Thread Closed

IL-2 Guide for Computers, Benchmarking, Optimizing, Tweaking

my computer runs amazingly with vista and 7, 16xQ AA and 16xAF. never did have a problem with it.

Multi core Utilization-part 1

CPUs and GPUs all have at least one processing core. A core is an area for processing a program through the computer chip. Some chips only have one core. Two, three, four, and more are possible in a computer chip.

Using Multi Core is something to try, though many IL-2 users are best served by assigning IL-2 to run in a single core other than core #1. Other IL-2 lovers are seeing good improvements with IL-2 operating in two cores, preferabley other than core #1.

IL-2 can be set to run through two CPU cores. For my simulation, this was made practical with the use of nHancer add-on to nVidia. ATI users might find this post interesting, but of course you may skip it and go to the next. Recommended is that everyone examin my whole topic for much useful information. More ATI information is further in the topic and more will be adding in the future. Big Grin

The simulation runs in the first core by the factory setting which it shares with your Operating System, hence the decrease in allowable graphics settings and performance. Commanding IL-2 to run in two cores, or at least a different core, will free processing power and result in your being able to increase visual quality and overall IL-2 performance.

The proof came for me when I went from only one or a few threads in my first CPU, according to Task Manager-Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor, to 18-28 threads in both cores. This is obviously a multiplying factor of severalfold. Now my graphics settings are set by me above the NVIDIA stock available ones-a super high increase! The visual improvement is stunning. Some scenes look exactly like real life. I still have good performance, no mouse delay, and no joystick delay. My Frames Per Second is satisfactory in the most demanding situations.

Note: Tri Core, Quad Core, and newer chips with even more cores than that-beginning in 2010-might run best with different core assignment. For example, many Quad Core users mention that they run IL-2 very well in only one core. Some are assigning IL-2 to run in the four core alone. All other programs such as TeamSpeak which they use with IL-2 are being assigned to a different core than IL-2. This increases the performance of the simulation.

Multi Core Utilization-part 2 If you have Dual Core, Tri-Core, or Quad Core (or more core :lolSmile, then you have options to consider. If you want the greatness, then consider graphics NVIDIA SLI technology or ATI Crossfire multi core graphics cards. If you have a more modest rig, then optimize now and save money for Storm of War requirements.

ProcessAffinityMask Core Assignments

By default, IL-2 comes with ;ProcessAffinityMask=1, which allow the operating system to determine which core or cores will be the center of IL-2 processing. If you select a core for IL-2 to be processed other than the first core shared by the Operating System, then IL-2 will have fewer stutters. Please do not underestimate this importance. Some systems will see much improvement in smoothness of IL-2 operation with the simlulation being processed in a different core than the Operating System.

In the command lines of the conf.ini file:

ProcessAffinityMask= (remove the semicolon ";" to activate the command line...)

=1 - core 0 (the first core)
=2 - core 1 [size=150][color=yellow]

Multi Core Utilization-part 3

NVIDIA Control Panel-Manage 3D Settings Go here. ATI users also go to their Control Panel. Set Threaded Optimization to ON. If it is adjustable, then set it to maximum. Also, look for Mult-core Utilization, or similar name-if there is one, and click it to ON. Fly in IL-2 and see if there is improvement. Keep the settings only if this is clear or your intend to keep your nHancer if you see better results later. More things are coming, so hang tight. Smile The following in this post only applies with nHancer enthusiasts:

nHancer:

nHancer Control Interface Here you will see the Application box where you click il2set.exe. Next, you will make a profile. By the way, you can change the name of a Profile by standard right clicking on the activated Profile. Click the Compatibility tab. If you decide to use or try OpenGL, then put a check in the box at OpenGL Control. Near it is the Multithreading On box-put a check there. In the same Compatibility box, go to CPU Multicore Support to check the box. ( You will eventually change the processaffinitymask command in the conf.ini file of IL-2 )

Now to force IL-2 to utilize Threaded Optimization in Multicore Support, make an executable profile for both il2fb.exe and il2set.exe. ( Both files will be executables )
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The reason for these two executable files in one Profile is this:
Programs such as nHancer do not always activate and process quickly, and this can very from time to time, as most of us know. The il2fb.exe executable file will cause nHancer to activate your Profile that you created and have plenty of time to be ready as the il2set.exe of IL-2 applies its graphics settings. The first executable file prepares the nHancer to handle the second executable file which is the critical one. The second executable file ( il2.set.exe is second ) is the next resort if the system still is not ready after the first executable file ( il2fb.exe is first).

IMPORTANT: Any graphics card interface which allows two executable files could need the above technique of allowing the graphics interface Profile to fully activate to prepare for the il2set.exe file.

The amount of data and settings enforcement causes delays which makes some people think that their graphics settings are never going to work, when really they would work if given the chance. The nHancer therefore has a unique ability which solves this problem of the graphics control panel program not being ready in time. Some nVidia and ATI users have made an understandable mistake by concluding that their settings are impossible. Having a couple of executable files fixed this problem here for me. I tested this and it is true with my computer. Perhaps yours is this way, too.

Look at the symbol near the Executables box. Hold your cursor on the symbol for an explanation. Making an Executable Profile will cause your profile settings in nHancer to be used whenever you open IL-2.

If you want to try different Profiles for each copy of IL-2, then I am recommending the executable file with file path. You create two Profiles with two different names and have each Profile designated toward one IL-2 version by making an executable file with file path that is the same for each Profile.

This could be for comparison purposes such as one as OpenGL Profile and the other for DirectX. The profile settings and changes are saved automatically. When you click on an Executable Profile Name, then the settings will be revealed for that profile in the nHancer Control Panel.

You could have one copy of IL-2 for offline OpenGL settings and another for online DirectX settings, for example, and compare the two to see how you like them. Offline OpenGL could be for IL-2 movies or other visually important usage and the online DirectX could be for online performance.

Of course, if you have a great graphics card, try OpenGL settings to the maximum. If you tried thoroughly to use OpenGL and you are yet to be satisfied, then create a Profile for DirectX and give it a name that distinguishes it.

Planning for the Best Results

Since I fly both offline and online, I have experienced something that I recommend. For anyone needing more performance for online combat, I advise DirectX for that if online OpenGL is out your reach.

If you also want another, perhaps offline, copy of IL-2 for perfect water and other visual enhancements, then I recommend a second copy of IL-2 with OpenGL. This could be easier for you than taking several minutes per switching of settings every time you want to transition between OpenGL and DirectX. As a bonus, a second copy of IL-2 for offline could use any mod pack and you'll feel the happiness of adding as much mods content as you want. An offline copy does not need to be a concern with compatibility like an online one.

Among the two most fundamental categories of IL-2 use-offline and online-we see four basic categories of graphics card users:

1) A) ATI owners who only make a some tweaks. This is easy where not much is needed.

B) ATI hobbyists who enjoy the results of tweaking with Catalyst. Pure fun for the guys who want to learn technical things and nice increase of image and performance.

2) A) NVIDIA guys who make some settings. It can be convenient for some and all they want.

B) NVIDIA enthusiasts who like nHancer and see improvements. The biggest improvements seem to generally be possible in this category. Some guys like the nHancer and others won't touch it.

For the sake of clarity in your mind in following posts, focus on the category which most describes what you will be.

I am repeating a few things in this topic for the sake of reminding IL-2 owners. It helps in understanding the connections among issues. As you progress through my technical topic of this Forum, you will notice an increase in the amount of useful information.

Some guys have a system which can handle anything and will only use OpenGL. :Smile) This the ideal to obtain. However, the release of Storm of War will change things. Make the most of what you have until that!

Multi Core Utilization-part4

NVIDIA and nHancer users, and the curious readers...
You can close nHancer for now. Open Windows Task Manager, then run IL-2. If you go inside TM and look at Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor, then you will see IL-2 running in the core or cores of your choosing and with many threads. I went from one or a few threads with IL-2 only running in the first core along Windows, to the dramatic improvement of both cores and 18-22 threads. CAUTION: Increase your settings only gradually-one step at a time. Watch the CPU monitors for signs of danger. Preserve your system! NVIDIA System Monitor has very important features of CPU usage in separate monitors and CPU core temperature for each core. I highly recommend using it in this section to the completion of optimization.

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=...oe&kid=422
Search: Mission4Today, Setup Guides, Optimizing IL-2 for Multi-core CPUs (Article #422 Page 1) by striker-85

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...42843/p/28 Thread started by ReligiousZealot

Well, how far we have progressed!

Is it safe to Overclock?

Yes, only if you are experienced and knowledgeable in computers. I recommend that those with the skills get Liquid Cooling that makes direct contact with the hot spots.

No-don't try overclocking if you don't know how and have much more to be learned and experienced.

My Laptop PC is overclocked within a very safe margin. I also adjusted the bus and other settings to maintain stability. The improvement in IL-2 is significant but small. However, some of the graphic settings that I have would be beyond reach if it weren't for overclocking. I will not post details about overclocking to prevent the inexperienced from literally burning their CPUs and GPUs.

This concludes Section #3. Have you done a thorough research and finished the tasks in this section?

MISSION COMPLETE

With my modest laptop computer, some of my graphic settings are 16 times the default. Return to this Topic to see how you can find your Benchmarking and the following Optimization.

=Caution, you're about to enter a dream-like state of IL-2 simulation!=

Hey, Fireskull. Thanks for the advice. I never thought of hiding the task bar or switching off my screen saver, or ending processes on things I don't need at the time. Any help my rig can get the better. Also, on mine "ProcessAffinityMask=2" (without the ";"), appears to run much smoother. My specs are 2.2 AMD x4, Vista 64, 9800 GT, 8 GB RAM. Patience is rewarded. Thanks again.

*Steppenwolf* Wrote:Hey, Fireskull. Thanks for the advice. I never thought of hiding the task bar or switching off my screen saver, or ending processes on things I don't need at the time. Any help my rig can get the better. Also, on mine "ProcessAffinityMask=2" (without the ";"), appears to run much smoother. My specs are 2.2 AMD x4, Vista 64, 9800 GT, 8 GB RAM. Patience is rewarded. Thanks again.

Very happy I am to help. IL-2 has much potential and you are seeing that. Congradulations on choosing good equipment, but most importantly, making the most of what you have. Please tell others about IL-2, All Aircraft Simulations, and this Topic! I wish you fun flying! Visit again for more useful information in the future. Big Grin

Benchmarking-Defined
The meaning of Benchmarking in the context of IL-2 is the work of discovering, recording, and comparing the demands of IL-2 in your PC as a configuration in order to make later Optimization settings for performance and visual graphics quality which are ideal for your simulation.

Centuries ago, shoemakers began Benchmarking. They would place a foot (Think IL-2) in a bench (Visualize shoe size and dimensions as the most IL-2 potential in a PC, anywhere in the world). The bench would be the absolute largest dimensions of the foot that were possible (Imagine the bench as being compared to the platform you use to analyze the information, such as Windows Task Manager which measures it). The shoemaker would mark the foot in the bench while recording basic dimensions (This is you running IL-2 while taking note of the results in Windows Task Manager-Benchmarking begins). He would make basic markings then remove the foot (You close IL-2 for the first time). With a few more markings and recording dimensions, he would begin cutting the leather or whatever material (Here is when you begin to make your first settings in the PC and IL-2 Benchmarking Final Stage). After he had the shoe basically formed, he might have the client slip a foot into it and make adjustments. The customer removes the foot. (The Testing Phase is here in IL-2-Optimization begins). Next, he would seal the seams and add dies (These are your settings in the graphics card). To be sure that the client would be happy, the shoemaker would give the pair of shoes to the customer for his approval (The Final Testing Phase of IL-2). If approved, then the finishing materials would be applied (Symbolic of your final settings-Optimization Final Stage). The shoes would be delivered to the client (You restart Windows and IL-2 with all the applied settings in anticipation of a beautiful Optimization).

Benchmarking-General Methods
One of four fundamental categories of procedure can be done as Benchmarking your IL-2 within a PC:

Estimation-Make a comparison guess of what performance and visual quality can be achieved in relation to the success of others who have a similar PC. Like a shoemaker just eyeing the foot, then making the shoes. This is risky but cheap in labor.

Copy-Compare your PC with other ones who have good settings, find somebody who has a PC at least close to yours, and apply those settings. If accomplished, this would be by far the quickest and easiest method of Benchmarking which is among the reasonable ones. The challenge here is finding someone with a very similar PC (CPU, GPU, graphics drivers, etc.). Like telling the shoemaker that your sibling, even twin, has the same foot size as you. Since, he knows the family, he would simply use your brother's dimensions.

Qualitative-This is the comparison of actions in Benchmarking by quality results-using visual aids, instructions, and simple tools toward an imagined ideal. This method is within the potential of most users of IL-2. Though requiring some patience and willingness to learn, it is feasible for those who set their mind to it. The probability of acquiring optimal settings is increased over the previous two methods, however still not certain. Think of this as like the shoemaker being shown other shoes that the client likes and owns, the customer tells him what quality of shoe that he wants, and gives him a few details and instructions. The shoemaker quarantees his work and promises a remake if it doesn't satisfy the client.

Quantitative-The user analyzes the changing state of performance revealed in numbers, comparing these results of actions toward a goal. This is almost certain to achieve optimum performance and the desired graphics look of IL-2 for the trained and experienced PC user. Some patient IL-2 users could progress in this. Exact recording of some of the information is crucial with this method. One could compare this to putting your foot into the bench of a Master Shoemaker and letting the trade smith complete his work in all its glorious detail.

Benchmarking***Preparation and Staging Techniques

#1) Research preparation will actually save time, Benchmarking and Optimizing made easier-and you'll be happier.
#2) Planning to know your direction will guide you to keep the progress in order. I recommend a flowchart.
#3) Documentation will keep a record for easy comparison and future reference.
#4) Testing with practical tools and methods is the only efficient way.

Before you go further, open Fraps and run IL-2 in a mission with plenty of activity, clouds, and nearby objects. Use the same mission and flight path for all following tests. The sample track called "The Black Death" has become the standared among IL-2 users for comparing and communicating. Take note of the Frames Per Second for a few minutes and record it for future reference. If this is below 20 FPS, then that is like wearing very tight shoes which are too small. For me, 30 FPS can be adequate in missions of little demand. If I need no stuttering, then some of the views don't have high enough FPS. Rates above 40 are good. FPS of 50 or more is excellent. In some scenes, I get FPS of 60, 70, or more. Some guys have a rig and settings that have these as their lower numbers! Regardless, everyone reading this can greatly improve the Frames Per Second in IL-2.

In this Preparation for Benchmarking, I will help you to get familiar with basic technical things and clarify common misunderstandings. Feel free to take a peek at IL-2 and hardware specifications as you go through preparation because this is the nature of it. It is like the shoemaker getting all his tools and information in order before beginning the tasks of making a shoe.

First, Benchmarking reveals the general capabilities of your computer for processing IL-2: Benchmarking is the result of Basic Setup. As a clarification, when we see a review on a game and/or hardware that gives Frames Per Second and other Benchmarking numbers, many organizations are doing the Benchmarking tests with less than highest settings. For example, though a particular graphics card might be capable of Anti-aliasing setting of 32x, much lower setting is typical. Therefore, we can not necessarily say that Benchmarking is the highest settings, which can confuse people at first. Those groups make the basic settings of setup and compare the FPS. Sometimes the FPS is the only number involved, though a few others might be considered. Good to know, huh?

Second, Optimization is making settings to reveal the extent and limits of graphic processing types for your IL-2 in your PC, mainly using the graphics card control panel. This is made clear in the Control Panel by the names of graphic setting types and any number value which might be applied. Numbers, or values, have more importance here than the previous stage.

Third, Tweaking is potentially the last phase if more improvements are needed and is mainly centered in conf.ini file. Sometimes this has been previously optimized and only needs to be studied to verify that all is well. The conf.ini file is ultimately about number values as the computer reads it. You could say that it is all about numbers to our eyes.

Expect all phases to be repeated after a graphics driver update.

Benchmarking Preparation Phase

Both ATI and NVIDIA owners can learn from this, though ATI users may just wish to skim over it lightly. NVIDIA users: You gotta see this!

More useful ATI and NVIDIA information in this tech topic! Keep reading for powerful understanding of basic IL-2 issues in your computer.

Benchmarking will be the Setup of the computer, IL-2, and whatever enhancement device that you use. (NOTE: The Benchmarking is not the Optimization Stage-LATER.)

In the following posts is the structure of Benchmarking that I use. If you have examined and done all the following instructions, then you are ready for these:

#1 Profile in nHancer Continue to read right here if you are an nHancer user or are interested in learning about it. The nHancer is an NVIDIA based program. Non-nHancer information is a little further in this computer/IL-2 tech help topic. There are instructions and information for both nHancer users and nonusers in here.

You must find the impact of IL-2 in your PC. Seeing if you can utilize multicore and multithreading is like the shoemaker placing the foot into the bench to first get basic dimensions. You need to first make an nHancer profile. Here begins your first benchmarking tasks.

Open nHancer. In the nHancer interface you should see a box with the label "Application" at the top. Listed are all the applications that come with your version of nHancer. You can add more if you need by clicking "Create new profile" page symbol near the top with the yellow sun light in its corner. You should see IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles and probably il2set.exe, as well. If you don't have il2set.exe, then make one-exactly il2set.exe-into the Application listing.

I want to let you know at the start of using nHancer that you must have executable files. Further, it is crucial that you make executable files in the Executables box with file path to the profile. This will send your nHancer settings to the appropriate place and enforce your settings to overide anything that existed previously, even regarding factory parameters. Yes, this file path will generally allow the over-ride of Vista, and other OS, protocal. However, Vista will take control in areas where it needs to do so in order to maintain operation and stability, such as using any or all cores if necessary. If you have cleared the way as instructed in previous sections of this Topic, then you probably have allowed plenty of room for your Operating System to comply with your demands. Here is where many fail, but you will excel! This is absolutely the key secret to success with nHancer and IL-2. You are the master in the central control center of nHancer. Take sure-grip command of it!

Okay, so the name in the Application box is the name of your profile. What an il2set.exe Executable profile does for you is that nHancer will be able to make a connection among itself, IL-2, NVIDIA, and your PC. Essentially, il2set.exe file is where your graphics settings are started after you click to open IL-2. Note the difference between il2fb.exe in contrast to il2set.exe: The il2fb.exe is where IL-2 is started, however, graphics in IL-2 starts in the il2set.exe file. The il2set.exe is like a door: Opening and controlling this file in IL-2 is critical to Optimization. nHancer needs to know the file paths in order for you to control all this. Here is where the line is drawn across Optimization and an only imagined one: File Path.

Make sure that you have il2set.exe in the Application box for the sake of clarity. You can make a different profile in the Application box if you want and build from there. (See instructions earlier) Click on the il2set.exe or other profile name in the Application box to designate it for changes and additions. Next, click the folder symbol with the sun light near the Executables box to name an executable file/folder including its path to the profile. (Do not confuse this with the plain "Add an executable file to the profile" symbol.) This does two great things. First, it causes a bunch of PC optimizations to be activated that overide your PC systems and IL-2 settings. Second, you can have more than one version of IL-2: Each with very different settings and conveniently configured. The unique settings of each will be activated each time that you open one of the versions of IL-2.

For example, I have one profile with file path to my online version of IL-2 which is set a little more for performance. A second IL-2 copy with mods for offline use has higher visual graphics settings with a little sacrifice of performance, which I use to make movies and play offline with a friend of mine. You can also turn the profile on manually by checking the box for that. This is useful if you only have and want one IL-2, but would like to switch on settings that you have in nHancer for a certain change of circumstances. OFF for online flying and ON for offline missions, for example.

Benchmarking Preparation Phase

Both ATI and nVIDIA users can benefit from reading this, though the focus is mainly on nVIDIA/nHancer at this point. More ATI focused information is found further in this topic. Big Grin

#2 Multicore Utilization

Now, you should have il2set.exe as the Executable file with its file path in the Executables box (This is named and appears in the Executables box when you click the il2set.exe, or other designated profile name, in the Application box of nHancer.). This file path should have been set in the Executable to the il2set.exe file in the IL-2 version that you want to enhance.

Click the profile name in the Application box to begin making settings. Click the Compatibility tab of the box for optimization (right side of the interface in my nHancer). Scroll down Compatibility and check the box for:

CPU Multi Core support
Note that if you run in OpenGL, then this is enforced automatically. If you run DirectX, then this setting only is enforced if you have also previously checked the box Profile can be activated manually and actually do activate the Profile manually.

Open or explore your main IL-2 folder. Seek your conf.ini file. Open it and go to the ;processaffinitymask= command line. Delete the ; to uncomment it, if you want your Operating System to choose where processing is to take place among multiple cores. Note that no matter what you do, the OS can place processing of IL-2 where it needs it. Really, the best we can do is request our preference and it will try to comply if it can. My IL-2 used to run in only the default first core. Now the simulation runs in both cores, the way I want it, with processaffinitymask=3. Windows Task Manager Resource Monitor (CPU Usage section) absolutey confirms this-no disputing it. This in turn allows my CPU cores to run full throttle, so to speak, with all the threads that it needs in two cores. It never goes below 18 threads and sometimes runs in the mid-20s of threads. Once, it was at 28 threads! That's a huge improvement over the 1 to 3 threads before I began using nHancer. Windows Task Manager Resource Monitor proves this.

#3 Multi Threaded Utilization
A single thread is an area of a CPU that performs processing and its associated input and output path. A CPU can perform, in some cases, upto hundreds of threads at a time. IL-2 comes with default 1 to a few threads capability. Everybody reading this can increase the threads above the default and see noticable improvements. The nHancer has a convenient way of explaining the method and using it with IL-2.

Multi Threading in OpenGL
Your nHancer program will enforce multi threading. I feel for you about this getting repetitive, however, Windows Task Manager Resource Monitor reveals that this is true.

Make sure to have your profile designated by clicking the name of your profile in the Application box. In the nHancer interface to the right, click the Compatibility tab. Scroll to OpenGL Control. With this feature, as the name indicates, you begin to take control of OpenGL features in regard to IL-2. Put a check in the box for Multi threading ON. I also have Error reporting Enabled, nearby-while you are there.

Multi Threading in DirectX
This will occur if you enable Prerendered Frames. The graphics frames will be sent to the CPU for preprocessing before being sent to the GPU for final processing. For the CPU to do this, it will automatically open more threads to accomplish the tasks that you command. Yes, Windows Task Manager Resource Monitor proves it to be happening. All this is done at the speed of electricity, so don't worry about any lag from this.

Click on the Optimizations tab at the right of the nHancer interface and scroll to Prerender Limit. I set mine to 8, but if you have a less capable PC than mine, then try a lower number at first. You can easily increase it later.
Thread Closed