correctly (I'm the author of Coast Align). Coast Align only takes actual coastlines into consideration - not stretches of open water.

...hope this helps.

cya around
Redwulf__32

Redwulf__32 Wrote:Coast Align only takes actual coastlines into consideration - not stretches of open water.

Thank you Redwulf__32 but I don't understand the meaning of your answer, could you explain me in other way?