Thread Closed

South Vietnam WIP

The Textures and the Airfields look freakin Fantastic. Big Grin :o Smile

Nice to see the transition of landscape happening for you. I always think a blended transition is very difficult to get right. Takes a lot of frigging around with.

You have achieved this greatly.

Nice to see one another map project by the ghost map maker come alive.

When you've got this completed I'll give you Cambodia and Vietnam.

for others I made these maps for WW2 and up until 1956.

Once you have done this map as a supurb work then Cambodia and Vietnam Will fall in to place easily.
That map is 100 scale too.

In regards to google textures I would do the same take a shot that looks right not to close not to far away then experiment with the shot with a couple of textures each to see what you end up with.

I have some very detailed maps of some areas of vietnam from the Universty of Texas. US Army maps around 1960 ish

Pacificwrecks.com has some settings of latitude and longitude of airfields in Vietnam. Search by country in the airfields section. There are no pictures just locations.

CHEERS

Kirby

Looking at the pics you've posted bring back a few memories.
You have the basic "look" of "The 'Nam" nailed down. The only
thing I could suggest would be about textures, in particular,
the red color of the open ground(dirt). The "red tint" varied
some what from area to area, but overall still red. Your map
is looking great. Thanks.

Yes, very nice indeed. Lookin' forward to this.

Thanks for the comments everyone I appreciate them.

Found your post EasyRider thanks for that it helps considerably.

Fabianfred, I will have a go with the way you suggest, not sure how well I'll manage though.

Kirby, glad you like it so far. Thanks very much for the start map, it made getting going so much easier, hope I do it justice.

Bwf., the textures I'm using at the moment are very few I hope to add to these as I go on. There seems to be such a huge variety of colour in the Vietmanese landscape hopefully I'll find the right balance as I get more into the project.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :wink:

Very nice map! na dyes the frech colonial wars and the very begguining of the vietnam war scenarios can be simulated now. NO NEED for phantoms II, Intruders or Migs 17 / 21... People don't seam to realize that fighting strated in 1947 in Viet Nam and frech indo-china..

Nice, that seems to be coming along very well 8)

Howdy all,

Interesting project!

A good friend of mine whom I've flown online with in other sims for a few years has some personal experience with that area, having spent some time there about 40 years ago during the conflict that was in the news back then. Showed this thread to him since as a matter of fact he's previously made a very nice freeware scenery package for Phu Bai for Microsoft FS2004, complete with terminal building and revetments, lots of other touches, etc.

He doesn't fly IL2 but passed this along: "If you post there, and the creator is serious about maintaining the French Colonial (and Japanese) WWII period only look, you can do him a favor and note that Phu Bai as a real airport only took on it's existence in the '60's and that the "classic" terminal building was built in '66 and in use as such until a few of years ago. The tower was built around as the passenger terminal and a new tower erected in '05 just south of the old one."

Good luck with your project and thanks for your efforts!

Erich aka Stoopy

This map opens a new hole scenario even the possibility of geting Early helicopters like the Sikorsky H 19 wich the French used for both transport and as gun ship. The good news are than there are many WW2 planes wich where used in this conflict, some of them are missing like the F8F Bearcat but most of the planes wich flew there are covered. I really hope forward to this new scenario!

[Image: h34_003.jpg]

[Image: h19_001.jpg]

Wouldnt it be awsome to fly one of thoose? (Specially while listening to Creedence, even when it does not belong to the french indo china war era)

Cheers! Smile

Thanks for the information about Phu Bai Stoopy. The two airfields I used were to test the building process, I still need to figure out how to accurately add places and airfields to the map so these were put roughly into place because I could add them visually. I was working on the theory that if they were here now then they could have been started during the colonial period and developed further during the sixties. I still need to do a lot of research on exactly which airfields were used during the colonial period and into the fifties.

Helicopters would be nice Loht773 but they are probably beyond the bounds of the sim, but in time who knows, it amazes me what people have managed to bring to the sim so far.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

It's looking really good, M8 - as has been said, you've captured the look and colour of Vietnam really well Big Grin

If you're aiming for a map specific to the French Colonial era, you'll need to do some research on airfields. As Stoopy pointed out, Phu Bai was built by the Americans - Cam Ranh (south of Nha Trang) is another example.

Does your map cover as far south as Saigon and the Delta? I'd like to be able to strafe my ex-landlord's apartment :lol:

Hawkers Big Grin

Useful links for you

First up from www.pacificwrecks.com

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/airfields/v...index.html

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/vietnam.html

Then some great highly detailed maps from the University of Texas

You'll see these maps are from 1954+. The North Vietnam map the one that I am interested in has Nord Vietnam as the title.
Really good references.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/indoc..._thailand/

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

Thanks very much for the links Kirby I'll take a look at them, ripping my hair out at the moment trying to figure out how to make rivers on the map and trying to figure out how to take an image from google showing the position of cities and roads and relate it to the map.

All the best, Pete. :?

With help from the community I now have rivers, thank you very much guys, couldn't have got here without your help

[Image: Vietnamriver1.jpg]

[Image: Vietnamriver2.jpg]

The water here is just a few practice lengths, now the hard work begins mapping all the water courses and
leveling the river banks, might take a while.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Some of Central Vietnam makes it into my Thailand map...which is 3:4 scale...what scale is this?

Not sure about the scale I'm afraid Fabianfred, to be honest I hadn't given it much thought, too busy playing with textures and trying to make rivers and airfields.

Farang65 (Kirby) uploaded a number of maps ready made for the community to texture and populate, his thread says they are 100 pixal size, whatever that equates to I'm not sure, just getting into this map making thingy :???:

I could do to find out because I need to find a way of scaling images from Google so I know there position on the map.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :wink:
Thread Closed