[WIP] Cutting lines... *UPDATED*

See.. it's guys like you lot that keep taking this game forward, thrashing out new ideas or bull ringing problems, and not only that, you are allowing us all to see the results as they develop.
Great stuff chaps!

Thanks VonBarb.

You did a very very good job here. It would be interresting to compare both work, yours and mine when Kyushu will be released, i'm shure we can find together and with all the other map makers here the best way to make realistic landscapes.

Your task is harder than mine maybe because the maps your are working on have few relief and as i said somewhere in another post, relief is a good way to avoid the repetitive effect as it break those horrible lines.

Taking exemple with repainted Hawaii here......

[Image: 4138744637_6e3a89c069_b.jpg]

You can notice that there is almost no repetitive effect...and at the period i made this, so 2-3 month ago before Okinawa repainted map, i hadn't realise the importance of that problem. You can't see that in this particular pic these very first textures are repetive but the lines are broken by the relief.

Here WIP Kyushu : no problem when there is relief....but the problems start with those textures in the back....where there is no relief. But i'm optimist because i haven't manually painted the back scene now

[Image: 4137196384_c8bd988ddc_b.jpg]

So....good work mate :wink: :!: . Very helpful topic !

Very nice Work Von Barb , Love this project because you will bring IL 2 to more realistic landscapes Thanks again Big Grin 8)

Just a quick correction : My aim is not to make the landscapes look more realistic, it is to avoid those big repetition lines. In my own humble opinion, it looks better but that comes at the cost of perhaps less realism. The texture slot I used for the buffers was used by Canon to represent another kind of landscape type, so my 'hijacking' it destroyed what he originally meant to represent with it.

I am very happy if you think it looks more realistic but it was never meant to be.

More updates to follow soon. I'm still testing it with all different texture sets and trying to decide wether I want to include the Winter maps as well. I have decided not to make a buffer for Martin's textures, as he has stated his intention to make more textures, representing France and Europe, so I will let him decide wether he wishes to make a 'buffer' texture or not.

Cheers

Nico

Just some (late) idea if not already done :
I noticed that in actual landscapes, hills are less cultivated than valleys and river sides.

maybe your "buffer texture" should be placed with some connection with slopes (using map_H data ?).

Explanation:
your buffer tex. appears like some kind of dull open grass field.

RULES :
-Bottom of valleys near rivers : no buffer tex .
-More slope = more buffer tex
-Low areas = less buffer tex
-high areas = more buffer tex

redko Wrote:Bye the way Thrud when do you think we will have the great pleasure to touch your map ? Smile

viewtopic.php?t=8532&start=300

"your buffer tex. appears like some kind of dull open grass field." Cheers mate, I'm thoroughly enjoying you textures too Wink But you're right though, that is exactly what they are. That's the basic idea at the core of the project : textures that look dull at high altitudes so as to create as little repetitions as possible, but have enough detail at low altitudes to fit in the landscape.

RULES :
-Bottom of valleys near rivers : no buffer tex .
-More slope = more buffer tex
-Low areas = less buffer tex
-high areas = more buffer tex

Not a bad idea. As a matter of fact that is precisely what Canon originally did with the texture slot I am using for the 'buffer' texture Big Grin At first I tried to keep as much of the geographically relevant texture assignment pattern as I could, to benefit from both the 'random buffer' effect and the 'realistic placement' pattern that Canon used. It soon appeared this would be causing issues in many areas, where the two patterns would overlap, creating wide areas entirely covered with the 'Buffer' texture, which made those areas look like defaut Smolensk from 4000+ meters.

I just rather recently drove across Normandy, from Caen to Rennes (via Ste M

... Well, nothing more to add :wink: