Thread Closed

South Vietnam WIP

I have made 4 maps of Indo China.

This project that Mission Bug is working on is just one of them.

The scale for all my Indo China maps are

1 pixal = 100 kilometres.

I presume that this is 1:1 yes.

Fred your Thai map would be

1 pixal = 75 kilometres yes? as it is 3/4 scale.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

Hello all, just a short update showing progress with the map.

The first shot shows the ed_m02 showing the borders and neighbouring countries as they are today.

The text for Laos and Thailand is not shown in this shot but appears above French Indochina.

[Image: ed_m02forVietnam.jpg]

I've made all the rivers wide enough so they are all navigatable, not strictly accurate but essential
for anyone building a campaign for the map as it allows all the vessels in the FMB to be utilised,
especialy all the smaller craft such as the fishing vessels and torpedo boats.

I am still in the process of leveling the rivers so nothing appears to be up in the air, a very tedious process.

In the following two shots you see a Carrier heading up the river from the sea to Saigon, an airfield in the background.

[Image: CarriertoSaigon1.jpg]

[Image: CarriertoSaigon2.jpg]

In these shots a freighter winds its way from the sea to the end of a river in the
upper part of the map near to what is Da Nang.

[Image: Freighterontheriver.jpg]

[Image: Freighterontheriver4.jpg]

Progress is slow at the moment, tried adding roads in ther same way as the rivers by painting them
but they end up in all sorts of odd places so I may have to do this the hard way in the map builder.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

The terrain looks beautifull. I've been hoping to see an update on this one. Thanks for your hard work. It looks great. Big Grin

Glad you like it so far bombsaway, not sure when it will be finished though.

All the best, Pete. Big Grin

Hello there,

thanks very much for your tremendous work! It's really getting nicely done. But, only one little, tiny suggestion:
Please, don't make the textures too photo-realistic as it does not blend nicely with the whole environment of
the IL-2 engine - well, that's what I'm feeling and it reminds me of too much of MS Flight Simulator series, a
thing that Maddox great achievement of the last decade does not deserve - it's w a y better!!!

And do not forget, that if you want your map and hard work being used to simulate the so called "guerre d'indochine",
as French people call their disastrous adventure (two of my granduncles died over there!), then you should extend
your map to north Vietnam (Hanoi and of course the famous Dien Bien Phu!).

Really great work, mate, congratulations.

Cheers,

JJRouss

Beautiful, keep up the good work.

Hello JJRouss, the textures used at the moment were images from Google and were an experiment to see if I could create a texture for use in the map that could be used to cover most of it while I do more research and learning etc. Once I've finished doing the rivers I will be looking closer at the textures, for the moment they give the map some colour and a feel of the region, at least I think so. Your right about the area covered, most of the combat operations were conducted up north during the colonial period, in particular the conflict with the Japanese featured in one of my campaigns for this area done on fabianfreds Thai map, and later the operations at Dien Bien Phu. The map I am using was uploaded as a start up map by Ferang65 so this is the reason for the area covered here, I am cutting my teeth on this so to speak, the North may come later if I ever manage to complete this particular project.

I am still very much on a learning curve at the moment. :???:

Wishing you all the best, Pete. Big Grin

Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

Glad you like it Loht773.

This is just a little update for anyone who is following the progress with this map.

I've now done the rivers, they are all navigatable and all have been flattend so there are no floating plates.

These shots show me taking a rather leisurley evening cruise, cold beer in hand after finishing
the rather tedious process of levelling the waterways.

[Image: Eveningcruise1.jpg]

[Image: Eveningcruise2.jpg]

For anyone who might want to try the map here is the link to my 4shared account.

http://www.4shared.com/file/137816055/7 ... apWIP.html

Could someone please let me know if the map loads ok, it is rather rough yet and the textures
in the folder are experiments, only a few will be found on the map. There are three active airfields, the one at Da nang can only be used from one direction for certain aircraft, the hill gets in the way. No seaplane landing places as yet, hopefully now the rivers are done I can progress with roads and populating.

Feel free to use it as you will.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. 8)

Thank you very much!! Big Grin I've been hoping you would put it up for testing. Downloading now. Cant wait to get it installed and fly over it.
Will report back soon.

You forgot to put the load.ini in your map folder. Wont load without it. Big Grin

Nice to see a starter map come of age.

I'll send you a link for the others this week end.

What is the average pixal length of your rivers?

Cheers

Kirby

Lamphun

Thailand

Hey Mission_bug

Your map loaded right up for me NP
I took a quick flight near Da Nang,I have been following your map progress and am glad to see it coming together.
Thank you for the map and I look forward to it's development.

Easy

[Image: il2fb2009-10-0519-10-30-14.jpg]

Hello bombsaway, the load.ini is in the folder PS_South_VietNam which as far as I'm aware is where it should be, all you should need to do is add the line PS_South_VietNam PS_South_VietNam/load.ini to the all.ini and you should be good to go.
There are no objects on the map that should cause any problems for you apart from the airfield blank plates that should be in your modded game. I uploaded it just to check the main parts are in the right place and as you see Easy has had no problems.

Kirby, looking forward to the other starter maps you intend to upload it may be some time before I get around to doing anything on them though as I intend to stick with this map for the time being. The rivers were drawn at 5 pixel I think and blured a couple of times, my drawing needs to improve though as you will see. I found that at 3 pixel not all areas were navigatable so enlarged them. The down side to that is they may appear way out of proportion but I was trying to make the map mission builder freindly so small gunboats and other similar vessels could move freely, I used the aircraft carrier in the shots because it gave me the chance to follow the vessel along the rivers course to ensure there was no problems.

EasyRider, glad to know you had no problems loading, looks like I've got the right files where they should be. Thanks very much for the help with the invisible plates I have your coloured version set in the map builder and the Cannon blanks in the main game they make things so much easier allowing just plain strips to be put in without the need for the runway plates in the map builder.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Hi Pete,

Everything loads up fine with the South Vietnam map.

It looks really good.

At times it is picture perfect.

I like the airfields alot.

When I get back from English camp trips I'll have a play on the rivers etc.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun
Thread Closed