[MOD] Desert map retextured

WOW excellent....will this map work with out the U.I. ? I dont use the U.I.

Whoops, posted wrong stuff in wrong thread (thanks JAMF). Meant to say, is there some way of removing the auto-pop trees from the desert textures? Apart from that, this looks beautiful. :wink:

I can understand why this retexturing was done. The original hills never did look right with that saturated brown rock colour. Looking at the screenshots though, there's a part of me that doesn't much like this either. I don't want to criticise unecessarily (I know how involved map making and texturing can be) but somehow those mountains look a little bland, despite the suitable colour range. Personally I would like to see a little more contrast than that and whilst I have to confess I've never personally been to a desert region, the images I remember from film, tv, and National Geographic often show rocks with more range in color, and different from that of the dry gravel or sand surrounding the highlands.

I would use a modified version of the original. Reduce the saturation, maybe alter the colour balance a little. Still, thats just my humble opinion and if everyones happy with the mod, please ignore my two cents worth.

caldrail Wrote:I can understand why this retexturing was done. The original hills never did look right with that saturated brown rock colour. Looking at the screenshots though, there's a part of me that doesn't much like this either. I don't want to criticise unecessarily (I know how involved map making and texturing can be) but somehow those mountains look a little bland, despite the suitable colour range. Personally I would like to see a little more contrast than that and whilst I have to confess I've never personally been to a desert region, the images I remember from film, tv, and National Geographic often show rocks with more range in color, and different from that of the dry gravel or sand surrounding the highlands.

I would use a modified version of the original. Reduce the saturation, maybe alter the colour balance a little. Still, thats just my humble opinion and if everyones happy with the mod, please ignore my two cents worth.

Your opinion is not to ignore, not at all! We have, all of us, different tastes. Where someone likes a mod, someone else finds it unrealistic, and so on.
You are right when you say that what moved me to make this operation was the poor aspect of original one. (... but if I think that I made so many trials just to have a result avoiding the contrast that now you wish...sigh!!! Big Grin )
As I told, anyone has his own perception about what is desirable for having a deeper immersion in our beloved simulation!
Therefore your modifications are welcome, and I think that several solutions should be available, so we can choose according our taste. Don't hesitate to post your modified load.ini, tell us which textures you modified and how, let us see screenshots to see result: I would like these threads becoming like a workshop where fellows share their finds and help others!!! Retouch my textures as you want, I really don't pretend that my result is the best possible, there are always solutions we haven't planned !!! :wink:
So, I repete, your modifications are welcome! Big Grin
Bye!

Crankshaft Wrote:WOW excellent....will this map work with out the U.I. ? I dont use the U.I.

Sorry, I don't know.
Someone tried without UI1.1 ???

PS
I'm aware that there is a great variety of landscapes, but making this retexturing I thought to a voyage I made many years ago in Tunisia, so appearance of hills is more based on my memory and my photos rather than on satellite images.

[Image: Tunisia215-1.jpg]

Bee Wrote:Whoops, posted wrong stuff in wrong thread (thanks JAMF). Meant to say, is there some way of removing the auto-pop trees from the desert textures? Apart from that, this looks beautiful. :wink:

Add "Fields" to the texture name. -viking

... your new textures are such an improvement that I'll now have to refly ALL my desert campaigns, that for sure will take me to the end of summer :lol:

Thanks a lot for sharing

Now I have three versions of SandsOfTime Big Grin
1=Default Map
2=VPMedia's retextured map
3=Ectoflyer's retextured map

I made a screenshot of each from the same point of view just for comparison.

[Image: DefaultDesert.jpg]

[Image: VPMediaDesert.jpg]

[Image: EctoDesert.jpg]

It definately was this map mod. I did uninstall it and took my ALL ini file out of game and had to redo my all ini file. I hope to get this working but we'll see.

I think it may have a conflict with another map....

4./JG53_Badger Wrote:It definately was this map mod. I did uninstall it and took my ALL ini file out of game and had to redo my all ini file. I hope to get this working but we'll see.

I think it may have a conflict with another map....

... sorry but that's not possible ( conflict ) , it must be that installer has made double entry in your all.ini file ( or messed up some line ) so game couldn't load it .

I've tested this map on AAA UI 1.11 and on my "normal" AAA UI1.0 installation ( installed with autoinstaller) and all went without a glitch .

reg
Z

Double entries on all.ini files happen all the time, but have no effect on loading. I discover them after a few days and manually delete them. But the game loads happily in the interim.

I'll see, I'm trying it again.....

Thanks alot great work Wink

viking4570 Wrote:....Add "Fields" to the texture name. -viking

Could you be more precise please Viking ?

Which texture ?

Do we have to simply rename it by adding "fields" (and where do we place this word?)

or do we also have to delete something ??

THX in advance

FZ Wrote:
viking4570 Wrote:....Add "Fields" to the texture name. -viking

Could you be more precise please Viking ?

Which texture ?

Do we have to simply rename it by adding "fields" (and where do we place this word?)

or do we also have to delete something ??

THX in advance

It doesn't matter where you add it, as long as it is in the name. For instance, on this map, Ectoflyer has included a texture called "Ect_des_moun_text0.tga". Rename it to "Ect_des_moun_text0_fields.tga"

and random trees will not appear on it, unless you create a specific .tree.tga file for it.

Remember you have to change the file name in the load.ini also to match.

cheers - viking.