1:16 scale Sopwith Camel - Airframe

For the last three months I've been working on a Model Airways 1:16 scale Sopwith Camel kit. It is one of their structural display models pushing 1,000 parts. So far I have the fuselage about 85% done... all I need to do is install the amunition chute, front and rear gun mounts, and the guns.

I purchased their 8 monthly kit deal, which helps force me to take my time on the airplane as I have a tendancy to work through things really fast. The first kit was just a bunch of basswood to construct the main frame. The second kit included a lot of metal pieces for the cockpit including the fuel tanks, oil tank, firewall, air intake/carb/magnitos, control stick, rudder bar, throttle/micture, instrument panel, guns, and seat. Included is also copper wire for fuel tubing and plumbing for the different instrument guages.

I am not quite sure what the third kit will include... I'm guessing the engine and/or tail surfaces. The engine alone has nearly 100 individual metal pieces and the propeller requires laminating, sanding/shaping, and staining, just like a real wooden propeller.

One thing that is really cool about this series of aircrafts offered by Model Airways is the fact you actually rig the controls. When its done you will be able to move the control stick, which will then move the ailerons and elevator. The rudder will also be the same, having connections to the rudder bar.

The aircraft originally comes with gray string to simulate cables, but I've opted for .012" steel cable for authenticity and scale look.

Here are some pictures of my progress thus far.... bear with me, this is my first model of this type! Smile I'm trying to get some experience under my belt so I can purchase my dream model, their Curtiss Jenny, next year!

[Image: 4116729180_f73fa9a50a.jpg]

[Image: 4115960605_c9bf6df048.jpg]

Here is the instrument panel and interior. You can see the air intakes (copper tubes sticking out of the carburetor in the center), rudder bar, and other fuel tubing.

[Image: 4115960181_0793b0fdb9.jpg]
Side view of front fuselage
[Image: IMG_0432.jpg]
Side view showing main fuel tank (large one on the right), auxiliary fuel tank, stick and other interior parts.

[Image: 4115961493_7a3ddc0403.jpg]
close up of main fuel tank and associated plumbing.

[Image: 4115959749_5db070311a.jpg]
View between the instrument panel and oil tank. The front gun mount and amunition container/chute will go in this space.

[Image: 4115962855_778b9dd8ed.jpg]
[Image: 4115961921_44f428a7d2.jpg]
Another view of the cockpit, showing the control stick in the aft position.

[Image: 4115961055_c8f8b7f220.jpg]
Underside view of the front cockpit/fuselage section showing rudder bar

Enjoy!

[edit FINALLY got the pics to work!!]

Fight! Glad to see you back! Great model you have there. How are you doing? Get your computer all squared away?

Blue Skies,

Nice model! Wish you the best of luck with this (rather daunting) build. :wink: By the way, how much does the whole thing cost?

XB-49

Doodle,

Computer is still screwy... having to use my OLD computer. With my classes in full swing and constant reports to do, still haven't come around to fixing things. Ugh! But, it's all fun. This airplane is proving to be my therapy!

XB,

Thank you, the directions are nice and clear and take all of the guessing out of it. So far it has been simple... the plumbing is pretty challenging, but so far so good. The difficult part is going to be installing the control cables and the tension cables throughout the fuselage frame! Smile The kit costs $200. It's going to have about a 22 inch wingspan... the wings are going to take some serious time.

Hehehehe, well glad to see ya around again. Best of luck with your Model, College and your computer.

Blue skies,

wow---

Looks interesting

Planemad

Just received sub kit #3. To my surprise it was the top wing! I was expecting to finish the fuselage next, but will have to put that on the back burner.

This includes 32 laser cut ribs, 28 rib leading edge pieces, a good 60 metal pieces including wingtips, trailing edges, turnbuckles, control horns for the ailerons, tension bars and pullies. It also includes about 30 strips of basswood of various dimensions for rib caps, spars and other parts in the wing.

The first task is constructing each individual rib, followed by installing them on the spars, then installing the ailerons, then the leading edge/trailing edge/wingtip frames. Lastly I will connect the tension cables within the the wing structure.

Smile

Some fantstic work there!! Confusedhock: Looking forward to the final product. Just wondering what the final cost will be?

Very detailed work. Big Grin