[MOD] Hawaian islands map (beta) edit

fabianfred Wrote:I made a Pearl harbor attack mission for this map..... which was copied from my old mission on the default map...

it uses ships from the shippack2 ...so if you do not have that installed....open the mission in the FMB first..then save....and this will strip off all the extra stuff not on your install from the mission file...
I can't handle the complex installation of the Shippack, so I followed your advice ...and your Mission without that MOD works GREAT!!

fabianfred Wrote:I believe Saburo Sakai is also working on a more historically accurate mission too
Looking forward to that!

fabianfred Wrote:This is only for very fast computers or you'll get a slide-show
True! Slide show...with my Rig:
Dual core E6700 Cpu
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
BFG 8800GTX w/768MB Graphics card
Windows VISTA 32bit

So...I opened your mission in FMB, deleted about half the flights (Leaving still a LOT of Japanese acft!!!)

fabianfred Wrote:...you are pilot of a D3A and take=off from Akagi to attack with the second wave...so put it on auto pilot and watch the first wave go in....

I watched...VERY impressive...better than the Hollywood movie "Pearl Harbor" (which sucked)!!!

Then, in FMB, I changed the mission to put myself into one of the two P40's you had placed at the airfield at Wahiawa (actually, the real WWII P40's were farther North, on the coast, at an auxiliary field at Haleiwa).

GREAT FUN taking off and trying to bring down just one or two Japs, against overwhelming Odds, just as Welch and Taylor did on Dec 7th.

Thanks Saburo and Fred for the Map and Mission!!!!

(Speaking of P40's and WWII fighter pilot Aces)

S!!!
[Image: 1941Salute.gif]

Hi Saburo, I got it wkg Big Grin after a reinstall w/ a new D2Drive game and the HSFX Mod.
I threw all the 3dos from the objects packs right into the ObjectsMap folder. No worries.
Only thing I had to do accd'g to FMB log was to copy & rename Compans_BoB_fields_1.tga to bob_fields_1.tga since I didn't have it
and change scale on these 3:

LowLand0 = land/summer/rom_fields_LowLand2.tga,-2
LowLand1 = land/summer/rom_fields_LowLand3.tga,-2
Mount2 = Italy_DF/land/summer/fields_v2.tga,-2

You did a beautiful job on this map!

Hi folks,

please do not forget to test also the other Islands and look out for bugs. Apparently the oahu island is working well. By the way: All airfields were made representing the status of Dec 1941. To see more screenshots please visit: viewtopic.php?t=16096

The map represents the hawaiian island chain from big island in the east to Nihue in the west. The islands are all fully populated. Therefore it takes some time to load it in the FMB. I populated also the smaller islands because I feel that it is an immersion killer first to fly over populated areas like oahu and then to enter the airspace over kauai or nihue and everything you see is underpopulated areas full of sand and trees and grass, although there should be some villages and even cities. So it pays out to take a fast plane and fly for example from the still civillian airfield John Rodgers (Honolulu airfield) to Hilo Airport on Big Island. I hid lots of easter eggs spread over the islands, so there is lots to see:

1) fortifications (also old ones), most of them over Oahu of course (historical correct)
2) light towers (historical correct)
3) ruins of churches from missionary times (historical correct)
4) some reminiscence villages of the natives (historical correct)
5) old palast buildings from the former king of hawaii (almost historical correct)
6) china gardens
7) radar stations
8) touristic areas (big hotel complexes)
9) all airfields are almost historical correct
10) populated beaches (look for them)
11) the old historical swimming pool were Johnny Weissm

Looking forward to doing some sight-seeing. I did the same with Canon's Channel map. There's more to Flight simming than just combat.

Hi Doolittle81, Would you mind posting that mission that you changed here?

I tried to open ff's in FMB & gave up after 5 min.

Thanks a lot,

Fly!

Fly! Wrote:Hi Doolittle81, Would you mind posting that mission that you changed here?

Here you go. File names self-explanatory. Of course, once you open them in FMB, you can modify as you see fit.

These take about 1min 50 seconds or so to load in FMB...for me.

There's LOTS going on, including submarine activity apparently. I also added one extra static camera, low level, just to watch the show; thinking of adding others.

http://members.cox.net/doolittle80/pearl...lUSP40.mis
http://members.cox.net/doolittle80/pearl...properties

http://members.cox.net/doolittle80/pearl...rStart.mis
http://members.cox.net/doolittle80/pearl...properties

Let me know if they work for you.

Tora Tora Tora!!!

Thanks a lot Dolittle 4 posting these. The immersion is heavy! Even the flight trainer appearing on the way to the target.

I'll have to pare them down a lot more though to get anywhere near playable fps.
Thanks again 4 your time Big Grin

FLY!

I had to do the same...today I further pared down the one I sent you by a Bunch. Once the action starts over Pearl/Ford island, it's still a slide show without such paring down. I can now fly and fight with acceptable FPS. Of course, i should probably crank down my graphic settings as well...Will do if necessary.

I've pared my version of the Mission down a LOT, but still there are still many more Japs than my one little P40 can handle. I seldom "win". It's a real achievement if I get 2 kills and manage to just survive long enough, engine burning, deadsticking it down on an airfield somewhere.

It is a very immersive Mission and Map!!! Makes one really appreciate what Welch and Turner did that day! Guts!

Fly! Wrote:Hi Saburo, I got it wkg Big Grin after a reinstall w/ a new D2Drive game and the HSFX Mod.
I threw all the 3dos from the objects packs right into the ObjectsMap folder. No worries.
Only thing I had to do accd'g to FMB log was to copy & rename Compans_BoB_fields_1.tga to bob_fields_1.tga since I didn't have it
and change scale on these 3:

LowLand0 = land/summer/rom_fields_LowLand2.tga,-2
LowLand1 = land/summer/rom_fields_LowLand3.tga,-2
Mount2 = Italy_DF/land/summer/fields_v2.tga,-2

You did a beautiful job on this map!

This map for me wouldn't load into FMb with HSFX....how did you change the scale on those tgas?

I don't know why you guys are getting a slide-show..... I only have a 2 year old rig...
CoreDuo E6850 3.0Ghz...3 gb RAM..... 8800 GTS 320mb.... winXP...runs OK for me

There are moving destroyers from the shippack which try to leave the harbour....subs in the sea North are for the returning a/c to crash into...instead of leaving them to land...to free up some airspace for the second wave.

QMT utility is good for reducing each flight by a few a/c (or adding more....lol)

Of course the P40's only come onto the scene during the second wave attack....so if you fly them...since il2 doesn't allow the player to have a delayed start ...you get involved too soon....(for historical accuracy)

There is a Hawk taking-off right at the start too but it gets swamped by the Zeros

The map is stunning! I can't believe that the PanAm fields are there too, and well done, I might add! Too bad we don't have the Sikorsky S-43 and Boeing 314 to go with it!

well i dont look at the fps but i can say that with the first wave attack on the map i am building, i have over 100 aircraft attacking ford and sorroundings, i admit that with this many planes i do get some stuttering during the attack when looking towards the mainland city, but nothing like a slideshow, and i am running a single core amd64 with 2 gig ddr400 and an nvidia 9600gt/hdmi card. game settings are perfect with a couple of enhancements to the conf.ini.

I'll try the Full Up fabianfred mission again. Is it recommended that I lower my graphics settings to help with the FPS? I normally/always run with Graphics settings at max...Perfect, Excellent High, etc etc ....1920X1200 resolution

My rig is similar to fabianfred's...weaker in cpu, better in terms of Graphics Card

My Rig:
Dual core E6700 Cpu 2.66GHz
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
BFG 8800GTX w/768MB Graphics card
Windows VISTA 32bit

When i made this mission on the default map and using my old rig I would run it at half speed (the game)...not wanting to cut down on any flights.
This one has about 170 a/c in the first wave and 50+ in the second...

Now here is a thought........IRL what happened........ was the second wave made up of returned and rearmed and refuelled first wave a/c?
Perhaps we should stretch the mission out to make it more realistic in this way......

Zuti's new version of his MDS will have refuel and rearm and this can be done on carriers too!!

At 6 a.m., the first attack wave of 183 Japanese planes takes off from the carriers located 230 miles north of Oahu and attacks at 07:53

Near Oahu - At 7:15 a.m., a second attack wave of 167 planes takes off from the Japanese carriers and attacks at 08:40

The second wave was not made up from elements of the first wave.

Hmmm, 280 downloads, i was hoping for a tad more feedback Confusedhock: