Thread Closed

South Vietnam WIP

Hello Deutschmark, I started the original map using the starter pack by farang65, Kirby to you and me. Anatoli added further detail to the airfield I created to represent Tan So Nhut, he found detailed photographs in a French publication and asked if he could add the detail to the map, of course I agreed. :wink: Anatoli did further research into French military fortifications used throughout Indochina and also added these to the map. We both share an interest in the role of French Air Forces in this region during the colonial period, the time period for the original map project.

At one stage Whitecat asked and was given permission to re-texture the map on the condition that he released it under his own name to avoid any confusion with my version, although in all probability his textures may have been adopted for my map if it had gone ahead.

Dixiecapt is the latest to venture into altering my original map, his interest specifically in US Marine operations in the South Vietnam theatre, primarily in the northern part of the map, I also asked that he release the map with his own title to avoid any confusion with the colonial map me and Anatoli are doing as the 68 period airfields and military installations would have looked completely out of place on what is essentially a Forties and Fifties map.

There are also maps available of North Vietnam at SAS, one again a colonial period map and the other a jet age one.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

So then if I got this right we will have like 2 or 3 Vietnam maps for IL2
Like a early, mid and late kind of thing?, if so do you think it is best to
Have different threads so people will see that they are different?
That is if I understand this right.

Deutschmark

Hello Deutschmark, there are just the two in this thread at the moment, early and late peiods of South Vietnam. Mine for the Forties/Fifties and Dixiecapt the Sixties. It would be less confusing to have two threads but seeing as Dixiecapt had already posted here in this one he decided to continue further posts in this thread, he was going to start a seperate one at SAS but for some reason couldn't so there we also have the two maps in the same thread. :roll:

I guess it could be confusing but at least it keeps everything in one place so you don't have to keep looking around the site for the relevant info you want. :wink:

My next update of the early map will in all probability be the last so I will make it as clear as possible to the community which version it is, maybe even open a seperate thread for what will be the final.

Hello all, thanks to a thread at Ultrapack by Up~Boomer I've now finally been able to add long working bridges to the map. :wink: These replace all the previous Delvpier bridges.

Near Saigon.

[Image: Workingbridges2.jpg]

[Image: Workingbridges3.jpg]

Take off from Pakse.

[Image: Workingbridges1.jpg]

Dwellings at Bien Hoa.

[Image: BienHoadwellings.jpg]

Final for the colonial version of the map should now be ready by the weekend, I hope.

I will be releasing the 1968 version about the same time as Missionbug Releases his Colonial one.

I think both of you are doing maps that will be widely used by many
for a long time to come, great stuff !!! Smile

Deutschmark

Hello all, I've now released the final of the South Vietnam colonial period map in a new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=166&t=32972

This effectively brings this WIP thread to a close.

Ok Thank you guys for your great works. Big Grin
Am going to lock this thread but levee it here for others to look at.

Deutschmark
Thread Closed