texture artist needed to test new idea

Hi all,

I wondering if one of the talented texture artists around here might help me test an idea I have for turning roads into trench lines as a way of building very large trench networks without adding a billion objects to a map. I know how to do this already, but I don't have the GIMP skills to make a nice trenchline texture. If anyone is interested please PM me and I'll send you the file I need to be modified.

Cheers all,

CY6.

Checkyersix Wrote:Hi all,

I wondering if one of the talented texture artists around here might help me test an idea I have for turning roads into trench lines as a way of building very large trench networks without adding a billion objects to a map. I know how to do this already, but I don't have the GIMP skills to make a nice trenchline texture. If anyone is interested please PM me and I'll send you the file I need to be modified.

Cheers all,

CY6.

A wonderful idea and one I can't wait to see in use.

Checkyersix Wrote:I wondering if one of the talented texture artists around here might help me test an idea I have for turning roads into trench lines as a way of building very large trench networks without adding a billion objects to a map. I know how to do this already, but I don't have the GIMP skills to make a nice trenchline texture.

Clever idea, but wouldn't that mean that you could land and take off from trenches?

A similar technique is already being used on the Canvas Knights project to make the WWI Western Front map. The trenches are built up using three tileable ground textures. One with a dense trench network, one with no trenches but dense shellholes, and one with mud and a few shell holes. Have a look on the CK thread.

Ashe

asheshouse Wrote:A similar technique is already being used on the Canvas Knights project to make the WWI Western Front map. The trenches are built up using three tileable ground textures. One with a dense trench network, one with no trenches but dense shellholes, and one with mud and a few shell holes. Have a look on the CK thread.

Ashe

Sounds like a good idea. My notion was intended for Korea, where the trenchlines were razor thin and often ran over mountain crests, which is much harder to do with a ground texture.

More on that soon.

CY6

i suppose there would be a problem. You trenches could be very long, but not be a comlex system because of the way roads are made in IL2. (200meters per parts/fix matrix aand so)

In Korea that wouldn't matter so much - the trenches weren't developed in depth. In WWI we could make the texture more complex (jagged or sawtooth trenches) to give the impression of deep trenchworks. The main idea would be to have something that looks good from the air and spans miles and miles.

Some artists have kindly agreed to help me out, so we'll give it a shot and see how it looks Wink

I'd rather try to mod existing trench 3d objects, roads too thin imho

vpmedia Wrote:I'd rather try to mod existing trench 3d objects, roads too thin imho

The idea is to create trenchlines that span the map, hundreds of miles if necessary, which isn't possible using objects. Mission builders can still build 3d trenchlines at the point of attack.

Checkyersix Wrote:
vpmedia Wrote:I'd rather try to mod existing trench 3d objects, roads too thin imho

The idea is to create trenchlines that span the map, hundreds of miles if necessary, which isn't possible using objects. Mission builders can still build 3d trenchlines at the point of attack.

Would that be needed for Korea? I thought that defensive works, at least for UN Forces, tended to be more along the lines of strongpoints.

In no-man's land that was true, but along the MLR there were more or less continuous trenchlines running from coast to coast. You can still see them on Google Earth.

[Image: koreacolor49.th.jpg]

[Image: frontlinekhumwahvalley.th.jpg]

You've got mail. 8)

Here's a sample of what he was able to do with the texture we developed.

[Image: IL2_Korea_Trench_Texture.jpg]

Looks good 8) . Only shame is that it's 2D only.