Thread Closed

IL-2 Guide for Computers, Benchmarking, Optimizing, Tweaking

I would like to know where Do I set the AA quality? nVidia has settings for every game but my current ATI has only universal settings...

Yes, it is exciting, isn't it. Big Grin

This topic is improved by me several times per week and new additions will come soon. Return for more information!

Thanks for your support.

Many thanks for your time in accumulating , testing, and posting this information.

Certainly a detailed review for us noobs of the aspects of their
computer contents and how to easily access same.

How else would people find out but for your contribution?

~S~ Sir!

Strider

KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:I would like to know where Do I set the AA quality? nVidia has settings for every game but my current ATI has only universal settings...

From the way it sounds, you need the " Overdrive " Central Controal Center. Did you download it from my ATI section?

Fireskull Wrote:
KG64_Cnopicilin Wrote:I would like to know where Do I set the AA quality? nVidia has settings for every game but my current ATI has only universal settings...

From the way it sounds, you need the " Overdrive " Central Controal Center. Did you download it from my ATI section?
I saw only the AMD overdrive.

Cnopicilin,

In your computer, exactly what Intel CPU do you have and precisely what ATI GPU do you have? If you can give me this information, then I can likely help you. Also, if you can give me the exact PC type that you have-model name and number-then this will make my search easier.

Fireskull Wrote:Cnopicilin,

In your computer, exactly what Intel CPU do you have and precisely what ATI GPU do you have? If you can give me this information, then I can likely help you. Also, if you can give me the exact PC type that you have-model name and number-then this will make my search easier.
Acer aspire 5536G
AMD Athlon 64x2 QL-65(2,1Ghz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 - 512 MB, Core: 680 MHz, Memory: 500 MHz, Graphic Memory: DDR2, 8.582.0.0
4Gb RAM
AMD M780G mainboard

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Ace ... 192.0.html

Got it from Acer when my old comp broke its GPU three times in two months. 99% of the time the laptop was in the workshop, I only had it for 1%of time until the GPU broke again.

New Information Posted in the Tech Help Posts of this Topic Big Grin

Especially, browse the last few posts in the technical information section of this topic. A few moments ago, I posted more references.

Cnopicilin, some of the new information is for guys like you. Smile

Fireskull Wrote:New Information Posted in the Tech Help Posts of this Topic Big Grin

Especially, browse the last few posts in the technical information section of this topic. A few moments ago, I posted more references.

Cnopicilin, some of the new information is for guys like you. Smile
Will see the new programs and guides when I come back from work. Thanks Big Grin

Fireskull Wrote:Tip: Always use a screen keyboard for logging a password. Keylogger malware are common at popular websites where there are new postings and pictures to click-on. Keyloggers are usually there without the user knowing it. They record key strokes and then use your password to either transmit data to a hacker or to a malware that will use your password to get in your account(s) or your computer. For extra security, I use screen keyboard for user name as well. If you leave the on-screen keyboard on your screen when you exit, then it will be there with your log-in password box when you want to reaccess your user account.

Thank you Fireskull for posting helpful informations for keeping guys computers running smoothly
but this section is just incorrect .
I would like to let others know about on-screen keyboard so there is no misunderstanding or disappointment . Big Grin

Windows' On-Screen Keyboard app is also logged !! .
Unfortunately, the program provides no defense against software keyloggers.
Windows' On-Screen Keyboard sends information to applications as keystrokes ,
just as though you'd pressed the keys on a keyboard .
So basically whatever you mouse click type by using on-screen keyboard will be recorded
by keylogger if it was quietly installed and running hidden on your machine .
Ooooops !! sorry , still no free lunch 8)

S! HG Tongue

Hello,

Thank you for your contribution.

I use Kaspersky onscreen keyboard which is protected by it's selfdefense. Because of your warning, I posted a clarification in the appropriate post.

Thank you!

Hi Fireskull Big Grin
I remember also Trend Micro PC-cilling used to have their own on-screen keyboard but I don't know
if they had separated on-screen keyboard application from Windows system logged on-screen application .
It would be interesting to find out if Kaspersky was able to completely separate on-screen keyboard
by not being dependent on Windows default system files Tongue
Will look for answer a bit later in the morning .
As it is right now , Windows provided on-screen keyboard is no go to avoid keylogger Big Grin
Thank you for a lot of work you put in to this topic , keep up the good work Tongue

S! HG

taking screen shots of what you are talking about especially the IL2set.exe in the enhancer would explain a lot, I use nhancer and I have a manual profile I call il2.exe using the il2fb.exe from the game, now there is another icon in the game called il2setup, but it's an MFC function. Also there is an executable and a launcher in there. Should you use both?, or just one?..... I'm not sure where you are going with these tweaks, but I only use OpenGL, with perfect settings, the explanation on Dual core use without screen shots is vague, I would never attempt any of that without a reference of what you are talking about, and a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm very afraid some of these guys are going to try these tweaks and not get the results they were hoping for. Your page file explanations are very vague..... you don't explain anything in there. FSX tweak guides are very explicit on what and what not to do on those, you can really hose your computer if you do something wrong there.

You should go back and take screen shots of yourself doing these procedures with helpful explanations and then repost this thread.

Hi, bro

An interesting coincidence is that I have planned to add screen captures later. This was actually planned in my Flowchart several months ago. Not only will I include instructional screen captures, I will add a few in flight ones to demonstrate what I achieve with certain settings. For example, I will highlight water, trees, and antialiasing, since these are among the more common issues in IL-2 user minds. With the screens will be explanation of what I do to achieve this.

One of the things that I want to include is a shot with 3D forests, clean antialiasing lines, and many other facets in a particular shot that I have in mind. The scene is not perfect, but close with acceptable FPS.

The il2fb.exe is enough when an nHancer user has a simple system and maybe a couple IL-2 versions. The il2setup.exe comes in to use when a guy wants to use different Setup instructions for the same version of IL-2. In this case you would use a an Executable file with File Path to connect directly to the IL-2 version in question. This will open the door to use different Profiles for the same IL-2 version.

For example, lets say a person uses HSFX. User has a UP 2.0 and a FusionPack, as well. Okay, one can experiment with different settings of his HSFX version in an easy to understand way. Wanting to compare DirectX with OpenGL, user would make a Profile with Executable File Path for each. User would name the DirectX Profile accordingly, perhaps even indicating that it is intended for the HSFX in the name of it. He would do the same for the OpenGL Profile.

One reason for using the il2setup.exe is to target the file for over ride in a direct way. Among several reasons for the name DirectX is the shorter file paths and direct connection to setup settings. The Windows are DirectX favorable, though OpenGL is included. Getting the best image will be the use of OpenGL but the data is being worked around various issues to achieve this. The best performance will generally be achieved with DirectX which will simplify paths and data cache to achieve better performance, in some ways at the sacrifice of image compared to OpenGL.

All these issues have been resolved in DirectX 11, and Storm of War will maximize these utilities.

Unfortunately, IL-2 was never a perfect match with recent graphics cards, and drivers in particular. The nHancer solves most of these issues for the nVidia owner, but it sometimes requires specifying commands in very certain terms in order to be sure to effect graphics settings in a clear way.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I am considering these issues and will procede in an orderly way. Hopefully, I do not sound too much like logical Mr. Spock! :lol:

Everything here is a Work In Progress. Smile

Some more info on multi-cores, as posted by Agracier on the forum:
This is the way the ProcessAffinityMask value works in IL2.

Actually, using the ProcessAffinityMask and the num bers 1 thru 15, yes that's 15 seperate times, I discovered that IL2-46 modded to 4.09b1m would use what ever number was specified in the conf.ini. Here's how I did it. I ran it in window mode and using AMD's power monitor and task manager I can tell the game to use nearly any combination of cpus.

If ProcessAffinityMask=
;1=core #1,
;2=core #2,
;3=core's 1 & 2
;4=core #3,
;5=core's 1 & 3
;6=core's 2 & 3
;7=ALL core's
;8=core #4,
;9=core's #1 3 & 4
;10=core's 2, 3 & 4
;11= core's #1, 2 & 4
;12=core's 3 & 4,
;14= core's 2, 3, &4
;15 or 0=ALL 4 core's

If it is commented out the OS will decide which cores to use. ie All cores.
"IL-2 is not a ,ultithread application." True
IL-2 only uses 1 core" False.
so PAF....

=1 - core 0
=2 - core 1
=3 - core 0+1
=4 - core 2
=5 - core 0+2
=6 - core 1+2
=7 - core 0+1+2

commented out - all cores

If a core is enabled, it does NOT mean that core will be performing 100% while the other cores that are not enabled do nothing.
The enabled core needs an active thread to perform,
The disabled cores will be assigned tasks by the OS if needed.
There is only one way to switch off cores - the power switch - meaning all or nothing lol.

There was an long thread at SimHQ some time back exploring this(end 2005/beginning of 2006).

a '1' bit will enable the core, a '0' bit disables it.
Actual activity of cores can be checked through TaskManager. Keep in mind in general Windows OS runs hundreds of threads at the same time IL-2 runs.

A substantial part of IL-2 is written in Java which can use in excess of 100 threads. (source: Sun Microsystems) Shift-Tab opens the Java console in-game Yep that's where all those white messages come from.

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000000000 = Decimal 0
Processor affinity is off, and the load is distributed across all available processors.

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000000001 = Decimal 1
Processor 1 selected. The process will only run on processor 1.

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000000010 = Decimal 2
Processor 2 selected. The process will only run on processor 2.

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000000011 = Decimal 3
Processors 1 & 2 selected. The load is distributed across both processors, effectively the same as setting 0 above for Dual cores.

Because 0 puts the load across all processors and 3 puts the load on processor 1 and 2, they are essentially the same thing for Dual core CPUs.

For Quad core CPUs you can use more values:

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000000100 = Decimal 4
Processor 3 selected. The process will only run on processor 3.

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000001000 = Decimal 8
Processor 4 selected. The process will only run on processor 4.

And any combo between 0 and 15, for example:

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000000101 = Decimal 5
Processor 1 and 3 selected. The load is distributed across processor 1 and 3.

Bitmask: 00000000000000000000000000001111 = Decimal 15
Processor 1, 2, 3, and 4 selected. The load is distributed across all processors, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Get the picture?
Thread Closed