Textures Transparent

I've been fiddling about trying to make textures that are partially transparent. But I haven't had much luck, especially since I know very little about tga files to begin with and even less about alpha channels - should that be the way such things work in the first place.

What I have been trying to do is make transparent textures that are in effect a number of bombing craters. Such transparent textures could be placed over existing textures to give the appearance of a bombed landscape - either aerial or artillery.

It is quite simple to make new landscape textures that contain bombing craters, but then you need one new texture layer per landscape type you want to give a bombed effect to. To give some variety that would mean making at least 2 versions of that texture - one heavily bombed and less heavily bombed, or with different patterns or whatever. Using 2 or 3 different landscape textures that would eventually necessitate 4 to 6 new textures assigned in the load.ini. For many maps too high a number.

But with 2 or 3 different transparent bombing textures, these could be superposed over any texture at all and give the look of a bombed landscape, much like adding roads and railways works I would hope. Imagine being able to paint in a cratered landscape onto any part of the map at all ...

But as I said, I have no idea how and if this would work.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated, or just shooting down the idea as impractical in-game would be useful as well, so no more time be spent on pursuing an unobtainable result.

Airbrush the alpha channel with opacity 5-10% . Build up as required.

- Or adjust layer opacity.

Add gaussian blur to borders so it blends with whatever it overlays.