[SOLVED!] Channel Map Trees, how can I reduce them?

Hi guys,
Firstly, thanks again to CanonUK for his superb English Channel map, which for me, being a Kentish lad is the best thing since sliced bread!
Now, I've searched through many threads on here included the 30+ page official Channel Map thread about Trees and how to reduce them.

I run Perfect mode, which for most other maps gives me a comfortable 24-50fps throughout, perhaps dropping lower when the action gets hotter.
This is also true for the Channel Map for most of the time, Airfields are fine for me, Paris and London I easily get 30fps and other built up areas for that matter.
General flying at medium altitude is fine, but when I fly over the vast populated trees in the countryside, (the ones you can fly through, excuse my ignorance if there are proper terms for these!)
then my frames really suffer, and we're talking as low as 9fps sometimes!

My question is, can I turn off or reduce the number of these trees without affecting any other stationary objects in the map, because as mentioned above, I have no problem with these and they look super!
I did read somewhere something about 'lite actors'? Is this what I need?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

twostix

I don't know muchm about those "light actors" but to reduce fps drop due to trees, you can get in your Conf.Ini file and change Forests=2 to Forest=1 or even 0. You find it somewhere in the lower part of your Conf.Ini file under OpenGL section.

Hope this helps.

~S~

Endtyme Wrote:I don't know muchm about those "light actors" but to reduce fps drop due to trees, you can get in your Conf.Ini file and change Forests=2 to Forest=1 or even 0. You find it somewhere in the lower part of your Conf.Ini file under OpenGL section.

Hope this helps.

~S~

Hi Endtyme,
Thanks for your reply! I'm not at my IL2 PC right now, but am pretty sure I already did that.
It helped but only by a couple of FPS. I may be mistaken but doesn't that only affect the 'invisi-trees' ?

Thanks.

twostix Wrote:
Endtyme Wrote:I don't know muchm about those "light actors" but to reduce fps drop due to trees, you can get in your Conf.Ini file and change Forests=2 to Forest=1 or even 0. You find it somewhere in the lower part of your Conf.Ini file under OpenGL section.

Hope this helps.

~S~

Hi Endtyme,
Thanks for your reply! I'm not at my IL2 PC right now, but am pretty sure I already did that.
It helped but only by a couple of FPS. I may be mistaken but doesn't that only affect the 'invisi-trees' ?

Thanks.

true - the conf.ini settings only affect the"Forest" map textures, not trees which are "Objects" (ie "Actors").

I can't give which link it was right away, but a while ago, Cannon himself I believe, released a light version of this map, one without the trees.

The actors file size went down from 5mb to 3mb, meaning a very significant drop in the number of trees as objects.

There are also map tools and actors tools that allow you the possibility to remove a specific type of object from an actors file should you so wish. They are not run-of-the-mill programs, but not hard to use either.

if it's the 3d auto generated and not the Oleg invisible disc trees or tree objects placed by a mission or map maker, look in the texture folder for that map. If there are files named something_fields_something.tree.tga just put a "-" in front of the file name and see if gets the result you were looking for.

Thanks guys, appreciate your responses.
It is indeed the 3d auto generated trees that populate the countryside.
I will have a look and try what you suggested Thrud.

twostix

Hi guys,
the load .ini for the map references this:

[WOOD]
Wood0 = forest/summer/Wood0.tga
Wood1 = forest/summer/Wood1.tga
Wood2 = forest/summer/Wood2.tga
Wood3 = forest/summer/Wood3.tga
Wood4 = forest/summer/Wood4.tga

WoodMask2 = forest/summer/ForestMask.tga
WoodMask3 = forest/summer/ForestMask2.tga
WoodMiniMasks = forest/summer/MiniMask.tga
SideWood = forest/summer/ForestSide.tga

On first glance I can't seem to trace these files, but if/when i can do you think hyphenating them might do it?

whats your forrest setting in the OpenGL section?

imho low fps comes from the large number of the different placed objects on a map, second reason can be the size and complexity of the 3d relief map, third reason can be the overall size of textures used, trees as a reason would come after this unless you got forrest=3, in that case add ",2" after the texture name and you'll turn off autogenerated trees

cheers

vpmedia Wrote:whats your forrest setting in the OpenGL section?

imho low fps comes from the large number of the different placed objects on a map, second reason can be the size and complexity of the 3d relief map, third reason can be the overall size of textures used, trees as a reason would come after this unless you got forrest=3, in that case add ",2" after the texture name and you'll turn off autogenerated trees

cheers

Hi vpmedia,

Thanks for your response.
Do you mean changing conf.ini to say forest=2? If so, as i've said before, I tried this. Infact i think i've got it on forest=1.
Forgive me if i've misunderstood you though!

I played again last night and once again when i climbed to the altitude at which the autogenerated trees were out of visibility, my frames went from 10-20fps to 40-50fps.
:? :???: :? :???:

p.s. love your skins by the way :wink:

There was a tool available on the site called "Lumberjack" that should do what you need.
Do a search. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll re-upload it.

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

{HVY-E}Jinxx Wrote:There was a tool available on the site called "Lumberjack" that should do what you need.
Do a search. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll re-upload it.

Hi Jinxx.
I did a search and found the thread for Lumberjack, but the file is unavailable for d/l.
Would you mind sending it to me or uploading it?

Many thanks!!!!

Hi Guys, looks like i've got round my frame loss, it was those darned trees!

Thank you all for your help, especially Thrud and zippzapp who told me where to look to find the offending timber.

What I have actually done is to take the xxx.tree.tga files (the autogen tree plates) into photoshop and reduced the coverage by about 80% per plate, of which there are 16. Now, this has given me a dramatic increase in FPS, and i'm talking from 9-15 to now 30-60 fps!!!!

If anyone else had the same problem as me, i'd be willing to put together a 'reduced tree pack' for the channel map and make it available for d/l. I could grade it to tailor for individual systems whereby you can replace plates to get the right balance of visual quality and playable frames. I had to be pretty brutal, because those lovely trees were killing it for me, but even now although they are sparse, the map still looks fantastic!