[WIP] Bell P-39 "Airacobra" cockpit repainted

S!

THanx for the link! Downloading now. MAngas, keep up the great work!

Looks great as always Anton,

Where did you manage to find the placard for the map case?

I looked around for quite a while myself, and couldn't find a clear picture or reference. I pick the Q10 every once in a while on Spits vs 109's MOD over Slovakia.

Nathan

B50 Wrote:Looks great as always Anton,

Where did you manage to find the placard for the map case?

I looked around for quite a while myself, and couldn't find a clear picture or reference. I pick the Q10 every once in a while on Spits vs 109's MOD over Slovakia.

Nathan

Well, thanks to HolyGrail for directing me to perhaps the best detailed walkaround of the remaining true -39Q:
http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/p ... 21_18A.jpg

Btw, Nathan, is it possible that you find any reliable info about what exactly Bell Green & Zink Chromate colous were looke like?

I think I still JUST HAVE TO make a fresh non-weathered version painted in color similar to smth. like:

[Image: BG-1.jpg]

Regarads,
Mangas.

P.S.: To everybody: please feel free to post your thoughts (as well as colour samples) about the true possible colour that might have been used. You'll help me A LOT to stop hesitating and continue the work... Maybe this original discussion will boost the ideas:

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/ ... ckpit.html

"It is not known for sure how much Medium Green was used for interior finishes. Several Army instructions dated as long as end-1943 called for Medium Green finish on interior portions of cockpits that were subject to direct rays of the sun. Bell might have used a variation of Medium Green for the cockpits of P-39 Airacobra."
Color chip:
http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34092

Mangas, this is the same color you show above.
My guess would be that, if you use this as a base, after weathering it would be nearly identical to what at least some P-39s cockpits were finished in.
Go for it!

True craftsmanship! 8)

Airacobras are my favourite plane type , i pray to God you will finish this , thank you very much Mangas ! Spassiba Smile

I love you too Mangas !!
I see light at the end of the tunnel with brand new spanking P-39 pit colors Big Grin

[Image: 229_surprises_smileysmiley_com_54.gif]

After a lot of hesitations & debates with myself, I decided to make a Bell Green colored 'pit.
So some main elements are done already... I think I'm going ahead of my own schedule for this... :lol: Well, I'll surely will finish it sooner than expected, especially if JAMF will "lend-lease" me his mega-high-detailed USAAF instruments... :wink: Big Grin

Here's just a small demonstration of what may be possibly done with them
(JAMF, if you read this -- hello! :lol: ):

[Image: P-39WIP_2.jpg]

More updates are coming soon...

Regards,
Mangas.

P.S.: whoever whants to help me, please, I'm in need of black coloured high-res metal textures, solid/plain and with some scratches would be great! Thank you.

This is going to be great. Big Grin

Hello Mangas. Big Grin

I will join in the request for a good black painted metal texture. The instrument panel would benefit from a good background texture.

S!

This looks good. Great work! Will for sure give P39 more time after this gem is out Smile

Looking terrific, Mangas-
I like the Bell green.
P-39 is a fun ride, I can't help but feel that in game it is a shade better than real life, but- I need all the help I can get with certs new AI mod! Big Grin

P-39 is the individual top scorer allied plane against the Luftwaffe during WWII , people often forget this Smile

Bad feedback about P-39 made by British and American pilots were about the first series of Airacobras in 1941 , if you look at their griefs , most of them were addressed by Bell in later variants except the poor performances at high alt due to lack of supercharger of the engine ( If only the P-39 had been fitted with a supercharged engine , it would have been awesome )

In game , the P-39 quite accurately reflects its real life counterpart in term of performances at low to medium altitude IMHO (eastern front conditions ) , it is still inferior to anything German except the G6 , and still very poor at high alt as it should be .

i'd even say perhaps its responsiveness at higher speed above 400kph is slightly undermodelled (according to accounts i've read , not only Golodnikov but in various other books , Soviet Cobra pilots had no problem following 109's whatever they did except in sustained climb, they could fight on par with them in the vertical plan and out-accelerate them in a dive , not sure we can reproduce this in game )

Also the damage model is quite frustrating ( any hit in the rear part of the fuselage necessarily hits the engine which is annoying , due to DM simplification ) . In our sim Il-2 , the 109 and the P-39 are the planes that have been given the most attention in FM , can't remember where i had read this , must be a few years ago on ORR .

zorro1980, thx for the article and your interest...

Continue doing little here and there... Babysteps... But every day! :lol:
Most BIG elements are finished already... Some buttons/indicators/stencils & minor details are left to do... If I'll have the super-drooper instruments by JAMF then the whole thing will be finished within a month or so... Much sooner than I actually planned... :lol: Here's couple more WIP pics:

[Image: grab0004.jpg]

[Image: grab0005.jpg]

Regards,
Mangas.

Marvelous work Mangas. Will this cockpit be available for all the P-39 variants?