Varnish question for modelers

I've been using 2 types of varnish, and I keep having the same issues with them:

1: Vallejo matt varnish spray - after drying there are some withe patches, like the salty ones on your skin after swimming in the sea.

2: Vallejo satin varnish spray - The decals shrink and become creased (only the big ones)

What am I doing wrong? :-?

Thanks!

Hi Reflected,

Are you using the ready to use Vallejo varnish? (the type that you can just airbrush straight on without diluting?)

I am not a big fan of Vallejo paints, have always found them to be much to thick and requiring a lot of dilution to make them work right. (mind you, I haven't used Vallejo for a couple of years, so maybe that has been corrected by now)

I prefer Tamiya acrylics personally, but everyone has there own favorites. I just find with Tamiya the mixture ratio is pretty well always 50/50, which makes mixing way easy! Big Grin

Anyway, as far as our problem goes, it sounds to me like either there is too much water in the mix which could result in the decals crinkling up and the white patchiness. (I sometimes mix my paint with a high water dilution on purpose to get the discoloring effect)

Another simple thing to check, is you airbrush nice and clean before you apply the varnish? If there is still some cleaning residue in the gun, that could also cause those kind of problems.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out!

Dale

For the base colors on my models, I use AeroMaster, Floquil, Testor, and Humbrol paints (I

Always used Humbrol matt varnish now. Other varnishs i have used have occasionaly left the same 'white' stains. One way to beat it is to really thin the varnish down, and be prepared to 'mist' on the coats - maybe as many as 3 or 4 times (i.e. after 1st coat you'll only notice a slight dulling of the finish.)

I expect you've already tried this approach.....